xB got whacked... now what?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 04:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB got whacked... now what?

Hi All,

My Scion xB, drivers side mirror got whacked when it was parked.
Not sure if it was vandalism or someone’s side mirror clipped it as they drove by.

Only the mirror is broken. The power mechanism works fine and there are no marks in the paint.

I can get just the mirror (glass) replaced for $30
<or> I can order a whole new mirror assembly for $197 and put it in myself
<or> have the dealer order and install it, but I then I have to pay $85 extra (estimate) for labor.

My insurance deductible for is glass / vandalism is $50

What should I do?

It seems like such a waste to replace the entire mirror assembly when all that’s broken is the glass. Also, I don’t want to be out a car for a day while they fix it, as I have nothing else to drive. Also, I don’t want my insurance to go up.

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

TJ.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I would get the mirror replaced without reporting it to your insurance.....specially if its only 30 dollars... :D
Old 08-16-2004, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ikhonlord
I would get the mirror replaced without reporting it to your insurance.....specially if its only 30 dollars... :D
That's what I would do also. It's just not worth reporting .
Old 08-16-2004, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have had my xb for two weeks now and some jack ___ rear ended me the other night. Not much real damage, but the rear and front bumbers will probably need to be replaced. (at least if i get my way) if feel bad being a jerk about a few dents, but this is a brand new car and i would like it to stay that way, at least for a few more weeks.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default How to fix your side mirror

UPDATE:

When I got my side mirror fixed I learned some interesting stuff that I wanted to share…

Most glass repair shops that repair side-mirrors only glue a new mirror OVER the broken one. It looks really bad and makes the mirror glass stick out.

The guy I went to told me (to save money on labor) to take the broken glass out myself and he would cut and install a new piece for $30, which is less than my deductible. He also told me to look and see if the plastic behind the mirror was solid and flat or hollow. He said some car companies design the plastic that holds the mirror in place just by it’s edges, so that it cannot be repaired and has to be OEM replaced.
The xB, like any well-designed Toyota, is solid underneath.

I also found out that the side mirror glass is not really a mirror, it’s 1-way mirror glass. The reason is so at night the headlight reflections won’t be so bad.

HOW TO REMOVE THE SIDE MIRROR GLASS
It took about 25 minutes to do it myself, but I wanted to work carefully and not damage the power-mirror motors. You will need: Gloves, Safety Goggles, Clear Packing tape, a bucket w/ handle, an old sheet or tarp and needle nose pliers.

* Cover the center of the broken glass with clear packing tape leaving the edges exposed. This will keep some of the glass from flying around.
* Hang the bucket on the mirror so it can catch the glass shards
* Cover the area around the mirror with an old sheet or tarp to catch the tiny pieces of glass chips that will fly around.
* Using needle nose pliers, carefully pull out the broken pieces of glass
* Once all the glass is removed pull off the adhesive (it’s like old bubble gum)
* Vacuum up all the pieces of glass that went flying and are stuck to the sheet, mirror, self (etc)
* Go to your glass repair shop and have them make a template, cut you a new piece of mirrored glass and glue it in. Use Black silicone to seal any gaps on the edges where the mirror meets the plastic.

:D