xB Prejudice at local car show

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

Default xB Prejudice at local car show

So im on my way to my gf house when i notice about 20 or so cars parked in a local ice cream bar with the hoods up. CAR SHOW! so i hurry up, get my gf and go back to the parking lot. i pull in, and this guy comes running over to me and here is how the convo went

"you cant park here your to new"
"Are you serious?!?"
"yeah, this is a classic car show, you dont exsactly fit in"
"i dont really care if you dont like my car but why cant i park and show and walk around?"
"your more then welcome to hang out, but you cant park here"
"wait, how am i to new but that 2004 Dodge Ram isnt?"

we went at it for a little while and i ended up just leaving, after making sure the guy i was talking to understood how discussed i was at his attatidude towards a fellow car enthusists. i have been a car enthusist for years and have been to countless shows and get togethers with friends. i have never ever once been told i was not welcome to show my car. its not like this was judged show...it was a bunch old guys parked at an ice cream bar in a little hick town.

sorry fellas..just needed to vent.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: xB Prejudice at local car show

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
...it was a bunch old guys parked at an ice cream bar in a little hick town....
And you were surprised they acted this way when you pulled up, uninvited, and tried to park next to them in a brand new lime green Japanese econobox?

Even if I had a full blown "show car" I wouldn't just pull into any parking lot where people are showing cars.... It could have been a local group, or just a bunch of buddies meeting each other.

If it were a ScionLife meeting and some hick pulled up uninvited in a Dodge Ram he might be treated exactly the same.

-THE DON
Old 06-01-2006, 08:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

we have a little town close by that has a cruise-in the fourth fri of the month.its funny to watch the old men with their hot rods and antiques just lookin tryin to figure what the heck im driving. im usually the only import around and their is usually about 100 + cars. i hear the jokes and rude comments but guess what? i dont care. for every old fart that has a complaint there is another that is fascinated with my car and they are sure to ask questions. my job has been accomplished. if ur not comfortable, move on. there is always someplace else to go where true car enthusiasts will welcome u. oh, by the way, the town had a documentary done about the revitalization since starting the cruise-ins and they show the street up and down with all the hot rods, pro streets, antiques, and in the middle of it all this lone import keeps popping up in the movie.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well put, Don. Well put.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

YourNameHere, I'm not really surprised. I live in a little hick town not far from your little hick town, and all the time I get comments about driving "Jap Junk." I try not to let it get to me, but it is annoying when the majority of people in town, especially car enthusiasts, are redneck import haters.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Terry...Old Fart Here....I Drive A 06 bsp xb...Best Ride Yet
Old 06-01-2006, 11:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hate it when people say comments behind the owners back

just today i was showing it to some random and hes like " I have to be honest to you i think its ugly"

Im glad he was honest, we dont like everything out there but im glad he told me rather then beling like that cool and then saying how ugly it was to his wife later

i agree with The Don though on this one
Old 06-02-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And you wanted to hang out with some good ol boys who were pulling each others c@cks, showing domestics why? Sounds like an open invitation to let the hatin begin.. i agree with the Don on this one... what if you were having a scion meet, and some buck toofed jim bob came in with his old couger, would you want him to show with you, or would you tell him he could look all he wanted, but not to show his ride with all the imports? just my $0.02
Old 06-02-2006, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Was this actually show, or maybe a car club getting together? Either way they handled it wrong.

I have been involved in several clubs in my time, and we would often meet up at various locations and all park together. Sometimes just to hang out, other times for meetings. Usually if we are all parked together no one else ever bothered to park near us. When someone did we just gave them a "what the h377 are you thinking parking there?" look. And if anyone not a part of our group asked we would point out that they had nothing to do with us.

If it was a show, I do understand why they did what they did, but they probably went about it the wrong way. There was an annual local show around here that used to draw huge numbers. It was getting bigger every year, both in participants and attendees. They were quickly outgrowing the venue. Some of the older, less accepting guys decided they didn't like any of the new "minitruck" crowd and so they limited the show to '73 and older.

Because of that, the show has all but died off. When they imposed that limitation 1/2 the participants dropped out and even more past attendees decided to opt out. The organizers of the show had every right to do what they did, but it really backfired on them. Kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

They have more recently begun allowing newer vehicles in again, but they keep them away from the main venue. They end up parked on side streets. The show is rebuilding, but far from what it was before they decided to restrict attendance.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by THE_DON
Originally Posted by YourNameHere
...it was a bunch old guys parked at an ice cream bar in a little hick town....
And you were surprised they acted this way when you pulled up, uninvited, and tried to park next to them in a brand new lime green Japanese econobox?

Even if I had a full blown "show car" I wouldn't just pull into any parking lot where people are showing cars.... It could have been a local group, or just a bunch of buddies meeting each other.

If it were a ScionLife meeting and some hick pulled up uninvited in a Dodge Ram he might be treated exactly the same.

-THE DON
Obviously you guys are a little confused as to why the site was started. I don't believe it said, "come join scionlife, so we can all be bunnies." I swear, the more and more the days go on, i realize how messed up in the head some of you people really are. Even if he wasn't wanting to show his car, what was the harm in parking there? What if he wanted some damn ice cream? You all need to do a little thinking before you spout off some more bullpucky like that.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

And for the record, if someone came up and parked next to us in a parking lot, the guys in D & S wouldn't treat em like ____. You guys have turned this site around and you should really rethink your strategy as to why you log on in the first place.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

-THE DON
I hafta disagree here, If the dodhe was in nice condition and had something to show, why not take a look at it and welcome him to look at your cars.
There is no good excuse for being a jerk to someone because thier car doesn't fit in with the rest.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It shouldn't be that big of a deal, man. Do you really want your car showing next a freakin' Dodge ram, anyways? Nobody would see your car- it would be lost in the shadow of that giant turd of a truck.
And TheDon is right. I was having my bumper fixed on my car, and did a drivethru at a certain scion car club's meeting, in my wife's lovely oldsmobile wagon. I was going to park, but after some nasty looks , some laughing , and an audible:"WTF is that? "- I decided not to stop. It didn't bother me, tho. ...it is kind of stupid to try and park your olds wagon in line at a scion meeting . Same thing with the inbreds and the ram trucks- try and put them with your box all you want, they just don't mix.

*edit* Just to clarify- Noone actually said anything to me, and I'm sure people would have been decent towards me if I would have parked and talked a little. Noone would have told me not to park there, but they probably wouldn't like it. (especially when all the xBs were parked in a line, and someone was taking pics--of course, this was why I WAS tempted to park there. he he. Imagine those pics...all of these shiny boxes, and this big stupid GM station wagon sticking out. HE HE.).*/edit*
Old 06-02-2006, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Club One

SL Member

Don't you hate it when you get car snob's? If you have a cool ride or you appreciate looking at other people's rides it shouldn't matter if you have an import or domestic. People need to be more open to other people's rides.

Then after they leave you can talk S**T about them. J/K
Old 06-02-2006, 03:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, you shouldn't have been treated roughly. But if they observed some kind of "entry rules", however arbitrary, it won't pay to argue about it. You wouldn't want to park there after winning the argument, after all.

I enjoy car cruises, but I can tell you I'm not really interested in looking at anything that is still in production, or Japanese econoboxes in particular. I think they lack the character of old German, English, Italian, or American cars - sorry. There's something about Quality that doesn't always equate to Interesting - for me, anyway.

I might be interested in an early '70s Civic or Corolla or Datsun, but pretty much for historical purposes (well-kept, etc.) - not because they're particularly cool.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

It's a free country, park where the hell you want to park!
Old 06-02-2006, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

i am a car enthusist. i dont care what it is or who makes it. if it has wheels and an engine i want to check it out. i dont have brand/badge prejudice nor do i care how old/new a car is. if you love your car then thats more then enough for me...teh 1st sat of every month i show at a local corvette club show. there is prob about 50 vettes and then another 100 or so muscle cars hot rods and trucks. MAYBE 3 or 4 imports. but ya know what. i had so many ppl asking me about my car, it was great. thats the kind of show that i like.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sprslug_182

-THE DON
Obviously you guys are a little confused as to why the site was started. I don't believe it said, "come join scionlife, so we can all be bunnies." I swear, the more and more the days go on, i realize how flipped in the head some of you people really are. Even if he wasn't wanting to show his car, what was the harm in parking there? What if he wanted some damn ice cream? You all need to do a little thinking before you spout off some more bullpucky like that.
I said he MIGHT be treated that way, not "I would treat him that way" so relax! I wouldn't care who showed up to a local meet, but obviously some people do. As was the case with these old guys. I was just giving a flip side example, not advocating that Scion drivers should act this way.

-THE DON
Old 06-02-2006, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I feel your anger man. Theres a lot of people in my area who you see snickering all the time as if your some f^&%n alien or something. All I know is when my ZPI turbo kit and forged internals go in I'm hangin my ***** out(as it were).
Old 06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

waaa waaa waaa waaaa waaaa...... you are all babies so keep crying... i am quitting this site because of this string.

Quick Reply: xB Prejudice at local car show