Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

What's in your tank?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 01:28 AM
5 Year Member

Default What's in your tank?

Since I just bought my XB a little over a week ago, I'm making sure I really baby it. I usually use gas from Hess, because I notice I get different performance and mileage in my 2003 Ranger depending on where I fill it up at. I notice I don't get as good fuel economy when I use gas from Racetrack/Raceway. I refuse to buy Citgo gas because it's from Venezuela and I dislike Hugo Chavez, why put money in his pockets?

I found this article on the net, I forget where, forgive me but I thought it was pretty interesting. Thought I'd share it with everyone here.

In the November 2005 issue of BMW CCA’s Roundel magazine, there was a fantastic article written about gasoline and what you’re really pumping into your car each time you fill it up.

So what do you really put into your car each time you fill it up?

From a chemical standpoint, gasoline is simply a mixture of hyrdocarbons, with the most widely known of these being octane, ya know, that 87 or 93 number you see on the yellow sticker at the gas pump.

Does it really matter which octane rating (or number) you really select? Most certainly. The octane rating is “nothing more than an index of a motor fuel’s ability to resist knocking or pinging, so called for the sounds that the engine may make. Knock is also known as pre-ignition,” explains Doug McGregor, an emissions compliance engineer for BMW NA. “It’s what happens when the combustion process occurs too early, when there is not a gentle rise in the combustion process… Engine knock at it’s worse can seriously damage an engine.” Not good at all! This happens when the fuel/air mixture ignites before the spark plug fires, often as a result using a low octane rated gasoline, which is ignited by heat and compression. Hence the reason you see race cars using gasoline with an octane rating of 110 or higher; their engines are operating at such high RPMs and generating so much heat, they need a higher octane rated fuel to prevent knocking. [1]

So is 93 octane really just 93 octane? Not at all, “there are no fewer than seventeen different formulations for fuel mandated by the EPA for clean air and health standards for the lower 48 states.” One of the main differences is the Reid Vapor Pressure, or RVP, which varies from lower levels in the summer, to higher levels in the winter. The RVP value measures the volatility of gasoline; hence, a higher number in the winter for helping to deal with cold starts. [1]

Ok so is 93 octane at Shell better than say, 93 octane at Joe’s Shady FastGas? Actually, no. All gas in your neighborhood comes from the same common distributor, often only one distributor per metropolitan area (NYC actually has two). The distributor doesn’t care where it gets its gas and doesn’t draw any distinction of how it gets it.

But how does Shell claim their V-Power cleans your engine if all gas comes from the same place? “Simple: gasoline is blended with additives required by each retailer when their trucks are loaded at the terminal.” [1]

These additives are usually just detergents to prevent deposit buildups in the engine, helping it to run clean and efficient. The levels of detergents are mandated by the EPA, but many automakers feel these requirements are too low. So these automakers, including General Motors, Toyota, Honda, and BMW AG, along with a handful of fuel retailers created the Top Tier Gasoline program.

“This voluntary Top Tier program requires that its members sell gasoline—in all grades, not just the highest octane—that provides a much higher level of deposit control than the EPA-mandated levels.” So this means Joe’s Shady FastGas in Memphis has to meet the same standards as Shell in San Diego. “This quality is important. Fuels that do not control deposits effectively will eventually lead to such conditions as clogged fuel injectors, along with dirty valves and other intake parts, a recipe for poor fuel delivery. Poor fuel delivery can result in misfires, which are essentially combustion cycles that don’t combust properly—if at all. This means a loss of power and a decrease in fuel efficency, as well as greater exhaust-gas emissions as the unburned fuel mixture passes directly through the engine.” [1]

So who are the Top Tier retailers? The most known are Chevron, Shell, QuikTrip, Conoco, Phillips and 76. Not a big list, huh? Stringent requirements for being part of the Top Tier program keep participating companies to a minimum.

That’s great, but I don’t usually buy gas at those places, what can I do? Well at a minimum, I would use a can of BG 44k at least every 6 months to clean your engine. One expert BMW technician in Alexandria told me that he puts in a can of LubroMoly Jectron Fuel Injection Cleaner every other time he fills up! I would say this would only be needed if you were really going with cheap gas with very low amounts of additives. If you’re continually buying Top Tier gas, then a can of BG 44k or LubroMoly every few months would be sufficient.

Happy motoring!
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

great info... thanks for sharing!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Good info, congrats on the new box, I traded in my 03 ranger on one too!!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:16 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks! I still have my Ranger, I use it to go to work, I work at the Ports in Tampa. I use my Ranger to go into the ports, lots of train tracks to cross and lots of chemicals in the ports that can damage paint.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ironically i traded in an 03 Ranger to get my box.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member

hehehehe seems like everyone is defecting in droves? I have a Edge Package on my Ranger, so I notice the difference in the high from going into the Ranger into the XB. I still prefer the XB any day over the Ranger.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

I got my Box and kept my 93' Ranger Splash (33K miles)
Old 01-22-2007, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member

My 2003 Ranger Edge has 67k on it. I'm always driving for work, so use the truck for work and my XB for riding.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Yeah, the ranger is for the rain and the box is for nice days.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I had an 03 XLT on 20 inch wheels...I traded my $200 a month gas bill for an $80 a month one....
Old 01-22-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I still have my 97 Ranger stepside 5-speed 4cyl.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:28 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=125171

http://www.toptiergas.com/index.html

Tom
Old 01-22-2007, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

a lot of us scion/ranger owners on here huh. my 4.0 v6 gets 18/19 mpgs with 31 inch tires.

I know this winter 87 fuel is pure garbage. I tried running it in my wifes Jeep and all it did was spark knock like crazy. Switched it to mid grade 89 and the spark knock quit and mpgs rose by a couple.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The original post in this thread sure sounds very informative but I can't help myself detecting a plug for "BG 44k or LubroMoly". Hmm....

My xB runs on the cheapest 87 octane gas I can find around my area. Special additives and detergents? Yeah, whatever...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

back to the topic...i run 87 octane too in my box, that's what the dealer told me to do...i always go to chevron, so at least im using a "top tier" station....
Old 01-22-2007, 07:31 PM
5 Year Member

You busted me Petesky. I make the BG44k and Lubromoly in my back yard in a large pot next to my pots of "classic" coke.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MurphysLaw
back to the topic...i run 87 octane too in my box, that's what the dealer told me to do...i always go to chevron, so at least im using a "top tier" station....
...back on topic? Why? Wasn't my post on-topic?
Didn't I state that I use 87 octane fuel in my box?

And I'm glad that my invsrtigative mind easily exposed the shady ploy of DarkMercury!

As I'm writing this he is making another batch of Vornados and Molecule Aligning Magents for the fuel lines!

But seriously, that excerpt you've found does sound like a plug for those "wonderful" products.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All of the toyota dealers on Oahu use BG products along with the Honda dealership in Kaneohe during regular oil changes, etc.

These of course cannot be bought retail.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i traded in my 05 ranger fx4 for my box because of gas issues. i drive about 300 miles a week and the ranger was makin me ____ed...anyway i love my box wouldn't trade it for anything...besides maybe a maybach
Old 01-26-2007, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

How weird... a scion and a ranger. I had an xb and my wife had a ranger... whats up with the scion/ranger combo?

Quick Reply: What's in your tank?