Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Front Air Dam

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:43 PM

Default Front Air Dam

Has anyone had a problem catching the air dam on those concrete parking lot bumpers? Getting too close when parking has torn mine and Scion refuses to help.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The xB2 is only 14 feet long. You can stop 2-3 feet before the parking lot bumpers, and still not stick out too far.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:38 PM

Default Air Dam

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
The xB2 is only 14 feet long. You can stop 2-3 feet before the parking lot bumpers, and still not stick out too far.
I agree, but the Air Dam is already broken. I didnt originally see it at the bottom because it is black. I am handicapped and judging the distance is difficult sometimes.

For good customer relations alone, I think Scion should accomodate me and replace it. Trying to contact anyone other than customer service is bullet proof.

Reviewing their dramatic XB sales drop over the past 2-3 years, combined with the economy; you would think good sense of customer expectations should prevail.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are you talking about the thin little black strip that hangs down from back behind the front bumper? If so, you might be able to pick that up at a pick-a-part/salvage yard. I know there aren't a lot of crashed xB2's yet, but there are some around.

Oh, and yea, whatever happened to customer service above & beyond the call?
Old 11-07-2008, 05:15 PM

Are you talking about the thin little black strip that hangs down from back behind the front bumper? If so, you might be able to pick that up at a pick-a-part/salvage yard. I know there aren't a lot of crashed xB2's yet, but there are some around.

Oh, and yea, whatever happened to customer service above & beyond the call?
I will tell everyone I meet that Scion sucks because of their repair policy. I will tell them not to buy any of their products because the dont stand behind them. I hope their sales goes in the toilet. From what I have read in the WS Journal, its heading for there anyway. Turds.

Let my preface my remarks with this. CS told me that I should have test driven the car (which I did), and make note that the piece hung down there. I told her it was black, and essentially she said that was my problem, not theirs.

That thin strip is not what it appears. It goes backwards then across the whole underside. It is about 12 inches deep. When it catches, it breaks the whole piece under the car. The plastic pop-in holders tear and no longer hold that piece in place, so it hangs down and can be seen under the car (which looks crappy).

When I called Scion CS. They said they would document the problem. I asked if it would be sent to someone to remedy. You can see the same below. I then asked to see her supervisor. He said the same thing. He said they would document the problem, but that is as far it would go. I asked to see the head of CS and he said he was. I then asked him to send me Scion's address. He gave me his address.

Here is the thread of my email/conversation with CS:

Mr. Ahrens;

As per your request during your conversation with Sean Pete, here is the corporate mailing address:

Scion Customer Experience

Dept. WC12

19001 S. Western Ave.

Torrance, CA 90501

Again, we apologize for your concerns and have documented them here at corporate headquarters under case numbers 200811060863 and 200811010175.

Thanks again for contacting us

Keegan Webster

Response (Brandi Cherry) 11/01/2008 12:52 PM
Mr. Ahrens:

I apologize about the concern your having with your front end. At this time, Scion does not have a design resolution. The only recommendation I could make is to park a couple inches from the concrete parking stumps so that nothing gets caught.

I have documented your comments at our corporate offices so that we may have a record of your concern. Should you have any further questions or comments please contact us at 866-707-2466 Monday-Friday 5am-6pm PST and Saturday 7am-4pm PST.

Brandi Galindo-Cherry
Customer (Ronald Ahrens) 11/01/2008 10:12 AM
The plastic piece that sticks down at the front-end of my xB is always getting caught on the concrete parking stops. When I tried to pull out of a parking place(s), it catches(caught), pulled down forward and broke. Because it broke out the plastic connectors, I had to cut the plastic away.

I consider this to be a design issue, and it is damaging my car. I am not the only person having this occur. Even an employee at a Scion dealer said she having the same problem.

I would appreciate your response to my question and whether or not Scion intends to provide a solution.

thanks.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The problem your having with your car is not a design defect, and thus they will not repair anything. I've been in a customer service dept for an auto company and damage is not covered under warranty.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by RoundBox
The problem your having with your car is not a design defect, and thus they will not repair anything. I've been in a customer service dept for an auto company and damage is not covered under warranty.
I contend that it is a design defect (or at best a design consideration for cost) for this reason: The plastic piece that extends across the front-end is not designed to pass over a small obstacle such as a parking bumper without damage. A car manufacturer should certainly be aware of this type of situation since it occurs on a daily basis with millions of cars.

The bottom line here is cost. Scions are priced low to attract a certain target market, so considerations for damage such as this are not on their agenda.

For example, you take a basic Honda and turn it into a Lexus. More protection is added, insulation is added, and the undercarriage is cleaned up: closing openings etc. to improve gas mileage, among others.

What is too sad in this situationis is that it costs Scion pennies to construct this the proper way so customers are satisfied with the quality of workmanship. I guess thoses pennies add up to millions for Scion.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

This is a prime example of one of the biggest problems in this country today; people not accepting responsibility for their own actions. They made the car to the specs required by law and what they thought was appropriate for the functionality of the car. Once you buy it, it is your responsibility to take care of it. They can't accomodate every possible thing you might run into. The last time I checked there aren't very many parts of a car that will readily survive being crushed against a nice solid piece of concrete.

If you are handicapped and can't judge distance well, maybe we should be discussing whether you should be allowed to drive, not whether you car can withstand your lack of driving skill. If you know you have a deficiency driving and the government sees fit to allow you to drive maybe you should pick a vehicle that fits your driving style like a truck.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good luck turning a honda into a LEXUS LOL LOL
Old 11-08-2008, 02:53 PM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

park a couple inches from the concrete parking stumps so that nothing gets caught.

IF YOU DID THIS THEN YOU WOULDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM! Why on Earth do you need to park over the parking bumper?
Old 11-08-2008, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by chadfo
This is a prime example of one of the biggest problems in this country today; people not accepting responsibility for their own actions. They made the car to the specs required by law and what they thought was appropriate for the functionality of the car. Once you buy it, it is your responsibility to take care of it. They can't accomodate every possible thing you might run into. The last time I checked there aren't very many parts of a car that will readily survive being crushed against a nice solid piece of concrete.

If you are handicapped and can't judge distance well, maybe we should be discussing whether you should be allowed to drive, not whether you car can withstand your lack of driving skill. If you know you have a deficiency driving and the government sees fit to allow you to drive maybe you should pick a vehicle that fits your driving style like a truck.
I bow to your superior knowledge. That said, a personal attack assessing my ability to drive is not your responsibility nor comment. What IS important here is that I operate a Mitsubishi multi-engine turbine aircraft for a living when I am not writhing about with concrete bumpers. What started this thread concerning the lackadaisical customer service treatment by Scion has devolved into this exchange.

Because of poor design by Scion, my assaults against concrete bumpers held harmless from my front end will likely continue unabated despite your unending advice and encyclopedic knowledge of such things. One thing that won't continue, thank heavens, is this thread. See ya.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Take it for what it's worth. You are the one who state you are handicapped. I simply stated my opinion. I admit it would have been in better taste not to have added the loser emoticon but that was because of my mood last night when I posted. For that I apologize.

There are many many cases where Scion has provided top notch customer service. They offered to replace my windshield when I had a crack mysteriously appear a few weeks after buying my XB2. My best guess regarding the response you received is that they view this the same as I and others that have posted in this thread.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by chadfo
Take it for what it's worth. You are the one who state you are handicapped. I simply stated my opinion. I admit it would have been in better taste not to have added the loser emoticon but that was because of my mood last night when I posted. For that I apologize.

There are many many cases where Scion has provided top notch customer service. They offered to replace my windshield when I had a crack mysteriously appear a few weeks after buying my XB2. My best guess regarding the response you received is that they view this the same as I and others that have posted in this thread.

Thanks. I also realize Im not the easiest person to be around sometimes. (no rolling of anyones eyes here). I just kinda felt Scion blanked me out when I told them my problem.

Your advice about getting a truck was humorous because I also own a Ford 250. I got the Scion to make a short commute and came to really like it.

The parking problem has been solved. I make my girlfriend get out and check my driving. (just kidding) I like your site and will hang around. I will practice not being a PIA, but I cant always promise. /r
Old 11-09-2008, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, I love it when people park 3 ft or more from the end of a parking place so the rear of their car sticks out in the lot.

I too am disabled, but dont see how its scions fault or the curb contractor. True I like to park close to the curb as possible to make my car look smaller than it is, but I can guess curb height and if in doubt, slowly creep up on it til I hear a scrap, then stop immediately if so.

I work customer service and it use to be, if you screwed up, the company would repair, replace anyways. Now everone is tightening up. I work for a bank and we cant play with money or offer credits like phone companies can minutes. Sure we can send free checks, but many dont use them and if you threaten to go to another bank, its a non issue.

If a rep said the check would clear one date, we find its going to take longer, we arent giving you anything or for that matter making non existant money available til it clears the other banks federal reserve no matter how many supervisiors you ask for.

I think the xb2 is the best car yet they have designed. If you must park on the curb, maybe try a curb feeler from jcwhitney or one of those back up cams. Pepboys sells a complete kit for like 70 bucks.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:30 AM

I hit a big fat racoon and broke the center piece of my air dam and lower grill. I didn't feel the need to complain to Toyota, CUZ IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!!! Kinda like your enability to drive. It's not a design flaw.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:50 AM

The part is called the: "Transmission Under Cover (part#: 5145012010)" and is available from Toyota for $45. Why drive your car if it looks crappy.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:32 PM

no it's in the front, you know, part of the bumper cover? get some curb feelers non parking man
Old 12-16-2008, 11:47 PM
jct
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow ibtl
Old 12-17-2008, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Old 12-17-2008, 01:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I bottomed out the xb going into an LJS a few months ago, no damager. Seems hte front is lower and longer than my xa, so got to take driveways at an angle to avoid that. My xas air dam was all scratched up, however the silver streak color was the same as silver spray paint and a few squirts and it looked like new.

Quick Reply: Front Air Dam