Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Whats the real deal with price negociations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 10:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Whats the real deal with price negociations?

From what I understand The price of all scions is fixed... I assume this is true?
I have heard (maybe I am a wrong) that you guys out on the west coast have seen dealers throw accessories in on a purchase?
What exactly are the pricing rules toyota has setup for scion?

For the record I think true pricing is lame. I say let the morons of the world pay MSRP, while I usually get invoice. I can get most toyota at or very near invoice down here in Texas... and knowing I am not getting the same with xB isn't inspiring. Oh and as of last week Toyota jacked up the intrest rates on xB a tad bit more. They went from 4.29 to 4.79 on a 60mo finace with tier 1. With this economy I'd expect at least a decent rebate or intrest offer.... getting neither make me wonna wait and see how hard they wonna push the scion down here in TX. Yes, I know its already a good deal base... but if you want to add ANY accessories the price rockets... and some accessories almost seem like no brainers... alarm ($500), and floor mats ($120).

Sorry, just had to vent a bit (I'm a poor recent college grad).... thanks for any help with questions.

Oh and also, having the Superbowl in Houston was badazz. I have never seen Houstoon so crazy... at least 250K on main street saturday night and celebs in town were really humble... ran into Tom Arnold on the sidewalk, he was really cool about stopping to take a picture. Didn't mean to rub it in, but it was sweet. Congrads Pats fans!
Old 02-02-2004, 12:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I don't know about Texas, but are rates went down in our region. As far as free accessories,I doubt it. And as far as rebates go, why would they put a rebate on something thats brand new? When a manufacturer is'nt selling enough cars, thats when they'll throw a rebate/special apr on a model Look @ all the people on this site. Does it look like Scion is having any difficulties selling cars?
Old 02-02-2004, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default not a problem

there is or was a promo offer that if you finance from Scion they give you a gift certificate towards accessories, I don't know if thats still running you should check the Scion website.
They are fixed price, I had no problem getting exactly how I wanted it, but floormats and stuff like that always are a lil more then just plain ones you'd get at pep boys or whatever, but the Scion ones are good, since they fit perfect and have little hooks to fit them to the floor so they wont slide...
Old 02-02-2004, 12:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The $50 gift card isstill in effect. You also get 3 free oil changes
Old 02-02-2004, 01:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default None

When I ordered my RS 1 the dealer couldn't do any "Deal". The price is fixed across the nation. Only the 3 free oil changes. I paid CASH for the car as well... the only thing they offered is if my father/mother want to get a car they can hook them up.
Old 02-02-2004, 03:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Whats the real deal with price negociations?

Originally Posted by Radiodude
From what I understand The price of all scions is fixed... I assume this is true?
I have heard (maybe I am a wrong) that you guys out on the west coast have seen dealers throw accessories in on a purchase?

For the record I think true pricing is lame. I say let the morons of the world pay MSRP, while I usually get invoice...
Well, of course, invoice isn't what the car cost the dealer either, which is why they can sell cars "below invoice" and still stay in business.

Fixed pricing is a 2-edge sword.

On the one hand, it has kept most dealers from jacking up the price on the new model when it is in short supply. When the Element came out our local dealer was padding the sticker by several thousand dollars. This didn't happen with the Scions, though some dealers forced buyers to accept accessories that they didn't want.

On the other hand, the fixed price will allow the dealer a larger profit margin if the manufacturer can keep the dealers in line. This has worked for Saturn, who has continued to sell mediocre cars for high prices because many customers don't like to haggle. Toyota would love to have a piece of this action!

The dealer profit on an xB is in the $1000 range, which seems adequate to me. The differential between "invoice" and "sticker" isn't as great on a Scion as it is on other Toyotas. They have to jack up those sticker prices to give customers the impression of getting a great deal!
Old 02-02-2004, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by KrAuSeScIoN
how do i get the $50 gift card? whats the magic word? my salesman did not mention it to me. i got my xB for 2 weeks already.
thanks,
sid
Old 02-02-2004, 04:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It will just come in the mail. Some peeps said it takes a couple months, but some have got one in 2-3 weeks.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It will just come in the mail. Some peeps said it takes a couple months, but some have got one in 2-3 weeks.
Cool - my salesman never mentioned this to me!!!! I better get it
Old 02-02-2004, 04:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rbloedow

Cool - my salesman never mentioned this to me!!!! I better get it
same here....I better get mine
Old 02-02-2004, 05:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

It took me like 2 months to get my gift card....you only get them if you finance through toyota
Old 02-02-2004, 05:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Whats the real deal with price negociations?

Originally Posted by Radiodude

For the record I think true pricing is lame. I say let the morons of the world pay MSRP, while I usually get invoice. I can get most toyota at or very near invoice down here in Texas... and knowing I am not getting the same with xB isn't inspiring. Oh and as of last week Toyota jacked up the intrest rates on xB a tad bit more. They went from 4.29 to 4.79 on a 60mo finace with tier 1. With this economy I'd expect at least a decent rebate or intrest offer.... getting neither make me wonna wait and see how hard they wonna push the scion down here in TX. Yes, I know its already a good deal base... but if you want to add ANY accessories the price rockets... and some accessories almost seem like no brainers... alarm ($500), and floor mats ($120).

Sorry, just had to vent a bit (I'm a poor recent college grad).... thanks for any help with questions.

Oh and also, having the Superbowl in Houston was badazz. I have never seen Houstoon so crazy... at least 250K on main street saturday night and celebs in town were really humble... ran into Tom Arnold on the sidewalk, he was really cool about stopping to take a picture. Didn't mean to rub it in, but it was sweet. Congrads Pats fans!
Come on, just think about it for a little while, if it wasn't for pure pricing we'd be payin $3000 more than we are (for all the options). Besides haggling would be a big pain in the butt.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Sid_xBicious
how do i get the $50 gift card? whats the magic word? my salesman did not mention it to me. i got my xB for 2 weeks already.
thanks,
sid
you get the $50 gift card if you financed thru Toyota finance, not any other finance company....
Old 02-02-2004, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Most people don't undertand that even if a dealer sells a car for exactly for what he initially pays for it the dealer still makes a profit if the vehicle is relatively new to the lot. Holdback is a percentage of the MSRP to help dealer cover the cost of advertising and actually paying for the space on the lot to sell the car for up to 3 months. Sure some cars will sit on a lot for 6 months or more... yeah they might take a bath on those but i'd say most new invetory at a metro area dealer might sit for a month or so. No to mention volume sales kickbacks to dealer who sell the crap outta their stock.
The dealer near me says they are the number one toyota pickup dealer in the nation (based on sales).... Texans buy a ____load of trucks, Houston is Texas' bigest city... it makes sense... and I am sure that toyota appreciates their hard work. Just something else I wanted to throw out.

Oh and as far as the intrest rate... yeah I agree Its BS... they are aleast half a point off alot of banks right now. I guess thats how they can afford to offer the gift card. For the record to my knowledge toyota had sold only about 11,000 xB's. I know we all here are hardcore fans (including myself) but so say the car in huge demand might be an understatement.

Thanks for alll the input and opinions, I just found this website and have to say its the best by far... especially because of all you guys that care so much about this car!
Old 02-02-2004, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let me just say that if these were not a fixed price we would be paying a pretty penny over MSRP since these are flying off the lots like the PT did when they first came out. Right now the fixed price is really helping the consumer in that aspect. With that there is no way you would be able to get one under MSRP when they are selling like that.
Old 02-03-2004, 03:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The invoice price of the xB is not that much lower than the msrp, according to Consumer Guide : http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n...x.cfm/id/37969

It sucks paying msrp, but Mini has been getting away with it for the past 2 years.