Notices
Scion xB 1st-Gen Owners Lounge
First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

xB and trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member

Cool xB and trailer

90k on the xB, still going strong. I have a Hidden Hitch on the beast (http://www.etrailer.com/p-28501.html).

The trailer is a 1985 Coleman Colorado soft top. I've completely rebuilt it (new canvas, new tonneau cover, etc). It's only 575lbs base weight (515 on the axle, 60 on the tongue), and by itself the xB has zero issues pulling it around. It can technically hold up to 1200 GVWR, but 625lbs of gear is a bit excessive... LOL. With my 10x10 Pop-up I MIGHT have 150lbs of gear in there plus a standard 5 gallon propane tank sometimes.

The hitch bike rack has a through pull to attach the trailer to. It was almost impossible to find in a 1 1/4" receiver size. I got lucky and found it on a closeout for under $40. With the two bikes on it, it pushes the rear suspension to it's max, partly because of the increased distance on the trailer ball too.

With just the trailer I still get about 6 1/2 to 7" of clearance to the bottom of the hitch (8" to the skirting). That's a nice advantage to the hidden hitch. It only drags my gas mileage down to 28 or so.

With both the rack and the trailer the rear hitch was riding about 5-5 1/2" off the ground, and was definitely more spongy. Would definitely not want anyone besides myself and one passenger (usually my wife) in the car with us. Gas mileage dropped to about 25.5 MPG with the hitch, and I could feel the engine complaining a lot more than with just the trailer going up hills. But, with an easy foot on the gas and brake it wasn't really an issue.

It is an automatic tranny. I drive a lot of forest service roads in it, and I have a bit more skill driving it than most people I'd say. Knowing when to turn off overdrive going up-hill so the tranny doesn't "search" gears on you and knowing how to downshift into 2nd and 1st on steep hills (esp. forest service roads!) really help out a lot. It also saves a lot of wear on my brakes.

Having done this a few times now, I can say that I'd be more than fine taking the trailer alone on longer multi-state trips, even on forest service roads. With the bike rack added, I'll definitely not be leaving the paved path much, and staying closer to home. However, it still makes for a nice getaway combo!
Attached Thumbnails xB and trailer-img_0386-1.jpg  

Last edited by mhungry; 04-23-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice job on the trailer. You might benefit from adding a set of air helper springs that can be inflated/deflated with a regular air pump. They sit inside your rear springs and would help with the extra load.
http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f15/diy...ags-34771.html
Old 04-24-2010, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it can't fit inside the box, then you shouldn't bring it with you!

Haha.

I'm glad it can tow things when needed.
It still looks more normal than a Cavalier with a trailer.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Zman
If it can't fit inside the box, then you shouldn't bring it with you!

Haha.

I'm glad it can tow things when needed.
It still looks more normal than a Cavalier with a trailer.
yeah, completely agree. an xb towing something is so natural looking. any sedan towing a load sticks out like a sore thumb.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Alright, I've kinda had enough of the towing bickering...
Don, the kid's gonna do what he's gonna do. When he gets 5 mpg and his trans blows up, that's his problem.

Cadoo... read the above. The xB isn't designed for towing, Toyota doesn't recommend towing. Some people do it, but some people also do heroin. I don't recommend either.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm can I ask a towing related question without fear of being disembodied?

I'm getting a Yamaha YFZ 450r (BYAHHHHHELLLLLSSSSYEA!....ahem..sorry)

...I don't have a truck, yet... Will the xB manual tranny hold up well towing just one quad and a small trailer for it? id say the quad is around 350 to 450lbs...

Also,

I may jump on a deal for an early 90's GM small pickup, S10 size with a swapped 350. That is all.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

i have a roof rack
Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Originally Posted by FlakoFigZ

...I don't have a truck, yet... Will the xB manual tranny hold up well towing just one quad and a small trailer for it? id say the quad is around 350 to 450lbs...

Also,

I may jump on a deal for an early 90's GM small pickup, S10 size with a swapped 350. That is all.
wait for the S10...
Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Now, keep it on topic and quit the bickering.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FlakoFigZ

Looks like the wet weight of that quad is listed at 405lbs. Add another 300-400lbs for a trailer gets you up around 700-800lbs. That is a significant load, and you will feel it behind you. But I think the Box will be up to it, having a manual will actually help as they don't tend to overheat when towing the way and auto might.
Don't worry too much about the "OMG DON'T TOW!!!!" crowd. They've never towed with their xBs and have no actual information or experience aside from the one line in the owners manual. None of the people who *do* tow with their xBs have mentioned a single mechanical problem that could even vaguely be related to towing.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Improbcat
Looks like the wet weight of that quad is listed at 405lbs. Add another 300-400lbs for a trailer gets you up around 700-800lbs. That is a significant load, and you will feel it behind you. But I think the Box will be up to it, having a manual will actually help as they don't tend to overheat when towing the way and auto might.
Don't worry too much about the "OMG DON'T TOW!!!!" crowd. They've never towed with their xBs and have no actual information or experience aside from the one line in the owners manual. None of the people who *do* tow with their xBs have mentioned a single mechanical problem that could even vaguely be related to towing.
cat, couple things:

1) i highly doubt the actual trailer will weight 300-400 if it is for one ATV. maybe 200 at most.
2) Yeah, itll definitely be felt, but a manual tranny is probably going to be a little more rough for the engine compared to an auto. I agree about the overheating issue however, the manual shifting of gears can be 'hard' for the engine.
3) agree about the dont tow crowd. however, they do have a lot more info than the manual. the xb can tow fine, but their main argument is the chassis of the vehicle not able to handle the strain of the added weight in the rear. they can whine about it all they want, and they will, even if nobody has reported mechanical issues regarding towing.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:19 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Originally Posted by ajcadoo
they can whine about it all they want, and they will
Hey, kid. See this?

Originally Posted by Big_Bird
Now, keep it on topic and quit the bickering.
Yeah, adhere to it.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1) i highly doubt the actual trailer will weight 300-400 if it is for one ATV. maybe 200 at most.
You're probably right, I wasn't sure what they weighed so I was erring on the pessimistic side.

2) Yeah, itll definitely be felt, but a manual tranny is probably going to be a little more rough for the engine compared to an auto. I agree about the overheating issue however, the manual shifting of gears can be 'hard' for the engine.
True, though a manual trans is that little bit harder on the engine all the time, and towing will probably add the same amount of strain to the engine with either trans, so the difference with a manual won't be all that relevant. Also, you get *slightly* more HP to the wheels with a manual (less parasitic loss in the trans), so you have a few more HP to work with with a manual. Just be careful not to ride the clutch and end up overheating that.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Improbcat
You're probably right, I wasn't sure what they weighed so I was erring on the pessimistic side.

True, though a manual trans is that little bit harder on the engine all the time, and towing will probably add the same amount of strain to the engine with either trans, so the difference with a manual won't be all that relevant. Also, you get *slightly* more HP to the wheels with a manual (less parasitic loss in the trans), so you have a few more HP to work with with a manual. Just be careful not to ride the clutch and end up overheating that.
Bring up some valuable points about the tranny comparison there. The more HP the better.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

huh good info...

I may just wait for a truck and save money on the trailer...

In fact I dont think I want to travel through mud in my car anyway O.o
Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a good thing that Chevy and Dodge trucks do not hold their value, so buy one for cheap and tow 4,000 pounds!