Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Three minute warm-up for my xB--darn

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 04:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Three minute warm-up for my xB--darn

My dealer told me to wait approximately three minutes after starting my '06 xB for the temperature gauge to go from red to blue. He said it's like re-booting your computer, necessary for the automatic transmission.

I don't like waiting. It's changing my patterns of movement! What will happen if I don't wait?
Old 10-19-2005, 04:49 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

does not go red to blue. Goes from blue to off.

At least wait a few seconds before taking off if need be.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nothing will happen if you dont wait 3 minutes. that just makes no sense..Ive never waited for the blue to go off and she runs better eachday..
Old 10-19-2005, 06:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

3 minutes?!?!? yeah, it doesnt harm the engine, just kill your gas mileage. i wait about 30sec before driving.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just let the engine idle for 20 or 30 seconds and then drive conservatively until the blue light goes away. Idleing until your engine warms up not only takes longer than just driving lightly, it also uses more gas, puts out more emissions, and isn't any easier on your engine. Just don't push the engine hard while it's warming up with the blue light on. Also the blue light goes off when your engine coolant temp is about 138 degrees F just FYI.
I live in Alaska so the only reason I ever let a vehicle warm up at idle is when its really cold and I don't want to freeze inside or scrape the ice off the windshield. Usually though in the winter, I start my engine scrape away the ice and then jump in and go. By the time I'm out of my neighborhood the engine if fully warmed up and ready to go.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Rebooting????

Go kick your dealer in the knee. Just like those above me said, just take it easy and you'll be fine. Note that as it gets colder, it will take longer for the engine to get warm. Also, OD is locked out until the engine is warm, and it's a little hesitant to get in third when it's real cold.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by akxb
Just let the engine idle for 20 or 30 seconds and then drive conservatively until the blue light goes away. Idleing until your engine warms up not only takes longer than just driving lightly, it also uses more gas, puts out more emissions, and isn't any easier on your engine. Just don't push the engine hard while it's warming up with the blue light on. Also the blue light goes off when your engine coolant temp is about 138 degrees F just FYI.
I live in Alaska so the only reason I ever let a vehicle warm up at idle is when its really cold and I don't want to freeze inside or scrape the ice off the windshield. Usually though in the winter, I start my engine scrape away the ice and then jump in and go. By the time I'm out of my neighborhood the engine if fully warmed up and ready to go.
i agree whit everything said here..... i drive conservatively till the blue light goes off..... and try not to get the rps past 4,000 (if u got a manuel)
Old 10-19-2005, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default your dealer is an idiot!

What he "meant'' to say is this,,,,

When you first get in, the blue light is on.....As long as that is on, it will not go into overdrive. If you get right in and go with out waiting say about.....30-40 seconds , it will not go into 3rd gear either unless you hit 3,400 rpm's at which point it will shift into 3rd gear a little harder than normal but not a intrusive jolt'. It is a design feature for warming up the engine fast and getting it to the "top efficiency range" in the cold.

I admit, it is strange at first, but you will quickly learn from cold morning experiences how your car will act. I got used to it pretty quick and consider it part of the car's unique personality. I work with it and it works with me. Still love it.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually the coolant temp light does go from red to blue a few seconds after you start the car. (Try it) It is red when the key is first put to the "on" position and then changes to blue after the engine starts. Maybe that's what he was talking about? But it is no where near 3 minutes. When in doubt read the manual.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thank you all for your information and assurances. I love this site.
I'm slightly dyslexic so I reversed red and blue. Apologies. I'll wait 30-40 seconds, then go slowly until the blue goes off. No major pattern interrupt for me there. Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS

I've noticed our cars are slower than most to warm up. In the cold I wait about a minute if im in a rush, usually when I have to be in work early I just ask my dad to start it before he leaves for work and 5 minutes later im out there in a toasty warm box. like everyone else said just drive conservativly until the blue goes away and youll be fine. I really wish our cars had a true temp guage tho...Im sure theres a way to put one in a guage pod or somthing
Old 10-20-2005, 05:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this is a good tip...i always wondered about why it would not upshift when the blue light is on...and always the case in the mornings when the car is driven for the first time...

thanks, SL members!
Old 10-20-2005, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I didn't know about that feature either, I thought maybe the tranny was going out Ya learn something new every day
Old 10-20-2005, 10:12 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Corps
SL Member

my 86 toyota camry auto used to disable overdrive when the engine was cold.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

While driving your car when the blue light is still on will not hurt your car, neither will waiting for it to go off. I have always been taught not to put a load on an engine until it is properly warmed up, so I always wait to drive away until after the blue light goes off. You're very right in that the gas mileage does suffer, and possibly the emissions as well, so please just take this as me offering my opinion and sharing my routine with you all.

Related question: Has anyone else noticed that your manual transmission car shifts differently when it's not been warmed up? I get sort of a hesitation in throttle response and a bit of difficulty engaging gears sometimes.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe in the winter when ur cars real cold... b ut other wise yeah its notta big deal.i have 5 speed so im not sure. auto shouldnt be different tho. i guess its just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Okay, so for the last two days I have been taking off after a 40 second warm up, in warm So. Cal., not leaving second gear until the blue light is off. I don't know what I think. When idling at a light, the engine sometiimes rolls into a funky vibration like when the idle is off, and I wonder if it's the transmission.
I had asked my sales guy, who owns an '04 xB himself, "Do I HAVE to do this forever? Wait three minutes?"
He said, "Yes, to protect the transmission long term. Just like you have to wait for your computer to boot up, the computer on these transmissions needs to reboot."
So, dear Max2 , whom I respect, I won't be kicking him in the knees yet, funny as that sounds. I'm nervous he might be right. Of course, worry is my main defect.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by bluemoon
He said, "Yes, to protect the transmission long term. Just like you have to wait for your computer to boot up, the computer on these transmissions needs to reboot."
So, dear Max2 , whom I respect, I won't be kicking him in the knees yet, funny as that sounds. I'm nervous he might be right. Of course, worry is my main defect.
I still maintain that he needs a knee-kicking. The computer is up and running immediately. They are completely different types of hardware and software from a PC, and take no time to boot.

If the computer is booting up and that's all you are waiting for, why does it take longer when it's colder? Computers run better/faster at colder temps.

My dealer said I had heated mirrors and rear side window defrosters. The dealer is not always right.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the vibration you speak of at idle could be caused by improper adjustment of the hood stop bumpers or throttle cable slack..both can be addressed at the dealer.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by dmxsoulja3
the vibration you speak of at idle could be caused by improper adjustment of the hood stop bumpers or throttle cable slack..both can be addressed at the dealer.
Thanks! I'll check into this.

I have an email into Scion about the transmission warm-up recommendation. This has thrown me a curve. My two v6 Camrys were tuned to start and go. They lasted forever. Is there is something different about this littleToyota engine with a newly designed computer? My sales guy has an '04 xB and is an "enthusiastist." So I can't easily dismiss his authority, yet. I want more info about this confabulation.

Quick Reply: Three minute warm-up for my xB--darn