Trade in value?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 04:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default Trade in value?

So I've got an 06.5 xB and plan to trade it in around the end of the summer for something new, I am trying to get some info on what I should expect the dealer to give me when I do trade it in.

Details:

Year 2006.5 PW
Mileage 46,000
Paint & body perfect with 3 small dings

I plan to part it out so it will be bone stock when I trade it with the exception of TRD exhaust.

It's just my time to walk away, the community isn't what it used to be, the car isn't what it used to be, it's been a fun 3 years but I need something with a little more power and something that I can cruise on the highway at 80 without being at such a high rpm.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Damn, dude. Sorry to hear that.
If it's bone stock, you'll probably still get a decent buck for it.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whoa, if the community is a deciding factor for your decision, I am shocked. Usually a person gets rid of a car for something of more important value. Also, does a high RPM really matter when you are still getting 30MPG at 80MPH. And what the heck do you mean by, "the car not being what it used to be"? I have no idea what you are trying to communicate there...Sorry for pointing all this out, but those reasons are quite superficial. I don't know, maybe it is just me. Anyway, it's sad to see someone quite involved leave, but I guess it is something that occurs with everyone. I would suggest Kelley Blue Book for values. And why get rid of the aftermarket stuff? I'd personally sell with those pre-installed. kbb.com
Old 05-04-2010, 05:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Couple things here. A few years ago the Scion community was lively and really tight. As Scion began marketing their new vehicles for people outside of the original demographic, that began to fall apart. So yea, I can totally see wanting to leave the Scion world. If I was going to buy a new car tomorrow, it wouldn't be a Scion unfortunately, they've made a lot of bad decisions, design wise that have alienated their target audience.

Second, you NEVER sell a car with aftermarket parts. Nobody will give you more for a car with aftermarket parts, ever. You'd be losing significant money NOT parting it out. Hell, in some states, if you sell a car with lowering springs or coilovers, that immediately adds the 'frame damage' tag to the carfax report.

Stock vehicles always get more on a trade-in.

So no, his reasons aren't superficial, they make sense. I've had my car about as long as he has and I've put just as many miles on it. Whenever I drive a different car, all I can think about is 'man, sometimes I wish I had a grownup car'.

Don't get me wrong, I love the box and all, but going from a low power econobox with stiff suspension and rattles to a car that floats over bumps and doesn't scream on the highway, the difference is hard to miss.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by burstaneurysm
Couple things here. A few years ago the Scion community was lively and really tight. As Scion began marketing their new vehicles for people outside of the original demographic, that began to fall apart. So yea, I can totally see wanting to leave the Scion world. If I was going to buy a new car tomorrow, it wouldn't be a Scion unfortunately, they've made a lot of bad decisions, design wise that have alienated their target audience.

Second, you NEVER sell a car with aftermarket parts. Nobody will give you more for a car with aftermarket parts, ever. You'd be losing significant money NOT parting it out. Hell, in some states, if you sell a car with lowering springs or coilovers, that immediately adds the 'frame damage' tag to the carfax report.

Stock vehicles always get more on a trade-in.

So no, his reasons aren't superficial, they make sense. I've had my car about as long as he has and I've put just as many miles on it. Whenever I drive a different car, all I can think about is 'man, sometimes I wish I had a grownup car'.

Don't get me wrong, I love the box and all, but going from a low power econobox with stiff suspension and rattles to a car that floats over bumps and doesn't scream on the highway, the difference is hard to miss.
wow, when you put it this way, those reasons are really meaningful... completely agree about the demographic issue that scion changed abruptly with the release of the gen2 xb. i hate seeing old people driving my car, bugs the crap outta me.

and the aftermarket parts definitely make sense now.

also, i completely agree about the "grown up car". i drove to LA last weekend in a 1998 Infinity sedan. I noticed how much giddy-up that thing has. I was pushing 100MPH without even accelerating at all. and i felt safe in it, probably because the suspension was tuned to handle high-speeds.

stan, or ian, or burstan, you really make alotta sense: kudos to you
Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't think 5 grand is worth selling the box for. Money can be made elsewhere. There is a lot of priceless time and effort put into the car.
I say keep it, and get a loan for something new. (Legacy maybe?) Haha.

You are right, the xB is low powered, it is an inexpensive car with stiff suspension,

but it is really damn cool to see driving and fun to drive itself.

I've driven a Mercedes. It's incredibly boring, 80mph feels like 55mph,

it is very smooth, enough to lull me to sleep while driving.

The new Sonata is pretty awesome too, but not incredibly quick.
I've thought about a 300ZX or something as a secondary "fast" car.

Of course I would love to have a Konigsegg to race the chumps with Mustangs around my town, but I can't afford that!

Good luck with the sale!

Last edited by Zman; 05-04-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default Trade in value?

5 grand? I figure I should be able to get around 8-9 as trade value. And the car I'm looking at is 17, it's a S2000, black with red interior. I will be giving up a LOT of space for it but it's something that is so completely different from the box that it will be fun and new and all that.

I have test driven a couple of STI's love them! A G35, not too thrilled about it, C5 Z06 Vette, want one so bad but still kind of expensive for me at 24k, love the Caliber SRT4's but it's so close to feeling like the box that I don't think I will enjoy it as much as something else.

I like the S2K because it's small, 6 speed, decent amount of power, plenty of aftermarket parts for it, convertable, and they retain their value very well so it's a nice investment.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

s2k is nice probably the next car ill get after i pay off my tc and toss it to my bro if he doesnt get a xb(he loves it ever since my wife got her xb1).

i have a tc and my wife has a xb, i cant tell you how much the xb comes in handy, pack more things into it, the excellent mpg, oh and did i mention the room and how convenient it is to pick things up groceries, wheels, moving out, its just great.
hopefully my wife keeps it and i can just be selfish and get sport coupes lol. meh to bad she has her eye on a benz next though.... =/

get what you want and hopefully your ok with the loss of space when its all said and done.

Last edited by lltysonll; 05-04-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can not tell some one that their preferences and opions are wrong but my 2 cents.....40mpg hyw man . So if you don't want a box don't keep a box but everyone seemed to just fold . Even though his opions are valid they are his and I like my box w/stiff ride and rattles or whatever . So I will just keep on boxn despite what other people think of MY box .
Good luck on your sale , don't sell it to a prune eater .
Old 05-04-2010, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by daneisthegreatest
5 grand? I figure I should be able to get around 8-9 as trade value. And the car I'm looking at is 17, it's a S2000, black with red interior. I will be giving up a LOT of space for it but it's something that is so completely different from the box that it will be fun and new and all that.

I have test driven a couple of STI's love them! A G35, not too thrilled about it, C5 Z06 Vette, want one so bad but still kind of expensive for me at 24k, love the Caliber SRT4's but it's so close to feeling like the box that I don't think I will enjoy it as much as something else.

I like the S2K because it's small, 6 speed, decent amount of power, plenty of aftermarket parts for it, convertable, and they retain their value very well so it's a nice investment.
Good luck with 9. They run about 5-6 g where I live but it may be the mileage on them. I just passed 95k but I wouldn't want to trade in anyway.

S2000's are amazing. Very good cars, a guy at work had one but now has a 04 Civic daily driver. He misses the S2000.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

[QUOTE=Zman;3559340]Good luck with 9. They run about 5-6 g where I live but it may be the mileage on them. I just passed 95k but I wouldn't want to trade in anyway.
^
^ ^
Right on man ! I got 104,000 and running gooood . I haven't gaged it yet but w/new intake and trac control off I got to be pushing 45 mpg hwy

Last edited by spiderbradman; 05-04-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dealer isn't going to give you crap. if you must sell it, sell it private party. that is the only way to go seriously. if you like not throwing away money that is.

pretty much the best rule of thumb is never trade in a car. you will never get what you could sell it for. the dealer is just making money off of you wanting something new. i hope you keep it and add the S2k to the garage but... you're call man. best of luck.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by snowromance
dealer isn't going to give you crap. if you must sell it, sell it private party. that is the only way to go seriously. if you like not throwing away money that is.

pretty much the best rule of thumb is never trade in a car. you will never get what you could sell it for. the dealer is just making money off of you wanting something new. i hope you keep it and add the S2k to the garage but... you're call man. best of luck.
Great advice.
Maybe you will have a kid someday (accidents happen)JUST KIDDING; they'll need a car. . I don't know if the xB will last 16 years!

Either way, the xB is a useful car to keep around.
It's not big money to sell it. If you were selling an Audi or something then you might get some serious cash.
I've just seen that a high percentage of the people on SL that trade in end up regretting it for some reason or another.

I plan on running mine until the wheels fall off, best way to get my money's worth.

Last edited by Zman; 05-05-2010 at 05:45 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Definitely agree with zman^^...I plan to do the same. once my transmission gives out officially, then I know itll be time to get a new car. I only spent 8 Grand on mine and it had 37K at the time. Great deal, but I plan to wear this car out as much as possible.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ajcadoo
Definitely agree with zman^^...I plan to do the same. once my transmission gives out officially, then I know itll be time to get a new car. I only spent 8 Grand on mine and it had 37K at the time. Great deal, but I plan to wear this car out as much as possible.
8?

I got mine at the peak of the housing bubble, they got away with selling it for about 12 or 13k, and I fell for it. It had 38k miles, but it was 2007 so it wasn't as old.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by snowromance

^^^ good point to be had here.... it's actually a fact that dealerships (of any manufacturer) have a higher potential profit margin from the trade in purchase and resell of a used vehicle then they could ever make on selling a brand new vehicle. That's one of the top 10 facts that dealers don't want buyers to be aware of.
Hope that helps you in your decision.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Location: 'Burbs Farmington Hills - go to school in Boulder, CO

well since no one's said it yet, what parts you selling!

I know what you mean about the shift in community. You just have to accept the idea that every community shifts. Although there's some different people in, don't let them get to you. But if you feel that's what you wanna do then it's what you gotta. My cousin had the s2k. Technically it's mid engine, watch out, that thing's a beast. also look into some of the hidden compartments in it, it's like the xb's trunk area, people might not know it's there.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I will be selling everything from suspension, wheels, interior, exterior, the only thing i will probably keep is my rack...I am making a list now with prices and such so when the time does come I will at least have that done.

lookey what the dealership let me take home today...I am getting a feel for the car, it is not the color i want but the dealership doesnt know that yet lol, I get to joyride this bad boy til monday and I must say I like it!

Name:  s2k1.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  s2k2.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  53.6 KB

Name:  s2k3.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  s2k4.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  s2k5.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  s2k6.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  79.3 KB

Name:  s2k7.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  s2k8.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  53.0 KB

Name:  s2k9-1.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  85.4 KB
Old 05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

is that intake on the list of part out as well?

and I have always liked those cars, can't really fit in them, but I like them, ha ha
Old 05-05-2010, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Default Trade in value?

Yup Will, Volant intake and DC sports header will be on the list. Hooray for keeping every stock part lol.

Quick Reply: Trade in value?