Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

xb in snow

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member

Default xb in snow

had our first winter storm here in the north east and i'm here to say that the xb did a fairly good job in the snow, just in case you guys get a crazy snow storm out in cali.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The chances of Cali getting snow are slim to none . I never say never, because anything can happen . By the way , do you have any pictures?
Old 12-08-2003, 02:18 AM
5 Year Member

i remember it snowing in san diego on valentines day 1990. just a quick flurry. but anyhow, i've been so damn lazy to take a pic, but there is a pic the dealer took that is in the registry.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Here's my xB in the snow. Mind you this was this morning b4 we had another 8 in dumped on us. Sat. night I had to drive to work and the box handled extremely well. I'd have to say that driving on the highway with hardly anyone else on the road was different, especially since it was covered in hard-pack snow making it a 3 lane wide stretch of white. It was great! :D [/img]
Old 12-08-2003, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

:oops: What a wuss I am, I thought I drove through alot of snow a few weeks ago.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:00 AM

Thats something I have never seen before! Nice pic though. The only time it snows in cali is in the mountains or up north like eureka or by mount Shasta. Chains required on that one for sure! :D

Old 12-08-2003, 04:14 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

isn't the tehachapis in CA? I know I drove thru some white puffy stuff, or was it a cocaine storm?
Old 12-08-2003, 04:19 AM

Cocaine storm? Dam squirrel I told you about to stop smoking that stuff while driving.

Old 12-08-2003, 04:21 AM
Banned
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Stylis
Cocaine storm? Dam squirrel I told you about to stop smoking that stuff while driving.
Man, why you gotta dime me out for!?!
Old 12-08-2003, 04:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

Heh heh .. I still get a kick outta the whole chains thing. Course growing up in the northeast you learn to live with snow and drive in snow. Now every time I see salt on my car I cringe. I know I'm going to end up spending a lot more money this yr washing my car. For the winter it'll be taking it to the car wash (self or touchless only). anyway, I'll try and get some good pictures of scenery after a snow storm. It's the only plus to this white chit all over the place.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: xb in snow

Originally Posted by NJxB
had our first winter storm here in the north east and i'm here to say that the xb did a fairly good job in the snow, just in case you guys get a crazy snow storm out in cali.
Guess you won't need a cold air intake in NJ...
Old 12-08-2003, 04:37 AM

LOL Cold air intake and he lives in the cold! I get it, man that was good! Squirrel this is some good stuff. I'm hungry now!

Old 12-08-2003, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MrSmiley
Heh heh .. I still get a kick outta the whole chains thing. Course growing up in the northeast you learn to live with snow and drive in snow. Now every time I see salt on my car I cringe. I know I'm going to end up spending a lot more money this yr washing my car...
Californians are scary in the snow. Since they get very little practice, except for those folks who live in the mountains, they slap on a set of chains and think that they are invincible!

One nice thing about California is that they use sand instead of salt. I think that the use of salt should be considered state-sponsored vandalism.

George
Old 12-09-2003, 10:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Awesome. I was wondering how its going to fare in the snow. Do you have snow tires, or just the all-season stock tires?

No slipping/sliding? I'm just wondering because I went from a 4WD explorer to the xB, and I'm going to miss the 4WD in snow. There is snow in California, its just in the right places (i.e. up in the mountains where you can visit it for the day, not at my house)

Since you're a seasoned snow veteran, what do you recommend as far as chains?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

99.9% of people here in the northeast dont use chains. I can't remember the last time I saw a car w/ chains on.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ahhh. It must be the terrain. Chains are usually required at most mountain areas in California during a snowstorm (like Tahoe, Mammoth, even Big Bear sometimes). It must be because there's steep inclines and mountain switchbacks with cliffs and stuff. They probably get sick of scraping us off the sides of mountains.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

When I moved out to CA I was shocked to hear that people are allowed, and often mandated, to use chains. Back home they're illegal.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DibujoB
When I moved out to CA I was shocked to hear that people are allowed, and often mandated, to use chains. Back home they're illegal.
It's mostly because Californians are not well practiced in the stuff. Chains force drivers to slow down. The CHP is rather draconian about where you have to put them on as well. They often make you put them on miles before you will encounter enough snow to keep the chains cushioned, which leads to breakage and body damage.

Personally, If I have the choice, I just wait a day and let it melt off!

George
Old 02-09-2004, 10:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Couldn't resist posting this picture of my xB covered in a FOOT+ of snow in Tahoe last week! If this was video you could see it shivering... Now who was it that said California doesn't get snow??

Old 02-10-2004, 03:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dannnnng! That's crazy! Don't have that in Houston. I bet the traction control must work pretty good.

Quick Reply: xb in snow