Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Upcoming xB owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 09:23 PM
5 Year Member

Default Upcoming xB owner

Hi all,
I am extremely new to this whole scene. I have been lurking the forums for a few days as of late to find out info on the xB and tC. I will be getting a new 06 xB (base) next week, and would just like to hear any helpful info, insight, and anything in particular that would be helpful info. I previously drove a 93 Volvo 850 GLT, and have been driving Volvo's all my life. I just test drove the box yesterday, and liked it alot. I never really fixed up a car, but I am planning on doing some work on the xB I do get.

Anywho, after looking through the forums for a little bit I have seen people have similar inqueries as me. However I will just throw this out there.

• TCM or BSP?
I have been debating this for a little while now. On the TCM any little scratches, or dirt wont be as visible. But with BSP I could smoke out my lights, and get some black on black happening. I have also been intrigued by the SM. I know you guys are all about your colors, so any input?

• Manual or Auto?
I don't have much experience driving manual. I tried to learn on a old mercedes a while back, but the wheel was so big that it rubbed against my leg, making it hard enough to steer. I know I want to be comfortable driving manual in the future, and I its the direction I want to go, however I live in so cal, and find my self in traffic more times than I would like to say. So I see it as being a potential pain in the rear, however on those drives where the road is clear, I think it would be ideal to have that extra control. Automatics are just comfortable to drive and relaxing. I am still torn...

Hope to hear from some of you, and to the rest of the community, HALLO!
Old 11-04-2006, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Upcoming xB owner

Originally Posted by gnow
... • Manual or Auto? I don't have much experience driving manual. ... I live in so cal, and find my self in traffic... So I see it as being a potential pain in the rear... where the road is clear, I think it would be ideal to have that extra control. Automatics are just comfortable to drive and relaxing....
Get auto if you have not driven manual and are not sure you will like it, or have to commute in stop and go traffic, or do much high speed Interstate driving.
Get manual if you know you like it and can do it, want more acceleration, don't have to live with frequent stop and go traffic tie ups, don't mind some more noise at high speed, and can drive some on hilly curvy rural roads.
Extra control may not be realized unless you are a skillful manual driver who can use the throttle, clutch and shifter well. Unfamiliarity with a manual might dimish your control, you might not enjoy the feel of the gearbox, and you might be hard on the clutch.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you`ll also like the VSC and the traction control in the winter in the automatic ...
Old 11-05-2006, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by manchvegasuruguaybox
you`ll also like the VSC and the traction control in the winter in the automatic ...
The manual also has VSC and traction control. And there is not much of a winter in Southern California. I would say you should get the auto if you commute a lot. The auto will give you less power on any pulls up mountain grades. As to color I would go with the TCM from the choices you posted. Good luck and welcome aboard.