Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

XB Air Conditioning--"Re-Tooled" in '05?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 11:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default XB Air Conditioning--"Re-Tooled" in '05?

I was reading the thread on the Forbes article when I came across a bit of interesting info. It seems that the AC in the '04 XB's was not satisfactory (it was identical to the Echo's, despite the greater space to cool in the box). According to a dealer's post, Toyota re-tooled the AC for the '05's. Anybody know anything about this? I firsat tried my AC yesterday--first hot day in PA--and it worked really well....
Old 05-11-2005, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Yeah. There's even a TSB or two so we older boxes with insufficient AC can get the new system. I've read that the new system is just a non defective old design, but either way.. the AC is better in the early 05 run than prior. We had our first warm day in a long time and my AC wasn't up to the task, so I may take it in to get tested.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

superjeer--it's encouraging that Scion hooked up the owners of the old system. There are ,no doubt, other car companies that would have said "roll down the windows and deal with it"....
Old 05-11-2005, 03:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Ive had a few warm days thus far and Ive noticed that on the lowest setting for the fan the AC doesnt cool my car alot. In my 02 celica it would drive you out of the car even on the lowest setting.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

i will be taking my 04 in for the tsb shortly...
Old 05-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Banned

how goos is this TSB?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I tried the AC for the first time on Monday. KILLED the box!
Just slow and doggish.

I shut the A/C off as it was getting darker (And cooler) and
I felt like I had just installed a turbo! LOL

Yeah, so limited A/C use for me!
Old 05-11-2005, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XBman
how goos is this TSB?
If you mean, "Is there really a TSB?", yes...

http://www.club-swat.com/~scion/files/AC002-04.pdf

http://www.club-swat.com/~scion/files/AC007-04.pdf

If you mean, "Is it going to improve the A/C?", I don't know...

I have an '05...but I'm more of a windows down kinda guy anyway...
Old 05-11-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

hasnt tried the AC yet...well have pushed buttons to see lights turn on..but not actually "use" it.... tho last few days of sun here... turned the temp dial to blue/cool.... and i had to tripple check to make sure the AC button wasnt on... that air was pretty cold... hit the AC button.. and it got even cooler.... wonder if i messed somthing up when doin stereo work??? hmm
oh.. its a 05 xb btw
Old 05-11-2005, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
OhioScions

Originally Posted by kkawana
hasnt tried the AC yet...well have pushed buttons to see lights turn on..but not actually "use" it.... tho last few days of sun here... turned the temp dial to blue/cool.... and i had to tripple check to make sure the AC button wasnt on... that air was pretty cold... hit the AC button.. and it got even cooler.... wonder if i messed somthing up when doin stereo work??? hmm
oh.. its a 05 xb btw
Ummm, the AC runs whenever the switch is turned to ANY defrost setting, independent of whether the AC switch is on or not.

So, to sum up,
Yes, you have used the AC without knowing it
(All others, if you would like slightly higher gas mileage, either turn the system off when not in use, or select a non-defrost setting)
Old 05-11-2005, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had mine worked on as per the TSB. Dealer was very cooperative and fast, once we understood each other.

According to the dealer, the air coming out of your vents should be at least 45 degrees. Stick a digital thermometer in there and see what you get. Mine was only 54, so they ordered up the parts. Only took them 5 hours to do the work.

According to the dealer, Toyota is saying the problem was NOT inadequate system design but improperly functioning parts. The parts used in the TSB have the same part numbers as original equipment, whereas upgraded/new parts would have a different number. So, in effect, it's the same system, only one that works correctly.

It has been about 80-82 the past couple of days. No complaints with the new, improved AC so far. That includes getting in it a couple of times after sitting in the sun a while.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ben using AC from day one, kept us cool so far. Added filter too, prolly need to change it though weird odor smell when I first turn on car. Damn this hot weather, record highs man! Just wondering, is there more dust/debris when you rool down windows compared to using AC?
Old 05-11-2005, 11:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

hmm.. i did not know that... usually keep it on windsheild defrost/fog and foot warmer setting... will have to expierment now....lol....also need to do that filter project...
Old 05-12-2005, 01:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScoobyVan
Originally Posted by XBman
how goos is this TSB?
If you mean, "Is there really a TSB?", yes...

http://www.club-swat.com/~scion/files/AC002-04.pdf

http://www.club-swat.com/~scion/files/AC007-04.pdf

If you mean, "Is it going to improve the A/C?", I don't know...

I have an '05...but I'm more of a windows down kinda guy anyway...
yes sir i have seen those, i ment to say how good is it? does it improve it at all?
Old 05-12-2005, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This is so funny that this thread came up..... Sat it was a little warmer here in nor cal, so I turned the ac on.... not even a slight bit of cold air. So today I took it in to see what the hell? They told me it was defective and that they will be ordering me " and up grade kit." What I do not get I got my 05 in sept, there must have been more bad parts out there than they realize.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great, have not tried mine yet probably will tonight or tomorrow. Hope it works well, hate going back for service
Old 05-12-2005, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Here in Sunny South Florida, where A/C use is almost all year, I got the '05 back last fall. And, I must say, it did not cool the way my '02 nBeetle did. That produced ICE. Anyway, the dealer told me about the TSB.
I had them install the completly new unit, and noticed...not much change.
In fact, a few days later, it was blowing warmer air. So I took it back to the dealer, and he had to let some pressure OUT of the system. It had too much, so he said.

Okay, so I run the system, but to be honest, it was the fall, and around here, winter and fall is cooler...

A few weeks ago, the temps started to rise again, and I tried it out. It is indeed, blowing cooler then before. Not as cold as the Bug did, but cold enough to back the temp up a bit.

More truth be told, though. Since I got my sunroof in, I have been driving around a lot more with the windows down, roof open. Don't know if that means I am now used to warmer air, and thus when the A/C is on, it seems cold to me.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, turned mine on for the first time yesterday. Worked fine, expected a lot more loss of power. Cooled about the same as my old 02 VW Beetle Turbo
Old 05-15-2005, 03:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Strange... the AC works great in my 05, and no real noticeable power loss when on. Guess I got lucky...
Old 05-15-2005, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Boxer Rebellion
Strange... the AC works great in my 05, and no real noticeable power loss when on. Guess I got lucky...
same here. but then again, maybe i dont use my a/c enough---only when my girls ride with me and they dont wanna get their hair messed up. otherwise, i love the window down. im gonna try blasting my A/C in a lil bit and see how my ride goes.

Quick Reply: XB Air Conditioning--"Re-Tooled" in '05?