Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Would you still buy your xB?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 10:52 PM

Default Would you still buy your xB?

Just wondering if anyone here regrets buying the xB? I've read a lot of complaints about the vehicle (though there probably aren't more issues with this car than with any other). I am considering this vehicle because I really like the shape of the car, fuel economy and good use of interior space however, I'm becoming more hesitant when I read some of the posts. There seem to be a lot of complaints for a vehicle so recently released to the US, notwithstanding the apparent popularity this vehicle enjoys in Japan. Since I can't read Japanese and don't know of any forums in Japan about the bB...

So, would you still buy this vehicle today knowing what you know?

Thanks.

Old 06-01-2004, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

what complaints have you seen? the only complaints i have seen in the "dear scion" forum are more recommendations to add stuff to future xBs..... as a whole i would say everyone's pretty dang happy with their car.

I know i am. For what you get and the price - you can't beat it. I would still buy it if i had to do it all over!

-ABT-
Old 06-01-2004, 11:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i would buy the xB all over again ... as mentioned..it's truly an amazing car for the price...and not to mention..the endless mods u can do.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:10 PM

Complaints about the paint and clear coat being too thin, the interior sratching too easily, angle of the windshield or quality of the glass, floor mats being cheap ($120 is too much to pay for floor/ cargo area mats when mine were included with my PT and are plush carpet that have yet to show serious signs of wear), etc. My PT's windshield sits pretty high up, too and the front takes rock chips just as any other car; so that doesn't bother me. I'm curious about the quality of the interior materials. When I test drove the xB, it didn't appear to be inferior to my PT - it seemed just as nice (actually nicer with all the storage space near the steering wheel).

Old 06-01-2004, 11:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would by both of mine over again. Remember this is a $14,000 car. So it will have some flaws. Albeit very minor. The floor mats, don't get them. Save your money and go to autozone and get some good heavy duty ones.
Old 06-01-2004, 11:27 PM
5 Year Member

I want another one, :?: hopefully a convertable :?:
Old 06-01-2004, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Cruiserblue
Complaints about the paint and clear coat being too thin, the interior sratching too easily, angle of the windshield or quality of the glass, floor mats being cheap
All true and yet none would prevent me from buying the car again.
I say this as im on my second windshield and Im eyeing a third. Japaneese windsheilds have always been notoriously poor in quality. unfortunately my replacement is (EXPENSIVE) toyota glass. I eagerly await a review of the PPG glass that has recently come out. Ill bet ten bucks its significantly more durable.

As far as the mats go i wouldnt say its quite as bad as people make it out to be. remember that you are sitting upright and your feet do really hit much more of the mat than in other cars. The problem is that they dont offer any nice all weather rubber mats. as far as the price being extra vs. your cruiser do you really think the mats were "free"?

Oh and on the paint. well the front of the car is really a flat wall and if you are moving on a southern calofrnia freeway or interstate at any significant speed you ARE going to hit stuff. (they dont clean freeways there or if they do its not very often)On the plus side toyota touch up paint is cheap and high quality. the skimpy little scion bra($45) has actually served my scion very well as that leading edge of the hood is one of the REAL trouble spots.

On a personal side note when i first saw the pt at the NY International auto show I was really impressed with the concept. Unfortunately when they came out dealers packed them out (i saw $10k over list once) it really soured me on the car then i rode in one and found myself painfully disapoint with the room inside.
If the xb had seats that were designed to be removed (which it should) it would be the complete execution of what the Pt shoulda been to me. just a thought good luck with your decision.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Underlying all the comments and suggestions posted is a generous satisfaction with the Scion vehicles.

Will probably get another when one of our current vehicles die. Hopefully by then they will have the sunroof and 4WD options. These are already available in Japan.
Old 06-02-2004, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont think id buy an xB again unless the either dropped the price to about $8000 new OR upgraded all the cheap ___ materials they use and put in a smoother tranny at the 14k price.

i love my car and all.... but im not satisfied with what the dealer/toyota sold me.

WE BOUGHT THE TERCEL OF THE MILLENIUM.

yes, its a 14k car... but after taxes title n tags... it brings is close to about 16k with very few options.

so, for a 16k car, it kinda sucks. BUT I LOVE IT!! i love the attention it draws. and so far, nothing has broken yet. so i have no REAL legitimate complaints less the cheap ___ materials and the notchy ___ tranny.

DEFINITELY A GOOD/OK CAR FOR SOMEONE WHO IS BROKE AND/OR HAS BAD CREDIT.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by MIKE DEGUZMAN
i dont think id buy an xB again unless the either dropped the price to about $8000 new OR upgraded all the cheap ___ materials they use and put in a smoother tranny at the 14k price.

i love my car and all.... but im not satisfied with what the dealer/toyota sold me.

yes, its a 14k car... but after taxes title n tags... it brings is close to about 16k with very few options.

so, for a 16k car, it kinda sucks. BUT I LOVE IT!! i love the attention it draws. and so far, nothing has broken yet. so i have no REAL legitimate complaints less the cheap ___ materials and the notchy ___ tranny.

seriously, what do you think you are going to get for $14k? its not a lexus. for what you pay, it is an excellent value. look at all the options you get. what other vehicle for $14k has traction control, vehicle skid control, keyless entry, abs all standard?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I would get another one in a second. Anyone who complains about anything being cheap in this car needs to go take a close look at the other cars in the same price range and rethink things a bit. There are a few things that could be better but I'm sure they had to cut somewhere to keep the price as low as possible.

The plastic is good, it just scuffs easily in the door sills. I haven't had any that a little elbow grease couldn't rub off.

The floor mats are pretty good. I think it's the type of weave that's causing them to look worn early. I can tell exactly where I keep my feet because the pile has pulled up some. If they weren't already included when I bought the car I would definately go for aftermarket. If you want show, they are perfect because they do look nice and have SCION embroidered on all but the rear passenger areas.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:09 AM
5 Year Member
Scion Evolution

:? Would I.....Matter of fact My lady and I plan on getting another one for her and maybe even a Tc down the line
Old 06-02-2004, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

my box the way it is right now is 17k. for pics look in my profile. i was ready to walk out the dealer complete stock. i think that idea is a rarity now because dealers are doing all sort of extras. im glad i got mine virgin when they were first released on the east coast. but after test driving a trd package scion, i wanted the stiffer ride because i like the cornering better and it sorta reminded me of the agility of my crx.

so i left the dealer at 16,007 after tax and tags. add another 1k for my rims.

so far i have a very minor rock chip that is visible. i have one that is on the outer top edge you can't see unless your outside. im very happy with my ride. considering ive put 6k miles onto he car and i had it for bout 3 months.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Reno

seriously, what do you think you are going to get for $14k? its not a lexus. for what you pay, it is an excellent value. look at all the options you get. what other vehicle for $14k has traction control, vehicle skid control, keyless entry, abs all standard?
its really not a 14k car. thats a way scion advertises to HOOK n CATCH buyers.

our xB is a 15.5-16k car. unless you buy an xB with absolutely zero options. and if you buy a scion w/ zero options.... you probably shouldnt be in the market for a new car.

i like my xB. but, i wouldnt buy another. unless i was broke and in need of a car.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I'd have to say you're probably in the minority. I think it's a great car. One of the funnest I've owned . As far as quality, it's a Toyota. Sure, people are griping about little things, but people don't usually post up things like "Nothing went wrong today, another fun day of driving". The problems people are seeing are common on most cars in this range.

I did a pretty good shop-around and didn't see anything that was a better deal for what you get and I haven't seen anything better come out since then...
Old 06-02-2004, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is the greatest, funest, coolest, car I have ever owned. Not only would I buy mine again but if we had the need for another one, I would buy it too. I haven't had mine very long. It only has about 5500 miles on it but it is so fun to drive, and I haven't had any problems with it yet. I can't think of any other car that looks this cool, with this much room, with this good of gas millage for this great of a price. And to top it all off it is made by Toyota so you know its going to be good for at least 100k miles. All of my other Toyotas have made it way way past that. Stop looking for a reason not to buy it. Its great, GETCHA ONE!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 08:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I just bought my xB less then a week ago, i would definatly buy another one. To be honest, if i ever win the lottery, i will be keeping the one i have and buying one of the tricked out models at the dealer.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MicroMachine04
It is the greatest, funest, coolest, car I have ever owned.
if it was my first car, i would say it was the greatest as well. however, i have owned and/or own 1 lexus is300, 1 bmw 525i, 1 nissan xterra, and 1 crx w/ a fully built gsr motor.

in comparison to my other cars... its an OK car. i wouldnt buy another though.

this is just to back up my opinion from the top of this thread so that you guys could get a better understanding as to why i felt this way.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MicroMachine04
It is the greatest, funest, coolest, car I have ever owned.
if it was my first car, i would say it was the greatest as well. however, i have owned and/or own 1 lexus is300, 1 bmw 525i, 1 nissan xterra, and 1 crx w/ a fully built gsr motor.

in comparison to my other cars... its an OK car. i wouldnt buy another though.

this is just to back up my opinion from the top of this thread so that you guys could get a better understanding as to why i felt this way.
And that's your problem. You expecting Lexus and BMW quality out of a $15,000 car. For what you get the xB is a great buy. No other car with its standard features is even within $3k of it. I got both my scions with only foglights as an option. I really didn't need those even. I could've gone optionless easily because all the options are really just cutesy gadgets. Does that make me not in the market for a car? What are the requirements to be in the market for a car? Because honestly, I have no clue then.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:18 PM
5 Year Member

Default Would I buy my xB again?

Yes I most definately would. I have had my little box since March 13, 2004 and have put 3900 miles on it!!! I absolutely love it. I had reservations at first but when you do the research for Toyota and the options $14K is good. I chose additional options and am up to $19K but am very very happy. I bought heavy duty rubber mats to place on top of my carpeted floor maps (I do that with all of my other cars as well. It helps at resale time, when the carpet is clean). As for the "cheap" interior, nothing that a soft terry cloth towel will not fix. I have not experienced any windshield cracking problems or chips in the paint. I would rate the car a solid 8 as far as price, options, satisfaction. THere is no way to compare this to Lexus, Mercedes, BMW etc., we also have a Mercedes and a Volvo and it definately is not a luxury vehice. I prefer the box to the Mercedes and Volvo because of the room, gas mileage, etc.

BUY ONE!!!! We are considering the tc but will hold out for a convertible or 4WD!

Quick Reply: Would you still buy your xB?