Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Thinking about switching from a VW

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member

Default Thinking about switching from a VW

So, every car ive owned has been a VW (mk2 Jetta GLi, mk3 Golf, and now a mk4 GTI).
My current car is a 1.8T. - im slightly dissatisfied with the general "quality" of the car (it has its issues). Dont get me wrong, I like my car, its pretty quick, but it goes to the dealer every few months for 'issues'.

Anyway, im considering getting an xB or tC. Im leaning towards the xB because I could use the extra space.

Im worried about a few things.
#1. 108hp. Im worried about going from my 180hp to 108hp. I have a feeling I wont be happy with it.
#2. Moving from a VW to a Toyota kinda worries me (ive never owned a toyota)- the general "feel" of the GTI is pretty nice - nice feel to the interior plastics, nice heavy doors, etc. Im worried that the scion will feel less then adequate.

Now for the Pro's.
#1. The xB is awesome - unique. Definately turns some heads.
#2. Im sure the insurance is cheaper (I pay $2800 a year for my GTI)
#3. Cheaper car payment. (not completely sure about this, depends how upside down i will be on my GTI)

I have been wanting to go drive the 5 speed xB but the local dealer has very limited inventory.

Anyone have any suggestions? Tips?

Thanks
Old 07-16-2004, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It's definately a different car from the xB. The tC is a much closer comparison to the 1.8T GTI. The best thing to do is drive em both and see what fits your needs best~ Good luck~Dan
Old 07-16-2004, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

depends on what u really needs...

xb= more room, great gas mileage...no more 91 like your vw...haha
tc= sporty, faster
Old 07-16-2004, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

It may not put up high numbers from a comparison standpoint, but it doesn't seem to be lacking in power to me.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also came from a VW, well actually from several VWs. This is my first Toyota and I love it. I needed something with more room, and although I love the GTis, I'm more satisfied with my xB. It's nowhere as fast as your GTi, but gets better gas mileage and has MUCH more room inside with a stylish exterior.
I thought about getting a newer GTi instead, but wanted a 20th Anniv. Ed. which was MUCH more expensive than the xB, and with the MKV coming out next year, I didn't want to have an out-dated car that is only a year old.

And there's no bad MAFs, ignition coils, window regulators, and CELs thrown all the time...

Just go check 'em out, go for a test drive or two, and see whatcha like...
Old 07-16-2004, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had a new beetle, I like my xB a lot more.
Old 07-17-2004, 04:23 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for all of the replies.

I know there are 3rd party turbo kits out there. Are there any dealer installed options for forced induction?
TRD supercharger or anything?
Old 07-17-2004, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know for a fact we have 5spd Scion xBs here in stock at R&H Toyota, thats not far from Towson.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks, you guys are in Reisterstown right?

Are you a salesman or tech or what?

Also, as a general question - i was reading in the scion literature about the Lava and how there will be more 'limited editions'.....anyone know about these? and when they might be out?
Old 07-17-2004, 03:00 PM
5 Year Member

Default Audi TT

I went from a 2000 Audi TT 1.8T to an xB.

Sure, the main thing I miss is the power of 180 h.p. All manufactures have a signature ride & feel to them.

Trade off is xB fuel economy, bigger, & the TT was starting to add up on service problems. The VW's & Audis are nice when new (& big $$$). When they get a couple years on them they really start to self distruct. Toyota seems to be built better to last longer.

Had my xB for a year now & very happy with it. Try it on a test drive, then decide.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never like VW / Audi
They're just so full of problem.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Banned
SL Member

I had a new Gls conv....the pick up on the Xa/Xb is much better....i would get the XB
Old 07-18-2004, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dubweiser

Also, as a general question - i was reading in the scion literature about the Lava and how there will be more 'limited editions'.....anyone know about these? and when they might be out?
No idea when the will be released but the RS 2.0 is suppose to be a red xA. Which means more than likely the RS 3.0 will be a tC. Hopefully a yellow one.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks, you guys are in Reisterstown right?

Are you a salesman or tech or what?

I'm a Tech, but I just check out all the Scions we have on the lot all the time so I know what we have.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I've got a beetle now. 1.8t and 180hp is how it started. Don't be too concerned about the 108hp, there are heavier cars out there with less power. (ie 2.0's )
Old 07-22-2004, 05:17 AM
5 Year Member

Yeah, I've got a '98 Beetle with the 2.0. I've driven it the last two days so I could check it out and get it washed and photographed prior to selling it. It has a *lot* of things that annoy me, whereas the xB has maybe two.

The Beetle is more powerful, but really has no legs on the highway. You can wind out the engine and it's like there's nothing left after 4500 rpm. The radio is a complete piece of hideous, poorly-engineered crap (and I don't even mean the sound). The cupholders are a joke, and there's no ashtray for holding little bits of trash. Etc...

But then, I'm clearly not a VW guy, eh?
Old 07-23-2004, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member

I dont know what im going to do.

If i got the xB, im definately gonna miss the power of the 1.8T. Bill Kidds Toyota emailed me today and told me he has a tC in for me to test drive.

I think i might ride up there and test drive the xB.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:03 PM
5 Year Member

So I test drove a TC with the TRD exhaust. I really liked it. Im gonna go back and test drive a manual xB.
Old 08-17-2004, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Thinking about switching from a VW

So, every car ive owned has been a VW (mk2 Jetta GLi, mk3 Golf, and now a mk4 GTI).
My current car is a 1.8T. - im slightly dissatisfied with the general "quality" of the car (it has its issues). Dont get me wrong, I like my car, its pretty quick, but it goes to the dealer every few months for 'issues'.

I'm a former VW owner here too, so I can chime in here with some relevant experience. I had a Mk4 Jetta TDI, but I've driven my friends GTI 1.8T frequently.

Im worried about a few things.
#1. 108hp. Im worried about going from my 180hp to 108hp. I have a feeling I wont be happy with it.
You won't be happy with it if you like shooting off from stoplights and getting ahead of people anytime you want. Sorry. The xB is not sluggish, but compared to the 1.8T it's going to feel quite slow.

#2. Moving from a VW to a Toyota kinda worries me (ive never owned a toyota)- the general "feel" of the GTI is pretty nice - nice feel to the interior plastics, nice heavy doors, etc. Im worried that the scion will feel less then adequate.
You'll find that the xB's "dashstroker" quality is surprisingly close to the VW's. The first thing you will notice is the doors feel less substantial though, ESPECIALLY the rear doors which weigh like 4 oz. However, just a close look over the interior will tell you that it will be as durable as any VW. It's a huge leap forward in interiors for cars in this price range. Toyota's reliability is without question and the resale value is much better than with a Volkswagen, for what it's worth. They also have the parts they need in stock and won't have you waiting 2 months for a part from Germany the way VW does.

Now for the Pro's.
#1. The xB is awesome - unique. Definately turns some heads.
#2. Im sure the insurance is cheaper (I pay $2800 a year for my GTI)
#3. Cheaper car payment. (not completely sure about this, depends how upside down i will be on my GTI)

I have been wanting to go drive the 5 speed xB but the local dealer has very limited inventory.

Anyone have any suggestions? Tips?

Thanks

I'd suggest driving the 5 speed, but if you are used to your GTI, you've got to realize you will be giving away alot of performance. Be SURE that the acceleration is acceptable to you. The xB is peppier than a 2.0 Golf/Jetta, but that's not saying much. The acceleration is about the same as a 150 hp 1.8T Passat, if you've ever driven one of those. 8.9-9 sec 0-60. Not blisteringly fast, but not pokey.

They are inexpensive and financing is easy to get. I got financed at 5% with $0 down on my xB and I was in and out of the showroom in 1 hour. The customer service and no BS attitude of the sales staff will impress you. Definitely the most pleasureable car buying experience I've had by far and I've bought 4 new cars and been along with others when they bought theirs (brought along for my master ball-breaking skills)

If money isn't an issue, but you need the room--- I'd tell you to get a Subaru WRX wagon or a Forester XT. Either one of them will smoke your 1.8T, plus they have AWD. I've seen brand-new WRX wagons going for $19k.

The insurance should be about the same as your GTI for one of those...possibly a tiny bit higher.

I say go and drive the xB though. If you can find a better new car for under $15k, buy it!