Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

touch-up paint for xb solar yellow 2.0 ltd.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default touch-up paint for xb solar yellow 2.0 ltd.

solar yellow 2.0 scion xb ltd. release......... f.y.i........ if you need to touch up your front bumper or little marks on your precious cargo xb solar yellow . the scu # from your scion dealer is,,,,, P/N 00258-00576.. it comes in a nail polish type bottle with the little brush in the cap that unscrews, and it matches perfect and blends right in with the color. i hope you don't ever need to use it ,,,,,,but just in case,it can be had at the dealer.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow, good to know. I already have chips on the front bumper from large bugs. The orig paint seems really thin.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

suspect that the chips are from stones, rather than from buggies

*sigh* with the big, vertical frontal area of the xB, rocks flying at 30 or 60+ miles per hour, thrown off tires treads ahead of your car, are -really- hard missiles!

Sharp! Jagged! Hard! little scattershots. Some hit and chip the paint.

Other things being equal, if the paint were -thicker- the chipping would only be worse. This is how it is with any coating other than soft rubber/plastic paint. (In which case you could not have a hard clear coat to take a nice shine.)

The touch up paint is a good thing to have, sure. It's -not- the same paint system as the car has, though. That OEM paint is "base coat clear coat catalyzed polyurethane" type of paint system. Touch up paints are air-drying acrylic lacquer, color and gloss in one stage.

A nick touched up by the brush-in-cap paint will not be level with the OEM paint. However! Good news is: this lacquer dries fast and can be applied several times in very thin, paint-into-the-chip coats (a toothpick helps here).

Even better: our yellow cars are less apt to show off the touched-up spots than would be the case with a dark color or metallic or pearl. Next to white, our yellows are nearly the best colors for retouching. So, smile if you RS2' drivers get only a tiny stone chip.

humor: if the highway departments and God would just exchange out all of the sharp-edged aggregate in the USA for polished river pebbles, why, we'd be mighty obliged to them
Old 06-05-2005, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

...I bought a bra for interstate trips. First day I had it, it saved me from a frontal retread assault.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I disagree with the "thin paint" theory. I own the xB and two Euro cars. Saab in particular makes a big deal about how much primer, paint etc is protecting the metal. I haven't noticed that Saab's paint is any more chip resistant than the xB. Chips are a fact of life and I'll just use the touch-up to deal with them. I'll admit however that the area and upright angle of the windshield makes this part more vulnerable to chips than any car I've ever owned.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

i've noticed a few dings on the top of my xb probably from road pebbles flying up from the vehicles in front of you. and landing on my xb like little missles being dropped on my precious cargo ..........also i have noticed many many butterflys and insects on my solar -yellow xb......it must be the color that attrackes them to it?