First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

TRD Exhaust, worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD Exhaust, worth it?

Okay, the plan is/was to get me a trd exhaust installed on my box this saturday..but i've heard some things about it bein noisey on the inside? This is my daily driver and i dont wanan be annoyed everytime I drive it...any videos on the site of this from the inside/outside by chance? Or can somebody at least re-assure me and tell me i'll love it and i'm not making a mistake getting this?

basically to sum it up, hows the box sound on the INSIDE while driving with the trd muffler installed...

thanks alot

jeff
Old 08-27-2004, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

*bump*
23 views and no replies?
come on guys, does the trd exhaust make an annoying sound INSIDE while you're driving? or what...
Old 08-27-2004, 04:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i don't know about the trd exhaust on the xB, but i've heard it on the tC and it is ok. for the money though, i would contact Stylis about a magnaflow.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default TRD exhaust

Jeff,

I work at Sparks Toyota in the Internet Department so take this for what it's worth. I know the guys at TRD personally and their input from customers has been just the opposite. It's not loud and it is basically a muffler and not designed for sound. They haven't had any bad feed back. I have some more info on my site if you want to check it out. If yo do drop in be sure to sign up for our 'gift certificate' drawings.

Ken Draper
Old 08-27-2004, 05:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had the TRD exhaust for about a year now, and i love the sound. contrary to popular beleif, it is NOT loud inside. you can't even tell if the car is on or not. when you get on it, it has a deep smmooth sound, not ricey at all. the only complaint that i have is that for some reason, it kept blowing out the gasket that connects the two peices at the axle. so after having the dealer fix it twice, i finally took it to my muffler guy, and had him hard weld the two peices together. now its perfect, and haven't had any problems since then. so, if you want the TRD, i would advise just buying it outright from the dealer, and have a reputable muffler shop weld it on for you.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionracerxb
I've had the TRD exhaust for about a year now, and i love the sound. contrary to popular beleif, it is NOT loud inside. you can't even tell if the car is on or not. when you get on it, it has a deep smmooth sound, not ricey at all. the only complaint that i have is that for some reason, it kept blowing out the gasket that connects the two peices at the axle. so after having the dealer fix it twice, i finally took it to my muffler guy, and had him hard weld the two peices together. now its perfect, and haven't had any problems since then. so, if you want the TRD, i would advise just buying it outright from the dealer, and have a reputable muffler shop weld it on for you.
awesome, thanks alot for the feedback on this (everybody that responded)..i'm less nervous now and more excited about this, once again thanks, whoohoo phase 2 on my box begins tomorrow!
Old 08-28-2004, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member

Default TRD - not for me..

Well, I wish I could say that I'm happy with my TRD. I got the cold air intake and the exhaust, and I'm happy with the extra pep from the cold air, but I really do not like the TRD noise. Its not a super-annoying exhaust like some can be.. but at highway speeds, it makes a low drone that will drive you crazy. I'm looking around for someone who has a silencer, if I can't find one, I'm going to try and get the stock muffler put back on.. just my two cents.

What I should have done... taken the one at the dealership for a test drive that had the TRD, and driven it on the highway at sustained speed.. had I done that, I would have saved myself some cash.

If you get it installed, let us know what you think!!
Old 08-31-2004, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you reset your factory ECU after you get the TRD exhaust put on the groan goes away!!! Try this and let me know it worked for me
Old 08-31-2004, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you are going to spend the money on a trd axle back i would go all out for a magnaflow cat back
Old 08-31-2004, 05:15 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by BOXMAN
If you reset your factory ECU after you get the TRD exhaust put on the groan goes away!!! Try this and let me know it worked for me
How do you go about doing this? Maybe is this one of those questions where if you have to ask, you should take it to a dealer Is it something that I can do?, will it affect anything else?

I'm just glad to hear there might be a chance I could get my quiet xb back! Thanks!!
Old 08-31-2004, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All you need to do is pull you ground cable off your battery for about five minutes. Then drive around town after you hook everything back up and you will be amazed
Old 09-01-2004, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got mine done, imma go disconnect the ground cable now and take er for a drive(after i plug it back in, of course ;-)
Old 09-01-2004, 03:06 AM
5 Year Member

All you need to do is pull you ground cable off your battery for about five minutes. Then drive around town after you hook everything back up and you will be amazed
Will this reset the ECU adjustments for the cold air intake, and will I have to re-program the keyless entry?

Forgive me for being a pain!
Old 09-01-2004, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You wont have to reprogram anything. This just allows your factory ECU to learn what has been added so it can adjust and run at its best.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You wont have to reprogram anything. This just allows your factory ECU to learn what has been added so it can adjust and run at its best.
that make a big difference?
i'm too lazy to go unscrew the ground connection on the battery, lol
Old 09-02-2004, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes it makes a huge difference
Old 09-06-2004, 06:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I did that, and it made the muffler a hell of alot LOUDER, even my girlfriend noticed that...not sure about performance though, maybe i need to drive it next time instead of letting it sit over night after i reset the ecu?
Old 09-07-2004, 03:39 AM
5 Year Member

I just installed my TRD in 20 minutes. It is worth it. I am also glad I went with the TRD because it is a subtle look. Let's face guys, you xb is not going to be whooping any ___. It is a slug with or without the supercharger. Don't get me wrong, if I want to drive fast that is what the Supra is for.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Reno
i don't know about the trd exhaust on the xB, but i've heard it on the tC and it is ok. for the money though, i would contact Stylis about a magnaflow.
Thanks reno! We now have a cat back system or an axle back for everyone with a tC! www.precisionmuffler.com
If you feel that magnaflow system is for you, maybe you should just replace the whole system with one that just bolts on! :D

Old 09-07-2004, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

This allows your factory ECU to learn what has been added so it can adjust and run at its best.
Would it make a difference if I reprogrammed it after I installed a cold-air intake?? Sorry for being off-topic.

Quick Reply: TRD Exhaust, worth it?