Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Default xB specific, xm malfunction

Mods please do not move this to electrical, as it has only to do with the xB.

For the past 2 weeks my xM just stopped working. The headunit read and blinked ANTENNA, while in sat mode. (sat=satellite radio)

Today it was very warm for the first time in months (40 degrees) and the xm worked in the mid afternoon after sitting in the sun all day. Then tonight after it got cold again and the sun went down, I get in my car....and the xm is no longer working. The word ANTENNA is blinking on the head unit again. The AM and FM channels work just fine, along with the cd player. I scheduled an appointment at the dealership, for tomarrow. I would have done it 2 weeks ago but havnt had any time.

Has this happend to anyone else? Do you think there is moisture in the black box on the roof?

Well, I will keep ya posted as to the problem in case anyone else has this problem too.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I've had mine out in the ice, snow and rain and never had a problem with it. I would guess that there is a loose connection somewhere between the antenna and the radio. The dealer should be able to hook you up.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:16 PM
5 Year Member

Default XM Radio

When you are listening to XM radio, are you able to see the artist and track name through the headunit or just the channel number?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take it to the dealership under warranty?

Or is this something you've installed yourself?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

you can see most of the names, it does not scroll though, so it cuts off part of it
Old 03-01-2005, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member

Default XM radio

Ok, just one more thing... When you go from fm or cd to xm, what button do you push? How many presets (channel presets) can you program for xm? I'm debating on getting the factory tuner for $300 +s/h or getting the 910XM and adapter for $250. With the adapter, I wouldn't be able to see the track info.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you press sat/am you can program 18 presets for your fav sat stations you can use the scan/text button to see artist song and station i have the factory tuner myself and have installed the factory system in many toyota/scion models and have not seen any problems at all
Old 03-01-2005, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the track info is a follows from the scan/text button displayed one at a time station station name artist and song title it cuts off long titles but you get the picture you get used to it and the sound quality is perfect if you go with the factory unit my suggestion is to also change out the stock speakers cuz the stock speakers cant hang with the perfect
signal/sound from the xm i have added the stock bass tube (i sounds just fine to me ) infinity 6002i deep mount in front and infinity 5002i in back left the stock tweeters in the dash
the thing goes no to max volume i think 65 with no distortion on xm i have not played a regular cd or mp3 or listend to radio since i got it
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

The antenna lamp blinks because a malfunction on the antenna connection. The antenna is not being detected by the radio. The XM radio is located under the passenger seat, mounted to the floor and covered with with a carpet like material.

Begin troubleshooting by checking the green and yellow connections as they plug into the radio. squeeze the connector to release them. Examine it for dirt or a piece of carpet fuzz. Look at the connector closely with a flashlight and the connection on the radio for a bent pin etc. reinstall the connector. you will hear it click into place. Next examine the wiring harness for the antenna where it exits the taillamp housing area and runs along the rear hatch opening to the antenna. look for a pinched wire or cut wire.

These would be the most likely two problems.

It's possible the antenna harness could be pinched as it runs along the inside of the vechicle along the passenger rear panel and under the door sills to the radio.

check out the obvious then let the dealer determine if the radio or the antenna is defective.

I installed my radio myself and took extreme care in routing cable harness.

Early XM radio's (from years ago) did not have a standardized antenna cable connections. I use to have an antenna problem like you spoke of because the antenna I used had connections that were a few thousands different in diameter than the radio's. causing an intermittent connection.

I hope this helps
Vince
Old 03-02-2005, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default XM Factory vs. 910 Adapter

Kacosta, Thanks for your input. I ordered the factory setup last night.
I also have the stock subwoofer, but I don't think I'll change the speakers. I do have some 6.5" Bazooka speakers that I had in my '85 BMW Civic, but I traded it in...and took my speakers back.
I did remount the sub tube though. It was perpendicular to the rear seat so the cargo space was obstructed with a foot of space on one side and about two feet on the other with the sub in the middle. So I took out the cargo mat and cover and drilled some more holes to mount the sub parallel to the rear seat. I'll post pics later.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Awsome, thanks for the info Hippy. I always though that was the amp for the bazooka lol.

It mysteriously went away after I took it to another dealer to be worked on for my accident. I told them about it too, they must have played with the wires. Cause when I got it back, a corner of the carpet was pulled back.