Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Took my box camping this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Took my box camping this weekend...

So, as I've done quite a few times this summer, I took the box out camping this past weekend. I can pack all of my stuff for camping in the rear (Tent, sleeping bags, air mattress, food, and other supplies), and I usually only have to put one seat down, to fit a cooler. Anyway, It rained pretty hard on Sunday night, and we actually had to abandon the tent and find shelter. We ended up sleeping in the box, with the front seats pushed all the was forward and both rear seats flat. It wasn't too bad, and it kept us dry the whole night.

Has anyone else slept in their car? And if so, what was the best way to do it?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Dynasty
SL Member

IF its just you, i imagine you could just fold down the back seat and have plenty of room... Now for me sence I have the RS3, i cant take out my headrests in the front, So i cant really do the whole "bed" thing that everyone talks about...
Old 07-05-2006, 04:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took my box camping this weekend as well. I was in the Adirondack area - mainly Lake Placid - home of the 1932 and 1980 winter olympics. super cool area. tons of scenery and trails. olympic museum was pretty cool as well.

Like you said - i had no problem fitting all my gear in the car and even got some decent mileage considering weight, mountains, lead foot.

I too slept in the box one nite due to high winds and rain. It was not comfortable as i didnt have an air mattress - I dont mind sleeping on the ground without an airmattress - but i dont recommend sleeping in the box without a mattress.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'm gonna have to try to sleep in the box when I can get it. LOL its possible to sleep in the tC too. I tried the lounge thing and it was a little to get out of the car but I did it in the garage.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:33 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

After a long night of drinking, me and my gf blew up my air mattress and "slept" in the back of my box. With the front seats pushed forward and then layed back, and the back seats folded down, it is comfortable with the twin sized air matress, well... more comfortable then her Grand Prix
Old 07-05-2006, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

haha..

i was taking medication for a sinus infection - so i wasnt drinking heavily..heavily enough i guess.

theres always next time.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm thinking about making the back a lounge on wheels area.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brucker3
... "slept" in the back of my box. With the front seats pushed forward and then layed back, and the back seats folded down, it is comfortable with the twin sized air matress...
I had not tried all that folding. I just folded everything, and it is so bumpy that I can't imagine sleeping on it unless I had some hard pieces of foam to bridge some depressions, and a firm air mattress like you had. My camping ThermaRest pads might not do. I am also 6-2 and 200 lbs and would be afraid of breaking something.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have taken several naps in me box,,, I just remove the front headrest, slide the seat all the way forward and lay it back level with the rear seat cushion.(rear seat NOT recllined or folded forward)..got 6 hrs nap in a I-5 rest area....element driver asked me when I woke up "how did you make the seat do that??....roflmao!
Old 07-07-2006, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bed works awesome slept in it a few times well napped Im 6'4 230 more comfy than the EK civic
Old 07-08-2006, 02:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took my box camping in North Dakota last week.

Stuff I got in the back:
2 tents
2 bikes (wheels removed)
the 4 bike wheels
sleeping bag
air pad
2 coolers
duffle bag
suitcase
messenger bag
camera bag

Coming back my white box was covered in red dirt. We looked like extras from Mad Max, when we hit bumper to bumper rush hour through Minneappolis. Quite a contrast to all the commuting suits.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just got back about a hour ago from a one-night camping trip with the family. Inside the box we had 2 adults, one 8 year-old, one beagle, one tent (freakishly large-the carry bag is a large wheeled duffle), three sleeping bags, a comforter, numberous pillows, coleman stove and lantern, ice chest, drybox with cooking utensils/drygoods etc, 2 tackle boxes, 2 fishing rods, 2 gym bags with changes of clothes, towels, etc., and a selection of books and dvds (belonging to the 8y.o.). What fun-- I think we may do something like this every weekend this summer!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I took my box to the coast a couple of weeks ago, for a week-long trip. Contents: 10x12 tent, ground cloth, 6 tiki torches, small grill, citronella bucket, ground stake with hook for citronella bucket, cooler, gumbo pot, bag of cooking/ eating utensils, tent stake bag (which includes stakes, hammer, clothes line, clothes pins, and some other stuff), two electric cords with outlet boxes, outdoor hook light, indoor clip light, fan, two folding chairs (director's style), a folding table, air mattress, sheets/ blankets/ 4 pillows, small vaccuum, broom, backpack with my clothes in, handbag with my toiletries in, small bag with hubby's toiletries in, duffle bag with hubby's clothes in, duffle bag with towels in, pop-up wastebasket, pop-up laundry basket, portable tv, portable dvd player, case of dvds, duffle bag with inflatable 3-person boat and oars in, boogie board, duffle bag with bike equipment (helmet, shorts, shoes, shirts, socks, gloves, water bottle, water bladder) in, various maps and brochures, 2 adults; and on top: bike with front wheel detatched. Pics coming soon. (Yeah, we pack light.)
Old 07-28-2006, 04:30 PM
5 Year Member

Default Re: Took my box camping this weekend...

Originally Posted by PatD
Has anyone else slept in their car? And if so, what was the best way to do it?
I just posted a longish response to a similar questions about camping on another thread, short version, you can get a folding plastic table from home depot/lowes that fits in the back pretty easy, and unfold one set of legs and rest the other end on the back too.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read that post, but I couldn't visualize what you were talking about. Did the table stick out the back of the car? Or did it just flatten out all the bumps?

Also wondering, if the front seats are folded forward with a mattress put on top of them... don't you guys worry about them ripping or getting stretched out of shape since the back of the seat is soft and hollow?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:05 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
TOCC

SL Member

just took my xB on the Alaskan highway, well, from southeast texas to alaska, ive slept many nights in it with the seat all the way back, and leaned back all the way, head rests on, im 6'2" i will say, ive gotten many hours of good rest in that car.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mamagoose
... Did the table stick out the back of the car? ... Also wondering, if the front seats are folded forward with a mattress put on top of them... don't you guys worry about them ripping or getting stretched out of shape since the back of the seat is soft and hollow?
I think one end of the table is supported by the car and you fold the legs down to support the other end.
The front seat does not fold forward. Slide the bottom forward, then remove the headrest and lay the seat back rearward.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
Originally Posted by mamagoose
... Did the table stick out the back of the car? ... Also wondering, if the front seats are folded forward with a mattress put on top of them... don't you guys worry about them ripping or getting stretched out of shape since the back of the seat is soft and hollow?
I think one end of the table is supported by the car and you fold the legs down to support the other end.
The front seat does not fold forward. Slide the bottom forward, then remove the headrest and lay the seat back rearward.
My bad, I was saying two things.

To sleep, I had the table all the way inside the car, with the bottom edge just inside the lip, and the sawhorse supporting the top - the sawhorse was just behind the front seats. This worked well, but due to the fact I had it angled I had a little trouble with my camping matress sliding down the slick table.

In addition, you can unfold one set of legs and leave the other end just in the car. This can give you a large table and access to equipment/electricity from the vehicle. In fact, some combination, with one set of legs out but the table mostly in the car, might be the best choice for sleeping, but I didnt try that.