Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

blinker resistor wire help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default blinker resistor wire help?

I got the resistor to slow down my led blinker. does anyone know which wire is the running light, and which one is the blinker wire ?

thanks in advance,
Old 02-17-2012, 09:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lightbulb

Should just get a new Toyota LED Blinker relay here

Would be better than cutting wires.

Old 02-18-2012, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The resistors I have used are tapped into both neg and pos wires. Are you doing the rear or fronts?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DigitalPro
Should just get a new Toyota LED Blinker relay here

Would be better than cutting wires.
That's what I used to think but my V-LEDs flasher came loose twice and is now completely dead after ~2 years. I'm currently trying to find a better quality replacement since I still don't want to hack into my oem wiring harness.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The flasher relay that V-LEDs sells is an OEM Toyota product. I don't know where you might find anything of better quality. Might be time to just cough up another $16 and buy a new one Fred. That's what I did when my first one failed after 2 year, and the new one has been going strong for another 2 years.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
The flasher relay that V-LEDs sells is an OEM Toyota product. I don't know where you might find anything of better quality. Might be time to just cough up another $16 and buy a new one Fred. That's what I did when my first one failed after 2 year, and the new one has been going strong for another 2 years.
You got an oem Toyota flasher from V-LEDs? I got a knock-off from China or Hong Kong. It didn't even fit without cutting off the retention prongs. I ordered a new one from JDMToys for $11 shipped and I saw the same V-LED flasher on ebay for as little as $7 shipped but I didn't want to wait for it to arrive from Hong Kong.

Anyway, it's not such a big deal that they only last 2 years but it sucks when it fails on your way to work and you have no choice but to drive without turn signals the rest of the way, then home, then park the car for several days while waiting for a replacement unit. Maybe I should buy a spare? I kept the original in the car for the first year but must have removed it when cleaning and now I can't find it.

Oh well, you're right... it's still better than load resistors.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
You got an oem Toyota flasher from V-LEDs?
Yup, it's made by Denzo, and on the side it says "TOYOTA" along with the part #81980-02030. I had to break off the retention clips also.

When I ran the part# through TRDsparks website it came up as an OEM turn signal flasher for the Sienna, Avalon & FJ Cruiser.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yup, it's made by Denzo, and on the side it says "TOYOTA" along with the part #81980-02030. I had to break off the retention clips also.

When I ran the part# through TRDsparks website it came up as an OEM turn signal flasher for the Sienna, Avalon & FJ Cruiser.
Was that the first one, the second one or both? The one I got from V-LEDs has no name other than "FLASHER" and was made in Taiwan. This probably explains why my parking lights usually flashed when I locked/unlocked the doors. Although they didn't flash if it was very cold out.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Denzo flasher I have is the second one I bought from V-LEDs. I don't remember the info on the first one, and I threw it away after it died. The new (second) one keeps the door lock/unlock confirmation flashes operational, but the first one did not.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lucky Bastage! V-LEDs really hooked you up! The oem flasher they sent you costs about $40 from discount oem sources and $50+ at the local stealer. I ordered 2 more knock-offs for $21 total and assuming they last 2 years each, I should be set. Although I'd much rather have a Denso unit that will probably outlast the car.

I wonder if yours fell off a truck? That might explain how V-LEDs could sell it so cheap and why they've been out of stock for so long.

BTW, did you misspell Denso or is it really Denzo? If Denzo, I wonder if it might be a Chinese knock-off? They're shameless enough to put "Toyota" on a knock-off and label it Denzo.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're right, it's spelled Denso on the flasher, my bad. I just remembered that my first one from VLEDs was the exact same, which is why Toyota honored the ESA when they had to trouble-shoot my A/C fan staying on when the ignition was turned off & the key removed. If the faulty flasher relay was not an OEM Toyota unit they probably would have denied the warranty claim.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're right, it's spelled Denso on the flasher, my bad. I just remembered that my first one from VLEDs was the exact same, which is why Toyota honored the ESA when they had to trouble-shoot my A/C fan staying on when the ignition was turned off & the key removed. If the faulty flasher relay was not an OEM Toyota unit they probably would have denied the warranty claim.
I wouldn't put it past some dealers to try and pull something that sleazy but there is no way in h__ that a flasher relay could have caused that problem. Did they tell you what the cause was? My guess would be a stuck HVAC fan relay.

It seems odd that V-LEDs can sell a flasher relay that goes for $50 retail and $35 wholesale for only $17. If they can, why would they picture a cheap knock-off flasher (like they sent me) on their website? More likely that they immediately knew the cause was a sticking fan relay and didn't even bother to look at the flasher relay.

Anyway, thanks for the Toyota flasher part #. If the knock-offs I just bought don't work as they should, I may just pony up the extra cash for the oem quality Denso flasher.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't put it past some dealers to try and pull something that sleazy but there is no way in h__ that a flasher relay could have caused that problem. Did they tell you what the cause was? My guess would be a stuck HVAC fan relay.
Checking the fan and all normally associated electrical system components was the first thing they did. The tech at the dealership couldn't figure it out, so they called a Toyota engineer who worked through wiring diagrams to figure it out. The tech at the dealership actually showed me in person that the fan would stay on with the bad LED relay when the ignition was turned off, and then when he swapped in the proper OEM relay for the incandescent bulbs it turned off properly when the ignition was turned off. It didn't make sense to me either, but somehow part of the HVAC (fan) power passes through that turn signal relay.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That is weird! After looking at the wiring diagram the only possibility I can see is that the flasher relay shorted internally in such a way that it was back feeding +12V from the constant +12V battery to the IG circuit that is used to hold other relays closed. This held the blower fan relay closed allowing the fan to still run even with the ign off. I never would have guessed that the flasher relay could affect the blower fan.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I never would have guessed that the flasher relay could affect the blower fan.
Neither would I, and I still didn't believe them after they explained it to me. They had to actually swap the signal flasher relays back & forth b/w the good one & the bad one for me to see it with my own 2 eyes before I believed them... but it was such a weird explanation that they understood my disbelief.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I finally found my oem flasher relay hidden under the rear seat and installed it as a temp solution. 5 mins after I installed it the postal carrier showed up and unexpectedly had the new relay I ordered on Sunday.

The new relay looks just like the old one but with no markings other than the 2 compatible Toyota part #'s. The oem Denso flasher gave hyper-signals, normal hazards and door lock/unlock flash. The new flasher has normal signals, hazards and door lock/unlock flash. Despite the potential problems, it's still better than load resistors.