First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

When I thought about getting rid of my 1st gen XB

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default When I thought about getting rid of my 1st gen XB

In case anyone else had this crazy thought (or maybe it makes sense for others) this is what I went through but ultimately decided that there is nothing that would replace my xB. I looked for more power, more features, quieter, bigger, 4 wheel drive-but nothing ever just fit so well as my xB-so I just needed to realize what was actually what was most important because nothing will ever be just right.

-Mazda 5=nice room, more power, drove it 20 miles and my leg and hips hurt so bad from the seating position I took it back)
-Scion xb Gen 2=I love these too but it just doesn't feel like the 1st gen and I would miss that feel a whole lot even with a quiter, faster ride and more features
-VW mk5 GTI/GLi=I love the GTI (a four door) probably the closest runner up ( I have always been a VW person)-weird as it was I didn't like the GLI at all
-Scion xD=great car, just didn't feel right, just couldn't get comfy
-Mazda 3=value, features, room-if there was no box this would be right up there with the GTI
-Mini=spunky and fun, but repeated problems at the dealer with the transmissions and BMWs are falling apart right now (lots of warranty issues) and there isn't nearly the room (and I just am not a fan of the clubman's styling)
-Suzuki SX4=tight contender for so many reasons-just not surew about the looks and the resale in case
-Cube=slower, less room-really cool though
-EVO/STi=speed, 4 wheel drive, 4 doors still-just plain SO cool and so impressive-but higher gas usage, higher insurance, cops watching you, tempting to fix up even more but where can you ever actually use the power it has day to day even stock

Hope this helps anybody else car shopping-with me it just came down to the xB being reliable, fun, handles great, affordable, resale, and unique but most of all it just fits me
Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Agreed, the first gen box has def. spoiled many people. Only replacement for a first gen is another one!
Old 01-13-2009, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

the resale value is nice..but for us..who cares?

you wont get ours from us
Old 01-13-2009, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by MadMike550
the resale value is nice..but for us..who cares?

you wont get ours from us
You are right Mike. Resale is nice but I'm sure we'd still get screwed if we tried to trade in. I'm sure you are like me in that our xBs will be in our lives for a very long time.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm surprised the 2009 Honda Fit didn't make your list of contenders. That's the only currently available car that's come close to persuading me to trade in the xB. In the end, the xB won out as I had a feeling I'd regret getting rid of it a year or two down the line.

I'll have to debate the trade in issue again when I can get behind the wheel of a Cube, the only car I can see owning that may have anywhere near the essence of the 1st gen xB. BTW, I don't think it'll be a slower or less roomy car than the xB as it has a slightly more powerful engine while having similar weight and dimensions.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I am requesting to be buried in mine (don't think they will), and hopefully I have another 10 to 20 years in me. Won't make that mistake again of selling a vehicle I really loved. A 1951 Chevy PU. Slow as all getout, 0-60 in 30 sec. The xB is a great improvement on that, so I agree with those above. The only replacement for the Gen 1 xB, is another Gen 1 xB. Love the BOX.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The fit was just something I never liked the looks of or the fact that it's a Honda (they are descent cars just too many knuckleheads own them)with the exception of the Skunk 2 version but then it's not so useful anymore.

The resale/trade in is good to have in case someone hits you and totals your xB (after you quite crying you don't end up owing like $6000 still due to depriciation)
Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
SL Member

About the only real replacement I could settle for would be the new 5 door Yaris. It would be almost exactly like it driving wise.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cant replace mine but for some reason i hafto hafto. id go for a fit.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ihearyou69
I'm surprised the 2009 Honda Fit didn't make your list of contenders. That's the only currently available car that's come close to persuading me to trade in the xB. In the end, the xB won out as I had a feeling I'd regret getting rid of it a year or two down the line.
We have a 2008 Fit and it's very similar to the xB- small, bouncy, a lot of cargo space, great mileage, adequate power. It's got a little more power than the xB, is a little quieter, and shifter feels better. But I don't like the lower seating position and lack of legroom. I'm not a big guy, 6', 185 lbs, but the Fit feels cramped compared to my xB. The 2009 has a little more power and room and is supposed to be less bouncy, but I haven't read a review that says it's dramatically different from the earlier model.

Anyway, my point (if I had one) is that the Fit is very similar to the xB. So to replace one with the other doesn't really gain anything so you might as well keep the xB.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: When I thought about getting rid of my 1st gen XB

Originally Posted by greybox
In case anyone else had this crazy thought (or maybe it makes sense for others) this is what I went through but ultimately decided that there is nothing that would replace my xB. I looked for more power, more features, quieter, bigger, 4 wheel drive
I had similar thoughts a few times and did some searching. Came to basically the same conclusion- not a whole lot out there compares to the xB. I'm considering jobs a little further away and would still be driving in bumper to bumper traffic. So I was looking mainly to trade the stick for an auto, a little more comfort, reasonably small and decent MPG, and preferably with AWD. I'll probably eventually end up with a Subaru Forester or something equally uncool.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Good choice on keeping the xB!

My xB is my 1st car, but im not sure if I want to trade it in ever. I'll probably just keep it and when i'm older have a second fun car like a G35 or something... we'll see. But for now, the xB is the car for me
Old 01-18-2009, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

there was atleast two times that i can remember that i almost traded the box in. the first time was cause i just wanted to go back to have a v8 rear-wheel drive, Mustang. The other was that i wanted to get a new truck. But neither time i did it and i couldnt be happier to have kept the box.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:01 PM

i sold mine 6 months ago,
Old 01-19-2009, 04:01 PM

thinking to try the Nissan cube for a while.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:36 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

traded mine for a mk4 gti miss it alot and thinking of getting another but my gti is just so fast
Old 01-20-2009, 01:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

yeah i got a chance to drive a modded wrx and wow was it very impressive ..thats what im trying to get ..
Old 01-21-2009, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by stew32
Originally Posted by ihearyou69
We have a 2008 Fit and it's very similar to the xB- small, bouncy, a lot of cargo space, great mileage, adequate power. It's got a little more power than the xB, is a little quieter, and shifter feels better. But I don't like the lower seating position and lack of legroom. I'm not a big guy, 6', 185 lbs, but the Fit feels cramped compared to my xB. The 2009 has a little more power and room and is supposed to be less bouncy, but I haven't read a review that says it's dramatically different from the earlier model.

Anyway, my point (if I had one) is that the Fit is very similar to the xB. So to replace one with the other doesn't really gain anything so you might as well keep the xB.

The Fit might give a similar driving sensation as the xB but there is one thing that my xB will never be able to provide again -- the feeling of driving a brand new car. Sometimes you just have an itch for that new car smell and feeling, driving off the dealer's lot in a freshly unwrapped car with one mile on the odometer. I love my xB but dont' know how much longer I can resist the new car lure.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Iremember asking the dealer when my xb sat in front of the sales office ( After I built it online, I had to wait a month or so for it to arrive) is this mileage right or is that the trip odometer? she smiled and told me that it was the right milage...I had never owned a car under 30k and the shock of having a car with 3 miles was wild. I remember taking it on a 110 mile trip as soon as I got off the lot. I remember seing people mouth WTF when I passed I love it

I would get a new xb but I honestly loathe the body style....someone at scion went and screwed up a good thing
Old 01-21-2009, 04:52 AM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i wanna try out a VW R32

theres one around me that smoked me in the bends and the best of all its a woman driver

and its a good looking car too

Quick Reply: When I thought about getting rid of my 1st gen XB