First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Taking apart an XB..

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 03:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Taking apart an XB..

Can someone give me a source where I can find information on how to take apart an xb? I really want to try to save 60 bucks and install my new head unit my sell, but I cant figure out how tweeter center ran the speaker wire and high level input to under my front passenger seat to my amp.. I took out the stock head unit, and saw the wires running down the center console and possibly to the right..
Old 12-03-2004, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member

Look in the Tech section. I'm pretty sure there is a how-to in there.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:42 AM
5 Year Member

Or you can just disconnect the wires from the amp and if they're not pinched in between anything just pull the wire through.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

They probably either ran them down the center under the shift console or along the passenger lower door trim to under the seat. Look at the amp wiring and see if it looks like it comes from the left or right. The center shift console has a screw in the rear cupholder and then a few pressure clips up front. Just remove the screw and pull up on the rear of the console. Be careful to disconnect the wires as you pull it up if you have either an Auto or cupholder lights. For the door trim and kick panel, just grab and pull...
Old 12-03-2004, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where is the tech section? I wish I could get pictures on how to do this.. I want to install the head unit myself, it will give me a sense of accomplishment
Old 12-03-2004, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

First thing you should do is go by the adaptor harness.

This way you don't have to cut up the one in the truck.

Also, you can go to CC or BB and ask them for a make-to-radio harness (like, Toyota-to-Alpine), this way you don't even have to connect the wires.

Makes the whole install plug-and-play.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took out the center console around the shifter and hand brake. Once that piece was off, I was really expecting to see the speaker wire and stuff but I didnt.. I then took out the front passenger seat where my amp is and tugged on some of the wires, and it appears as though they are in fact coming from the center console.. Is there something else that pops off once u get the large piece of plastic off?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Pictures?? Did someone say they wanted Pictures?? This may seriously help!

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...gation+install

Good luck.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

just the carpeting I think...

Another thought, if you are in fact wanting to replace that wiring that you are trying to find - Tape the AMP ends of your new wiring to the ends near the HU. Do it smoothly so there is as little bulk as possible and nothing to hang on stuff. Then try pulling the wiring thru from the amp end and it should feed the wiring right thru the same place, assuming no hangups, etc. Keep pulling until you get to the tape and your set...
Old 12-03-2004, 10:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm. so ur saying in order for tweeter to install my amp in my car, they pulled up all the carpeting thruout the entire car?
Old 12-03-2004, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Maybe you better describe your setup better. My understanding is that you've got an amp under pass. seat connected to HU - what else is going down? Sub?

They wouldn't have to take all the carpet out. I've got wires running up thru the trunk to the center console and they are under, but I didn't take it all out. I was thinking that they might run under the carpet from the seat to the center console area and up to the HU, if not, they must go around the passenger side. Grap the center trim piece in the pass. door jamb and pull it off - do you see wiring running thru there?

The wires exiting the amp - where do they appear to go?
Old 12-03-2004, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only thing I have in my car is an amp at the moment. They go thru that little mountain under front passenger seat.. What do u mean by the passenger door jam? I took some plastic piece off before on the passenger side, and I saw this clear tub thingy running down there (looked like a long piece of hot glue lol)..
Old 12-03-2004, 11:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

That clear tube is for the rear washer fluid squirter. Sounds like the wirings in the center. Try taking off the plastic piece at the base of the AC/Radio console - the piece at the very bottom, touching the carpet. There is a plastic pushlock pin on the right hand side. Pull on it to release and then it swings around and pulls off. I believe the edge of the carpeting hooks on a little nub there under the passenger side. You should be able to find where the wiring is running down thru there...

Where are you located, it might be easier to drive out than all this darned typing. hehehe
Old 12-04-2004, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im located in the philadelphia area... so i doubt u are close by.

EDIT: You were right about that plastic piece I pulled it off and I see all the wires, except the ground coming down by there. Where could the ground wire be grounded to? It then runs under the carpeting (I noticed there is a lot of padding) thru a hole under the mount and pops right out..looks like it runs across the carpet in front of the passenger seat and I guess under that mound eventually. A question I have is, if I run the rca's the same way, is it safe to run them under the carpeting like they did even though it will be under a good amount of padding? I just dont want the wires getting damaged by people stepping on it all the time.. Also when I pulled out the hu, i noticed they have the remote turnon wire spliced into the factory harness I think.. When my alpine head unit goes in, is there a spot right on the back to plug that wire into? Also tweeter said, when they install a new after market hu they upgrade the ground - what exactly does it do? As far as running wires go, I can do it simply now thanks to ur help, its just a matter of figuring out the ground now I think...
Old 12-04-2004, 12:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bump, someone look at my last post
Old 12-04-2004, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Where could the ground wire be grounded to?
The ground is probably much closer to the amp. It's always a good idea to keep wiring as short as possible; 1. less wire means less chance of noise getting in the system, 2. it's easier to install 3. less power loss due to the resistance in the wire.

A question I have is, if I run the rca's the same way, is it safe to run them under the carpeting like they did even though it will be under a good amount of padding?
The wiring should be fine but I suggest routing it around the normal foot placement area just to be safe. Also be sure to keep the RCA cables as far away from the power as possible. RCAs are the most susceptible to picking up electrical noise.

When my alpine head unit goes in, is there a spot right on the back to plug that wire into?
The Alpine should have an output that is either dedicated as a remote turn-on or just use the power antenna wire. However, make sure you the power antenna wire is still connected to the factory harness. There's apparently an antenna booster built into the car and it doesn't work without that power. I found that out the hard way.

Also tweeter said, when they install a new after market hu they upgrade the ground - what exactly does it do?
I'm not sure what he's referring to unless he means they add a chassis ground for the HU. It can be a good idea to run another wire connected to the frame of the radio and ground it to make sure everything gets a good ground. Electrical components that aren't grounded properly can reak havoc.

On another note about running your wires; the channel that your seat sits on has a hole on the outside end that you can run your wiring through. That's where I routed mine and it works great for keeping them out of harm's way and looking as neat as possible.

Good luck!
Old 12-04-2004, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you seem pretty knowledgeable chadfo.. Do you think just grounding the amp itself is sufficent? Or do I have to ground the head unit to? My head unit should be arriving tuesday, but its supposed to be a christmas gift, so I most likely wont be able to install it yet Im just doing the prep work now so ill have it all ready.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Another question... I just started tearing aprt my car, I have the passenger seat out.. I realized in order to get the carpet up far enough for what I need I have to take the driver seat out too Anyhow, when I disconnected the connector from under the car seat which is the seat belt sensor, I guess it was disconnected too long and now the airbag light is on in the dash.. If I plug that connector back in when the seat is put back, will it go away or do I have to do something special..

EDIT: Check out these pics I took of my dismantling.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/tristansmith587/xb
Old 12-05-2004, 12:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

If you use a install a plug kit for the factory harness the radio will be grounded. I didn't see a need to add an extra ground when I installed mine. Make sure your amp has a very good ground. Wherever you screw it take a few minutes to scrape away the paint to ensure good contact. Practically anything metal in the car will make a good ground.

I didn't take the seats out when I did mine. I was able to pull everything back enough without that so I didn't have the experience with the airbag light. Hopefully, as with many things, after a short while the computer will recognize it has been reconnected and the light will go off.

Oh, and not to criticize but good luck with your Alpine. I used to buy them too until one day I realized that none of them ever lasted more than 3 years. To some people that's not a big deal but they cost enough to last longer than that. I switched to Pioneer. I haven't hit the 3 year mark yet so I don't know if they'll be any better but I had to try.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

jee thanks... lol alpine is good I thought

Quick Reply: Taking apart an XB..