Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Vibrations, Rattles and Buzzes, Oh my!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 05:39 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

Default Vibrations, Rattles and Buzzes, Oh my!!!

I love my XB except for two problems- that annoy me. I have the speedometer faceplate buzz. I already took it back to the dealer. They replaced the cover and the faceplate. The technician was less than competent. When I picked up my car I could see through the sides of the dash where the clock is housed. I would not take the car. He came out and pulled on the plate and it moved closer to the dash. He said it just did not set correctly. I could not understand why he even released the car. About a mile down the road the screw that goes into the top of the clock faceplate fell out onto the floor. I brought the car back and they said the screw was defective???? I then had to go back when they got the right screw. I had to go there 3 times and I thought it was all BS. I still have the buzzing . I am pretty sure it is the faceplate because I can touch it and it stops.

Now, I noticed when I am in drive and braking( at a stop sign or light) the front end grill starts to make a lot of noise, like it is hitting something. I do not hear at any other time. I looked all over the place and I can't find what it is banging into. I am assuming it may have something to to with the idle sstress when I am in drive and stopped.

Any ideas for both problems- because I fear the dealer!!!!
Old 12-04-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

i took the clear speedometer cover off myself and put electrical tape around the clips that hold it in place and since then i have never had the problem... i have noticed it in every xB that i have ever ridden in or worked on. it is going to rattle if it is factory until you mod it like i did
Old 12-04-2005, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

^ bang^

hes right thats pretty much the beast way to do it. i did the exact same thing.

as for the screw that holds the 'faceplate' in, it's really not neccesary, but nice to have i guess...
Old 12-04-2005, 10:14 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

How do you remove the speedometer cover? Also, any info on the front bumber overvibrating when in drive and braking?

DrG
Old 12-05-2005, 02:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

just pull on it from the open clock area from the bottom. it's real easy. and i lost the upper screw a long time ago. have never needed it and can't really tell it's no longer there. easier to take the cover on and off so i leave it be.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

open clock area from the bottom? i dont understand...
Old 12-05-2005, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

grab the clock/speedo cover from the clock/warning light area.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone have Seatbelt rattling? The rear-right passenger side seatbelt is rattling. I think this might be due to my accident. Any takers on how to solve this problem? I did in fact try my own solution by yanking the seatbelt only to realize it didn't even work at all. Sucks...
Old 01-03-2006, 12:16 AM
DrG
5 Year Member

Default Vibrations go a way with change of gasoline??????????????

I posted before that I have been having a annoying vibration of my front bumber when in drive and on the brake( at a light or stop sign). Before I went into the dealership I decided to try to change my gas. I bought some mainstream company 89 octane and I noticed the over vibration in the bumper is almost imperceptible Iwas stopped at a light. I could live with this little noise. Is it possible the timing is set too slow/? I thought 89 octane was not necessary? I have about 20K miles on my car- do the injectors need to be a little cleaner? Any answers would be helpful.

DrG
Old 01-03-2006, 12:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Default Re: Vibrations go a way with change of gasoline?????????????

Originally Posted by bBsactoguy
Anyone have Seatbelt rattling? The rear-right passenger side seatbelt is rattling. I think this might be due to my accident. Any takers on how to solve this problem? I did in fact try my own solution by yanking the seatbelt only to realize it didn't even work at all. Sucks...
I had that same problem but it wasn't the seatbelt, it was the actual seat. Lift up on the lever to pull it down and see if the little bracket has some of the coating missing. If it does, just put some electrical tape around it and it'll be fine.

Originally Posted by DrG
I posted before that I have been having a annoying vibration of my front bumber when in drive and on the brake( at a light or stop sign). Before I went into the dealership I decided to try to change my gas. I bought some mainstream company 89 octane and I noticed the over vibration in the bumper is almost imperceptible Iwas stopped at a light. I could live with this little noise. Is it possible the timing is set too slow/? I thought 89 octane was not necessary? I have about 20K miles on my car- do the injectors need to be a little cleaner? Any answers would be helpful.

DrG
Do you have a strut bar installed? if you do, it's probably the little tubing with the black rubber coating on it. Just tie wrap it back and see if that helps.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh yeah, I did do the slaming technique on my back seats. But now I will put electrict tape.. THANKS!!
Old 01-05-2006, 01:29 AM
DrG
5 Year Member

Do you have a strut bar installed? if you do, it's probably the little tubing with the black rubber coating on it. Just tie wrap it back and see if that helps.

I have the Hotchkiss struts. I do not see any little tubing with black rubber coating on it. Am I missing something?

Howie
Old 01-05-2006, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by DrG

I have the Hotchkiss struts. I do not see any little tubing with black rubber coating on it. Am I missing something?

Howie
What he's referring to is your fuel line...It's a black hose thats curled up and is positioned near the left hand side of the engine bay between your firewall and your strut bar...

The problem some people have found is that the vibration and kind of knocking sound at time is coming from our xB's having a low idle and the fuel hose vibrating against your strut bar...This vibration can seem to come from all points of your engine bay and also inside your dashboard (depending on how you hear it )...So many people including myself have began zip tying the fuel line away from the strut bar and fixed the engine bay rattling problem...

As for the speedo buzzing, I'm still working on that one as well...However, I have found a quick fix for the buzzing and rattling in the door panels from the bass in the speakers hitting too hard...When you get a rattling door, simply lower your window about halfway down and then bring it back up...For some reason or another it fixes it everytime for me and thus ends another annoying noise in the cabin while driving

Hope this helps you out :D

DAN
Old 01-05-2006, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 7red7
...The problem some people have found is that the vibration and kind of knocking sound at time is coming from our xB's having a low idle and the fuel hose vibrating against your strut bar...This vibration can seem to come from all points of your engine bay and also inside your dashboard (depending on how you hear it )...So many people including myself have began zip tying the fuel line away from the strut bar and fixed the engine bay rattling problem...
I had the same issue regarding rattling in the engine bay at while stopped and in DRIVE. Went to the dealer and they adjusted the black hood bumps in the car. Just twist a bit left or right and see if that works.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Vibrations go a way with change of gasoline?????????????

Originally Posted by xbbox
Originally Posted by bBsactoguy
I had that same problem but it wasn't the seatbelt, it was the actual seat. Lift up on the lever to pull it down and see if the little bracket has some of the coating missing. If it does, just put some electrical tape around it and it'll be fine.
I had this rattle too. Electrical tape worked to stop the rattle, but it also made my seat latch stick, making it hard to un-latch the seat when you need to fold it down. Now I just leave my seat folded down as often as I can.

As for the faceplate buzz, I just shoved a little piece of clear rubber between the pod and the faceplate. You can't see it, and it stopped the buzzing for good.

-THE DON
Old 01-06-2006, 07:57 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

OK, I found the gas line behind the strut bar. My gas line is curled and it appears to not be touching the Strut bar. In regard to the rattle. I noticed that when I lean on the front bumper- pushing it down- the noise stopped. I think it is the lower front bumber hitting someting when the car is braked but in drive. I am assuming it is evident when the car is idling roughly.

I am on my second tank of 89 octane and the noise still is not there.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ahhhh, nice to know the TC isn't the only Scion that rattles like a ****
Old 01-07-2006, 03:40 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

To everyone, I got this tip from RadRussXB...and it worked fine if you have the rattling sound coming from the front of the car. Last week I noticed this rattling sound coming from the front of the car ... I thought it was from the bumper. Anyway, you mentioned the throttle cable and I just opened the hood and the throttle cable was touching the bar that holds the hod open, I could even see a mark on the cable from rubbing against the bar. I have an '06 with 800 miles on it and the rattling at low speeds (approx. 1,000 miles was bothering me). I moved the cable, there is a thicker cable which is hold in place by a metallic hook, just move it out, place the throttle cable first and the thicker cable back, the hook will hold both in place. I just took my car for a quick ride and NO noise. I'll do more testing tomorrow. Open the hood and you'll see what I'm talking about. I'll post more tomorrow after driving the car more miles. Good luck.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:51 PM
DrG
5 Year Member

I spoke to soon. Higher octane gas did not stop my bumping noise. I think I found the source this time( ha ha). Anyway, I found a round device that is in front of the radiator and behind the bumper. It has an electric lead entering the bottom of it. I do not know what it is, but I noticed that is was shaking all over the place when I was in drive with the emergency brake on. I had to reach it from underneath the car. Of course, I shut the car off before I went undeneath ! This thing is attached to the car by a thin metal strap. I was able to bend it back a little and the noise stopped- so far. I have been fooled before. Does anyone know what this thing is?

DrG
Old 01-10-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Is that the horn that you are talking about?

Quick Reply: Vibrations, Rattles and Buzzes, Oh my!!!