Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

what shipping company do you prefer DHL, UPS, FEDEX (fastest

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i just got a package from UPS and one from FedEx.

UPS waited about 3 minutes and rung the door bell twice. But the box also looks a little beat (coming from so cal also).

FedEx rang the door bell once and almost left, but the box is in immaculate condition from AZ (i think)

Didnt get anything from DHL, but there tracking is OK. but the last time i used them they left my exhaust outside the garage out in the open for everyone to see and only rang the door bell once and ran off.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Lehigh Valley Scions

Do no I repeat DO NOT use DHL. I worked at the DHL hub in Allentown (which sorts all of the packages on the north-eastern states) and I gotta tell ya, it's scary how we treat things there. 90% of the employees there don't know how to read any bit of English and ignores the FRAGILE labels on packages. My one supervisor even told me "We're paid to move boxes, not to read."

So... yeah... I'd say go with UPS. By the way, I don't work there anymore because there's no union and they treat their employees like dirt.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also work for UPS and perfer them because you can track your package, I have had a pkg damaged by UPS though and they did not cover it. But that was only one item a long time ago I got over it. FedEx is kinda fast and its nice to get somethin on Sat mourning. USPS is great for small stuff, but UPS is the best if its larger than a shoebox.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh and there is no reason to support the German gov (DHL) go Union USA UPS !
Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I prefer UPS, they actually ring my doorbell and if I'm not home leave a note on my door. I've had a few packages arrive a little beat up but nothing has ever been broken.

FedEx doesn't even ring my doorbell, they just leave it on my doorstep. Sometimes I do hear it when the package bounces off the door though if I'm at home. Oh yeah they once delivered one of my packages to the wrong address and the signature verification was some other guys name....yeah they really verify they are giving it to the right person huh?

I've never had a problem with USPS so far, their tracking system is pretty pathetic though.

DHL....well at one of my previous jobs we dealt with DHL a lot to have packages sent to us internationally from the states to us in Japan. We always had good luck with them and tracking was great. I did have a bumper sent to me via DHL here stateside, it arrived with a huge hole in the side of the box. Lucky for me the company shipping it to me packaged the hell out of it so it escaped damage. Oh I just remembered a $250 grille for my Camaro I had sent to me with DHL, they couldn't find my house even though the correct address was on the shipping label, they returned it to sender(in eastern Canada) I'll never use them again if I can help it.

Pretty much all of the shipping companies have problems, all you can do is hope for the best.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by digitalH8
Do no I repeat DO NOT use DHL. I worked at the DHL hub in Allentown (which sorts all of the packages on the north-eastern states) and I gotta tell ya, it's scary how we treat things there. 90% of the employees there don't know how to read any bit of English and ignores the FRAGILE labels on packages. My one supervisor even told me "We're paid to move boxes, not to read."

So... yeah... I'd say go with UPS. By the way, I don't work there anymore because there's no union and they treat their employees like dirt.
Do you honestly think it's any different at UPS or Fedex? I worked at UPS and I can tell you that it's the same exact way, I can't say anything about FedEx tho.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The only thing that is read on a box is were its going to, do people actually think we have time to sit there and read the side to see if it fragile, LOL. Every box gets the same treatment and damage comes from slides belts and chutes not people. If you pack it well and use the right materials 99% your stuff will be fine. I personally touch 3-6k boxes in a eight hour shift (sorter/pickoff) and maybe see 1-2 damages a nite. UPS in general is a good shipper but some people do not care about there job, but thats anywere.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I hate FedEx!! They've dicked me around so much in the past (and they didn't even buy me dinner first!)
Old 02-15-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i work for fed ex home delivery.

yes, we do leave stuff at your door step. yes, some of us dont bother to ring or knock. yes, some of us do leave your big bulky expensive stuff in out in the open areas.

do all of us do that? not in the slightest. but you have to keep in mind, we get paid by the box delivered, not by bringing it back.

we are not hourly, we are performance paid. if i got paid per hour like my friend who works at UPS, ill sit on your door step ringing and knocking like a maniac.

i dont, so i cant.

and misdeliveries.. well, they happen. much like when you go to burger king and ask for no onion on your whopper, and you get onions. human error.

but i would ship with the fed over UPS and ESPECIALLY over the ronald mcdonald club. (plus theyre about to go under, here in the states.) just package your stuff like its going to war! :D

edit: and on leaving stuff at your door step, ive been yelled at more times than a mathmetician can count on 'why didnt you leave my box?! its important i needed it yesterday!'. so, i leave stuff.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hwybox
The only thing that is read on a box is were its going to, do people actually think we have time to sit there and read the side to see if it fragile, LOL. Every box gets the same treatment and damage comes from slides belts and chutes not people. If you pack it well and use the right materials 99% your stuff will be fine. I personally touch 3-6k boxes in a eight hour shift (sorter/pickoff) and maybe see 1-2 damages a nite. UPS in general is a good shipper but some people do not care about there job, but thats anywere.
and i have to qft.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
TOCC
SL Member

hate fedex, they through my body kit over the gate and drove off, backed into the driveway through my package over the gate and left, called their statewide HQ and they went "not our problem" had the truck number and everything!

DHL comes to our door knocks 3 times, and leaves our packages, we recieve litterally 4 boxes(large boxes) per day from dhl, UPS isn't that bad, they know us so well(the driver) that he will literally stop me on the way home and give me the stuff
Old 02-16-2008, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

I found my FedEx story from the F$*# FedEx thread...

Originally Posted by burstaneurym
I had a similar issue with FedEx. When my intake shipped, there wasn't supposed to be a signature required.

The day it was supposed to arrive, it said 'unknown address' on the tracking. So basically, the driver couldn't find my house. I called Fedex and asked to pick it up at the distro. They said sure, it'll be available after 7. I went after work, called, they said it would be right out.

I waited 3 hours for it. They kept saying that it might have switched trucks and they were looking for it. They couldn't find it. They offered to deliver it the next day, I told them that they couldn't find the house the first time, why should the second be any different. They offered to send it to my work address. I said great. The next day, I watched the tracking info, then it said, attempt made, no body home. They tried sending it to my house and it apparently required a signature.

I called again and asked to pick it up. The rep apologized and said that they aren't allowed to change ship to addresses. I asked to pick it up again (this being Friday, they weren't going to try again until Monday)

She put me on hold. 30 minutes later, she said she had the package in hand and when I came in, she would bring it out for me. Great.

I get back to the distro, again. I call and ask for the rep I spoke with. I was informed that she had gone home. I told them the situation that the package was waiting for me. They said they'd check. Two hours later, they told me that, once again, they couldn't find it. It went in the sorter and would be on a truck for Monday delivery.

I asked for a supervisor and told them this was unacceptable. I wasted 5 hours because they couldn't do their job properly. They told me that they don't offer Saturday pickup. I said this is a 24 hour operation, so someone must be there in the morning. They said yes, and I told them that I would be there to get my package.

They gave me the name of the morning manager. He was due to arrive at midnight and stay until 7. I was told to call at 5AM to tell him I would be in so he could pull it off the truck.

I woke up early Saturday and called. No answer. At this point, I was really irritated and tired. So I said eff it, and went back to the distro.

I walked in and the guard said "we don't have saturday pickup"
I told him "you do today". I called and someone said they'd look for it. 15 minutes later, I had my package in hand.
Yea, that was a PITA... now I just have everything shipped to my work address... someone will always sign for a package.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

UPS!