First Generation 2004-2006.5 [NCP31]

Yakima Mighty Joe -Hatch Bike Rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Yakima Mighty Joe -Hatch Bike Rack

After configuring the Yakima roof rack with my choices, it came down to $400. That's a lot. However, Yakima also makes compatible trunk/hatch bike racks. I bought one for $80 called the Mighty Joe. This one carries a total of 3...NOTE: According to Yakima's instructions, the xB is limited to a max load of 2 for this 3-bike rack. This is due to the vehicle construction (the lift gate is basicly vertical).

Pros:
1. Easier to put the bikes on the hatch than on the roof.
2. Cheap.
3. Pretty Sturdy...once you install it properly.
4. You can still open the hatch...do it slowly. BE CAREFUL when putting down the hatch as there is added weight on it...SLAM!
5. No possible road noise compared to roof rack.
6. Scares those SUVs from tailgating you.
7. It's pretty light. Lighter than my bike.

Cons:
1. Not that secure...Yakima SKS cores really do not work on this system.
2. The side snaps have the tendency to move up and down.
3. Hatch indentation is very possible... due to strain and repeative uses.
4. It could fall off if you drive too fast then suddenly hit a dip.
5. Scares those SUVs from tailgating you...some just dont care and ram you. Time to get those flag reflectors at Home Depot.
6. Probably just bike design but the rear tires stick out past the left side of the car. About 5 inches to the left of the tailights. This is with the rack basically centered on the hatch.
7. Possible increase of hatch strut wear (factory is made by KYB) due to repeated opening and closing of the hatch with attached rack.

Conclusion: I'll probably just sucker up and by the Yakima roof rack system. Especially since I might use the roof rack more often like buying several ladders, placing a mattress on top (ouch), and getting a tan on the roof (joke). It's cheap but I will be returning it...after 1 day of use. I just don;'t feel safe that it is secure enough. Yes I know there is a top and bottom snaps that hold it well. But the sides worry me...or I'm paranoid. The roof system minimize such risk but lower of MPG plus road noise...hmm. Not sure what Yakima was thinking for recommending the hatch rack on extremely vertical hatch/light gate vehicles. Possible liability there.

Pics here:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/keiunichi/my_photos
Old 08-07-2005, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

those trunk racks are good if you rarely use em and you need something in a pinch, but i am not really keen on all those cables..
Old 08-07-2005, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I drive my Element into work w/ my bike on Monday and then ride back and forth until Fridays. I have another week until my xB is here and DAMN if I am not just TIRED of my old rear mount rack.

I'm trading in the Element and a big reason I wanted the xB, initially hehe, was that it was easier to get that bike up on top.

The hatch rack just gets so dern tiring taking those straps on and off and not being able to access the back end.

Can hardly wait to get that rack up on my TCM and get around like a champ w/ the roof rack!!
Old 08-25-2005, 05:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I can't imagine how the trun/hatch bike rack would look on a xB, got pictures cuz i just can't picture it. I'll be moving from Virginia to California and I got tons of things to stuff in my box and I really don't want to spend more than what my bike is worth to haul it cross country. I probably be hauling one or two bikes for occasional weekend trips couple of times a year.