Old 11-03-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: erase the hate

Originally Posted by svt_to_xb
Originally Posted by mikem53
trust me folks, there are alot worse cars for the money. I think I test drove alot of them. find me another car for around 14,500 with all these power options. Traction control, abs and stability control. You won't. I think instead of hate we should say dislike. Most cars can be improved apon. fix, all those problems you hate and the car would cost you double. Enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.
I agree... but I would gladly give up VSC for more power, or better sheet metal. You are correct... it should say dislike, not hate... Overall.. its a great econobox...
thanks for the acknowledgement. If you really think about it, whats the benifit to thicker sheetmetal?
Would not dent as easy, more rigidity (unibody), less tinny sound. better in crashes..
Old 11-03-2005, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
1 too slow. , doesnt respond well at all to mods... i knew it wasnt a speed demon but i figured it'd respond to mods liek a honduh does but NOPE

2 cheap horrible paint

3 ac is pretty damned weak

4 they're becoming the newest ricer mobile

5 gas mileage is hard to keep consistent whether it's high or low... my best mpg runs lately have been on a 180 mile roadtrip with an average speed of 90 believe that.....

6 honduh forkers laughing..

7 worst clutch ever.... toyota didnt realize with quicker gearing , more weight and a more enthusiast based demographic that theyre cheap echo carryover parts wouldnt hold up.... nothing like a 800+ dollar clutch job to see that it doesnt happen again... hell my clutch started slipping at 5000 MILES!!!!

8 theyre starting to get REALLY played out.... and without having more than 10k in one it will never win a show at all. let alone just street cred

9 umm....overpriced parts since it's new...

10 it's WRONG WHEEL DRIVE
Wow.. you're tough... I don't plan on modding for more power... its not a good platform to start with... and this engine is designed for economy, not performance. FWD sucks... but it makes cars affordable... and its good in the snow. I got an automatic since my other cars are manuals.... glad I did as I use the box for city drives and its nice to have... Thanks for your comments
If front wheel drive is so bad , why is it in your track car?
The mini is the best handling FWD car on the planet.. The steering ratio, size and weight make it a great track car. It does not exhibit the traditional plowing found in FWD cars... it has some, but its very controlled... If it had RWD, it would almost be perfect...
Try driving one sometime... its amazing when it comes to the twisties..
Old 11-03-2005, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: erase the hate

trust me folks, there are alot worse cars for the money. I think I test drove alot of them. find me another car for around 14,500 with all these power options. Traction control, abs and stability control. You won't. I think instead of hate we should say dislike. Most cars can be improved apon. fix, all those problems you hate and the car would cost you double. Enjoy it for what it is, not what it isn't.
I agree... but I would gladly give up VSC for more power, or better sheet metal. You are correct... it should say dislike, not hate... Overall.. its a great econobox...
thanks for the acknowledgement. If you really think about it, whats the benifit to thicker sheetmetal?
Would not dent as easy, more rigidity (unibody), less tinny sound. better in crashes..
1) a dent forms from impact, not because of thickness. thicker sheetmetal will still dent

2) rigidity, i don't know about you but my panels don't vibrate.

3) They only sound tinny if you hit them.

4) If there better in crashes why are the worse cars in crash test ratings with thicker sheetmetal?
Old 11-03-2005, 07:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

1 too slow. , doesnt respond well at all to mods... i knew it wasnt a speed demon but i figured it'd respond to mods liek a honduh does but NOPE

2 cheap horrible paint

5 gas mileage is hard to keep consistent whether it's high or low... my best mpg runs lately have been on a 180 mile roadtrip with an average speed of 90 believe that.....

7 worst clutch ever.... toyota didnt realize with quicker gearing , more weight and a more enthusiast based demographic that theyre cheap echo carryover parts wouldnt hold up.... nothing like a 800+ dollar clutch job to see that it doesnt happen again... hell my clutch started slipping at 5000 MILES!!!!

8 theyre starting to get REALLY played out.... and without having more than 10k in one it will never win a show at all. let alone just street cred

Wow.. you're tough... I don't plan on modding for more power... its not a good platform to start with... and this engine is designed for economy, not performance. FWD sucks... but it makes cars affordable... and its good in the snow. I got an automatic since my other cars are manuals.... glad I did as I use the box for city drives and its nice to have... Thanks for your comments
The mini is the best handling FWD car on the planet.. The steering ratio, size and weight make it a great track car. It does not exhibit the traditional plowing found in FWD cars... it has some, but its very controlled... If it had RWD, it would almost be perfect...
Thanks,but I use to have an SVT focus. Which was awesome. neither front or rear suck. They both have there advantedges.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Top ten things I DONT like about the xB

Originally Posted by mfbenson
1- Power... What are you hauling? Mine has plenty of power.

8- Drum brakes.. 60 to 0 stopping distances are phenomenal, what more do you want?

Plenty of power? compared to what? , moped...

Phenomenal brakes? You're kidding right?
Motorweek says 136 feet for 60 to 0, which they call a "solid performance". That's only 11 feet longer than the tC's 125 feet, and it does have all discs... If you really need those last 11 feet in an xB I would take some time to think about what you are doing, where you are doing it, and what you are doing it in.

As for power, you had it in the context of enough power to get up hills, and I've driven mine up a 40 degree grade with no problem. I imagine if you were hauling something near the weight capacity of the vehicle it might be a problem, but for driving up normal hills the power is "plenty".

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2303a.shtml
Old 11-03-2005, 08:14 PM
5 Year Member

I wish that I could but the more I investigate the more upset I get, I now find out that my dealership is charging me $350 more than the 2 other surrounding dealerships. Wow talk about icing on the cake. Those dealerships also put me in contact with some of their customers and when things like this happened to them, they were given the parts at employee price and a discount on labor! Wow and I get a bill thats $300 to much. I know, my problem must lie with the dealership when it comes down to it. But if I keep having to replace $1000 parts then my cheap little car becomes a huge money pit! Thanks for the sympathy, it is nice to just be able to vent!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1- Power... What are you hauling? Mine has plenty of power.

8- Drum brakes.. 60 to 0 stopping distances are phenomenal, what more do you want?

Plenty of power? compared to what? , moped...

Phenomenal brakes? You're kidding right?
Motorweek says 136 feet for 60 to 0, which they call a "solid performance". As for power, you had it in the context of enough power to get up hills, and I've driven mine up a 40 degree grade with no problem. I imagine if you were hauling something near the weight capacity of the vehicle it might be a problem, but for driving up normal hills the power is "plenty".

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2303a.shtml
What speed did motorweek use to test the brakes.... 30 mph? The brakes are far from being phenomenal.. and the accel results are nothing to write home about.... especially in real world use with more than just a driver... Sure I can make it up hills... but having to merge or speed up to change lanes can be a challenge at best.

From C&D

C/D TEST RESULTS

ACCELERATION (Seconds)

Zero to 30 mph: 3.5
40 mph: 5.4
50 mph: 7.8
60 mph: 10.6
70 mph: 15.0
80 mph: 20.9
90 mph: 29.0
Street start, 5-60 mph: 11.1
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 5.5
50-70 mph: 8.0
Standing 1/4-mile: 18.2 sec @ 75 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 103 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup: 200 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.75 g
Understeer: minimal moderate excessive
Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Newbie with major complaint here!!

Originally Posted by schweikhard1
They stated road debris flew through the grill and punctured my condenser, to the tune of $1000.00 for the part alone I would have to replace it!

Am I wrong in my anger?
Yes. Call your insurance company. You had a collision with road debris.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 cheap horrible paint

Thanks,but I use to have an SVT focus. Which was awesome. neither front or rear suck. They both have there advantedges.
I disagree.. when it comes to performance... RWD is the only way to go..
FWD is designed for economy and packaging... RWD costs more, adds compexity but the advantages for performance are undeniable...
While many FWD cars are performance oriented, they are confined to the llaws of physics... The front unloads the drive wheels during acceleration, they plow, torque steer limits the amount of power... and the list goes on...
Old 11-03-2005, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Newbie with major complaint here!!

They stated road debris flew through the grill and punctured my condenser, to the tune of $1000.00 for the part alone I would have to replace it!

Am I wrong in my anger?
Yes. Call your insurance company. You had a collision with road debris.
I agree.... it could happen in any car as the condensor is exposed to the elements...
Old 11-03-2005, 08:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

From C&D

C/D TEST RESULTS

ACCELERATION (Seconds)

Zero to 30 mph: 3.5
40 mph: 5.4
50 mph: 7.8
60 mph: 10.6
70 mph: 15.0
80 mph: 20.9
90 mph: 29.0
Street start, 5-60 mph: 11.1
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 5.5
50-70 mph: 8.0
Standing 1/4-mile: 18.2 sec @ 75 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 103 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup: 200 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.75 g
Ok, to put it in context here's C/D's numbers on the tC:

C/D TEST RESULTS

ACCELERATION, Seconds
Zero to 30 mph: 2.4
40 mph: 3.8
50 mph: 5.3
60 mph: 7.4
70 mph: 9.7
80 mph: 12.6
90 mph: 16.4
100 mph: 20.9
110 mph: 28.4
Street start, 5-60 mph: 8.0
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 8.5
50-70 mph: 9.0
Standing 1/4-mile: 15.7 sec @ 88 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 127 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup: 179 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.81 g

The xB is actually one second FASTER in 50 to 70 (which is really hard to believe, I'd think I'd know since I own one of each, but whatever) and its 70 to 0 is 21 feet longer. Still, that's only 10% worse than the tC, and while the tC is no Z06 either, it is at least sporty enough to say its a sport coupe with a straight face.

In fact, I can't believe that 9.0 figure for 50 to 70 in a tC. That's got to be a typo or something. I'll time it tonight on the highway on my way home. I'm convinced its got to be a lot shorter than that.

edit: ^^^ DUH! its "top gear" acceleration, no downshifting allowed. Well of course its a dog in top gear, that one's for economy not speed.

I should really learn how to read sometime.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 cheap horrible paint

FWD is designed for economy and packaging... RWD costs more, adds compexity but the advantages for performance are undeniable...
While many FWD cars are performance oriented, they are confined to the llaws of physics... The front unloads the drive wheels during acceleration, they plow, torque steer limits the amount of power... and the list goes on...
Then all performance cars would be rwd. In track racing front wheel my not outdo rear wheel, but it is more stable for an ametuer racer. and they only plow and have torque steer limits if there over pushed.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 cheap horrible paint

Then all performance cars would be rwd. In track racing front wheel my not outdo rear wheel, but it is more stable for an ametuer racer. and they only plow and have torque steer limits if there over pushed.
Show me a FWD Indy car, F1 car, NASCAR or any other purpose built race car.... there aren't any for the reasons I already mentioned.
They exist because car manufacturers make so many of them and people who own them want to have fun... but they are limited by physics and the ability to put the power down. Try and find a 50/50 balanced FWD car.... its not going to happen... try and put a beefed up tranny and diff in the confined space of FWD.... hit the gas and the front tires unload...
etc...etc...
FWD is not more stable when pushed to its limits.... the front tires dont do well when they have to steer, brake, power the car... they are overloaded
Old 11-03-2005, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

2 cheap horrible paint

Show me a FWD Indy car, F1 car, NASCAR or any other purpose built race car.... there aren't any for the reasons I already mentioned.
They exist because car manufacturers make so many of them and people who own them want to have fun... but they are limited by physics and the ability to put the power down. Try and find a 50/50 balanced FWD car.... its not going to happen... try and put a beefed up tranny and diff in the confined space of FWD.... hit the gas and the front tires unload...
etc...etc...
FWD is not more stable when pushed to its limits.... the front tires dont do well when they have to steer, brake, power the car... they are overloaded
but saying they suck is wrong as well, I'm not driving an indy car to work. And its funny that most autocross cars are front wheel drive. What I'm saying is neither suck. They both do well for there applications. If they didn't you mini would be rear wheel drive.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

"Then all performance cars would be rwd. In track racing front wheel my not outdo rear wheel, but it is more stable for an ametuer racer. and they only plow and have torque steer limits if there over pushed."

You've reached a false conclusion; not all performance cars are designed to perform optimally, as there're other factors at hand, i.e. cost, safety etc. If this weren't the case every sports car would be mid engined too.

The above poster is unable to view this argument from an objective position since he obviously has an emotional attachment to FWD i.e SVT Focus
Old 11-03-2005, 10:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tmanion
"Then all performance cars would be rwd. In track racing front wheel my not outdo rear wheel, but it is more stable for an ametuer racer. and they only plow and have torque steer limits if there over pushed."

You've reached a false conclusion; not all performance cars are designed to perform optimally, as there're other factors at hand, i.e. cost, safety etc. If this weren't the case every sports car would be mid engined too.

The above poster is unable to view this argument from an objective position since he obviously has an emotional attachment to FWD i.e SVT Focus
Not emotional. I'm trying to state, or make fact that both server ther purposes. To solely state the front wheel drive sucks is opinion and is false.

And the other vehicle I own is a miata. And I enjoyed driving both. Equally.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:50 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

Most of the issues mentioned hera can be adressed.... I fixed in mine for a small investment....still no power house....but it handles very well with upgrades...the ac..yes the fix did not do too much...noise hell I upgraded the sound system and added an exhaust...so who hears the engine? Like Mike stated I have other cars and I prefer this to them...I was all set to buy the RX330(wife liked it)...but I just really liked the box...still do 1yr and 27,000 miles later....to me the bottem line is for the price you can't beat it..and for a reasonab;e amount you can solve most of the issues or upgrade enough to where they are palitable........
Old 11-04-2005, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wish that I could but the more I investigate the more upset I get, I now find out that my dealership is charging me $350 more than the 2 other surrounding dealerships. Wow talk about icing on the cake. Those dealerships also put me in contact with some of their customers and when things like this happened to them, they were given the parts at employee price and a discount on labor! Wow and I get a bill thats $300 to much. I know, my problem must lie with the dealership when it comes down to it. But if I keep having to replace $1000 parts then my cheap little car becomes a huge money pit! Thanks for the sympathy, it is nice to just be able to vent!
(This should be in its own thread.)

You can have your car serviced under warranty at any Scion dealer. You don't have to go where you bought it.

RichC
Old 11-04-2005, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1- power adequate, barely (just dreamin) Transplant Celica engine with awd?
2-Thin sheet metal, everything else is too! unless it's plastic
3-Interior lighting, always could use some more lights, cargo lamp?
4-Noisey, not the sweet sound of a tuned Celica awd.
5-A/C no problems across the desert in July?
6-Bouncy ride? That is what "good" shocks are for, can you say Koni?
7-Dip stick, whatever?
8-Drum brakes, plenty till the Celica engine is installed.
9-Paint, I think with the large flat panels more care and wax will be involved.
10-Opinions are like a**holes, everyones got one!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

this is not my ideal car no but it's a brand new well appointed car that will be reliable and to me is very very good looking.. i just wish it had 30 more hp and rwd would be nice. i can honestly live with fwd i just don't like it....

Quick Reply: Top ten things I DONT like about the xB