Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Thinking of buying an xB...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member

Default Thinking of buying an xB...

I need a practical, reliable and preferrably cheap car. At first, I hated the way the xB looked but it grew on to me. I test drove an auto xA before, didn't get the chance to test drive the xB. I was wondering if any of you guys that own xBs suffer from alot of body roll? Do they tip over as easily as an suv would? Just looking at em, they look tall so I'd assume they wouldn't turn as well as the xA or other cars in its class.

Any comments?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't think, just do it.

the xB is on the frame of a car not an SUV, so it'll tip over as much as a car would. you'd have to be cornering pretty hard to turn it, i'd think.

do it, join the club, we'd love to have you.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Thinking of buying an xB...

Originally Posted by VizionzOfAmun
I need a practical, reliable and preferrably cheap car. At first, I hated the way the xB looked but it grew on to me.
You just said exactly what I was looking for when getting a new car. I had 2 mustangs for over 10 years. I can honestly say now that the Scion handles much better than the stang. Obviously it doesn't have the pickup that the stang does. But the box is either as good or better in everything else. Its a wise investment as far as I'm concerned. But I just got the box this week. Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-26-2005, 05:45 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BigBaby
don't think, just do it.

the xB is on the frame of a car not an SUV, so it'll tip over as much as a car would. you'd have to be cornering pretty hard to turn it, i'd think.

do it, join the club, we'd love to have you.
thanks alot for the warm welcome/invite. i should probably go and test drive one myself soon, i'm anxious to start modding one up. have you driven the xA? if you did, do they drive fairly different? i noticed alot of the specs, aside from size, are the identical, the xA is just a bit too small for my taste.

as for speed, even tho they're only 4-cyl cars, do the manual tranny ones pick up well? keep in mind, i had a slightly hooked up '91 civic dx which i just recently got rid of.

i'd just like to get a better idea of it before i walk into the local toyota dealership. i wouldn't wanna rely on most of the things the salesman will say as my source of knowledge for the car.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:50 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Man in the Box
I need a practical, reliable and preferrably cheap car. At first, I hated the way the xB looked but it grew on to me.
You just said exactly what I was looking for when getting a new car. I had 2 mustangs for over 10 years. I can honestly say now that the Scion handles much better than the stang. Obviously it doesn't have the pickup that the stang does. But the box is either as good or better in everything else. Its a wise investment as far as I'm concerned. But I just got the box this week. Good luck and have fun!
first and foremost, congrats on your new ride. going from a domestic to a toyota is a big difference, i'm sure you're still gettin used to it. but i've been faithful in scion since they first made their debut to the auto industry considering they're toyotas. as far as investment, i used to sell nissans last year and i still love them, but in terms of "best bang for your buck", scion is #1 by a long shot.

i'd go to a dealership right now but i'd just get stuck test driving one in traffic, i'll set the date for sunday.

how's the insurance on them?
Old 08-26-2005, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member

Going from a v6 to a 4 cyl isn't the easiest thing. I've had to get used to it a bit. Its still got good enough pickup though and I'll get it up into the 3's and 4's before I shift...not bad though.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="VizionzOfAmun"]

I work for State Farm. Insurance on the boxes are cheap compared to other new vehicles. They have a low IRG (stands for Insurance Rating Group) which keeps the cost of the comp and collision down on your policy.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member

first and foremost, congrats on your new ride. going from a domestic to a toyota is a big difference, i'm sure you're still gettin used to it. but i've been faithful in scion since they first made their debut to the auto industry considering they're toyotas. as far as investment, i used to sell nissans last year and i still love them, but in terms of "best bang for your buck", scion is #1 by a long shot.

i'd go to a dealership right now but i'd just get stuck test driving one in traffic, i'll set the date for sunday.

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. Its a good sort of adjustment. I figure the box is my practical ride, the motorcycle's the fun ride HAHAHA!

My insurance is going to go down anywhere from 200-400 bucks a year over the used mustang. I don't know if I've EVER heard that happening...A used car being MORE expensive than a new one?
Old 08-26-2005, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member

Going from a v6 to a 4 cyl isn't the easiest thing. I've had to get used to it a bit. Its still got good enough pickup though and I'll get it up into the 3's and 4's before I shift...not bad though.
yeah tell me about it. after junking my 91 civic after an accident a few months ago, i've been driving my sister's 96 altima gxe, a v6. the difference in torque is amazing, aside from the fact that turning on the ac is barely noticeable now.

i was really impressed by the pickup on the auto xA when i drove it, i'd love to get my hands on a manual xB to see what that feels like. the numbers in hp/tq are low but i didn't realize the vvt-i on it would add that much of a kick to it. i really don't need a 13 second car either tho, i'm in traffic alot, so something fairly quick is enough for me.

[quote="SOBAY310"]

I work for State Farm. Insurance on the boxes are cheap compared to other new vehicles. They have a low IRG (stands for Insurance Rating Group) which keeps the cost of the comp and collision down on your policy.
that's just heaven to my ears, i really needed to hear that, many thanks. why are they so low though, is it b/c of toyota's name?

Thanks, man. I appreciate it. Its a good sort of adjustment. I figure the box is my practical ride, the motorcycle's the fun ride HAHAHA!

My insurance is going to go down anywhere from 200-400 bucks a year over the used mustang. I don't know if I've EVER heard that happening...A used car being MORE expensive than a new one?
lol! yeah i haven't heard of that either, and that's a fairly large difference to top it off. i was paying only $60 of insurance on my civic every 6 months. i'm ready to pay more, just as long as the insurance doesn't exceed the financed payments.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

DON'T THINK JUST BUY YOU CAN'T GO WRONG .
Old 08-26-2005, 06:49 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

To go back to the rollover question, You'll have a tough time tipping this thing. It may be boxy, but the overall height is not what it seems in pictures. It's only a couple inches taller than the xA (four inches maybe?) It is a small car. If you want to handle a bit better, get the strut tower brace and lower it. This combination helped me bigtime in the cornering dept. It's fun leaving other cars in the dust on an onramp or offramp.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I need a practical, reliable and preferrably cheap car. At first, I hated the way the xB looked but it grew on to me. I test drove an auto xA before, didn't get the chance to test drive the xB. I was wondering if any of you guys that own xBs suffer from alot of body roll? Do they tip over as easily as an suv would? Just looking at em, they look tall so I'd assume they wouldn't turn as well as the xA or other cars in its class.
I initially went to the dealer looking at the xA because I wanted a stubby, 4 door, high MPG car to replace my 98 beetle. I test drove both the xA and xB. Both are great cars, but I *loved* the xB after driving it. no sense of tippiness. Both cars actually felt similar in handling, but the xB is huge inside, and the visibility out the windows is better than the xA.
I ended up buying the xB, and the boxy shape grows on me more and more.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Max
To go back to the rollover question, You'll have a tough time tipping this thing. It may be boxy, but the overall height is not what it seems in pictures. It's only a couple inches taller than the xA (four inches maybe?) It is a small car. If you want to handle a bit better, get the strut tower brace and lower it. This combination helped me bigtime in the cornering dept. It's fun leaving other cars in the dust on an onramp or offramp.
yeah i'm definitely gona buy whatever i can through the dealership/trd to add on to the car, mainly to avoid possible issues with warranties in the future. it's just tough to imagine something with that structure being able to turn so well, considering it looks like a van+suv hybrid, even though i do believe everyone here when you all say it handles well.

Originally Posted by pebble
I initially went to the dealer looking at the xA because I wanted a stubby, 4 door, high MPG car to replace my 98 beetle. I test drove both the xA and xB. Both are great cars, but I *loved* the xB after driving it. no sense of tippiness. Both cars actually felt similar in handling, but the xB is huge inside, and the visibility out the windows is better than the xA.
I ended up buying the xB, and the boxy shape grows on me more and more.
Same story here actually. I loved how agile my hatchback civic was and therefore i wanted a car with a simliar body structure, hence the xA. but eventually, the extreme originality of the xB seeped into my mental taste buds and i discovered that in terms of modding it, there are limitless possibilities.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:06 PM
5 Year Member

yea im thinking of getting it too
after i get ride of my 03 civic
its teh xb first choice
Old 08-26-2005, 10:46 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default XB is superior to Civic

i had a civic to small and just the same underpwrness like 108 hp. Its a step up from civic but i think the new accord might have an edge on the box. Now the new 06 civic will be interesting and the new FIT Honda wonder if this vehcile will cost less then XB and have better gas mileage? A 91 civic the XB is three times the car
Old 08-26-2005, 11:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like it if there was less roll in the xB. I came from a VW New Beetle and they ride like they are on rails, typical German suspension and so forth, so I definitely miss that. But I love the xB. Getting on to a highway during rush hour is a bit of a thrill, but...I'm doing ok. Love the view and feel of interior room, and I'm enjoying the fuel mileage too.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:18 AM
5 Year Member

Default Re: XB is superior to Civic

Originally Posted by tacomatrd
i had a civic to small and just the same underpwrness like 108 hp. Its a step up from civic but i think the new accord might have an edge on the box. Now the new 06 civic will be interesting and the new FIT Honda wonder if this vehcile will cost less then XB and have better gas mileage? A 91 civic the XB is three times the car
my civic was running a little under a 17 second 1/4 mile and it was only a dx model, i was quite surprised by the pickup and acceleration it gave me, especially after replacing the timing belt with a much better quality and more durable one considering it was old.

i've heard of the Honda FIT, it looks like crap. it's just gonna be for people that don't care much about their car's appearance n just want it for fuel efficiency alone.

the xB is by far a much better car than a 91 civic, they're almost incomparable. as far as handling goes.. well, i'll have to see/judge that for myself...