Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

LEVEL OUT the XB?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 PM

Default LEVEL OUT the XB?!?!?

Is it possible to level out the overall stance of the XB?

In other words, is there a lowering spring for the rear only that will bring the back end down to the height of the front? I use my XB to haul my DJ equipment, which can be heavy depending on what I bring out. I am worried that if I lower it any more than where the front already stands, I'll be rubbing....which I DON'T want.

I have searched this board and others. All I could come up w' are answers for the 1st generation XBs. Thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The rear wheel arches sit about 1.5" higher in the rear than the front. TRD rear springs have a 1.5" drop and are a little stiffer than OEM rear springs. If you look around you can probably find somebody selling a used full set for a good deal, and throw on the rear springs only. Eibach ProKit rear springs have a 1.2" rear drop, but far far fewer people get these springs than those who get the TRD's then decide they would like to go lower later.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eibach Sportline's give a 2.2" rear drop and a 1.2" front drop. It literally looks perfectly equal. They are firm, also. I also forgot to add that regardless of who I have in the car, fat or skinny... or just a bunch of stuff.. the rears will decline the same as the front, regardless of where the weight is. It becomes evenly distributed, once you add "X" amount of weight (one fat person in the back), and then you add "Y" amount of weight (another fat person), the springs get ridiculously stiff... They are excellent.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:37 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by CIONIDE
The rear wheel arches sit about 1.5" higher in the rear than the front. TRD rear springs have a 1.5" drop and are a little stiffer than OEM rear springs. If you look around you can probably find somebody selling a used full set for a good deal, and throw on the rear springs only. Eibach ProKit rear springs have a 1.2" rear drop, but far far fewer people get these springs than those who get the TRD's then decide they would like to go lower later.
Another problem solved by CIONIDE....
Old 04-16-2012, 04:00 AM

Thanks, Y'all, this is DEFINITELY on my "to do" list, and this info just helped tremendously!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Shadezz
Another problem solved by CIONIDE....
Here to help.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 AM

The rear wheel arches sit about 1.5" higher in the rear than the front.
Especially this bit of info. I had no idea what the "exact" difference there was from the front to back. That makes decision making much, much easier ;)
Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM

I actually just bought a used set of Eibach ProKit springs from nogarb6 here on scionlife (thanks Joe!). I'm planning on installing just the rear springs, so I'll post up some pics as soon as I get it done.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:06 PM

nice. yeah, I would like to see what it looks like.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

2008-2012 Scion xB - "Air Lift 1000" Air Helper Spring Kit (Rear) - Air Lift 60823 under $100 bucks

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/60823-scion-xb.html

Add 1,000 lbs. level load capacity with adjustable air springs for hauling or towing!!!
Air Lift # 60823 "Air Lift 1000" air bag helper springs keep your Scion xB level and riding comfortably when hauling or towing. These totally adjustable air springs mount inside the existing coil spring of your Scion xB to provide load control through the use of air pressure. Rated at 1,000 lbs for additional level suspension load capacity. All Air Lift air bag helper springs are custom fit for a simple bolt-on installation. An optional air control kit (air compressor kit) can be added (not required) for additional convenience.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Didn't someone use xb1 rear springs on an xb2 to level it out? Don't remember for sure but it rings a bell for some reason...
Old 04-18-2012, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scream
Didn't someone use xb1 rear springs on an xb2 to level it out? Don't remember for sure but it rings a bell for some reason...
Yea, Cory James did it, but I don't recommend running rear springs from a car that weighs 600 pounds less. Might not be too dangerous when empty, but definitely not a good idea when loaded with passengers and/or cargo.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM

So, I installed the ProKit rear springs today. Took me all of 20 minutes; love working on the box! Here are a few crappy cell phone pics. I think it looks pretty good, but now with the wheel closer to the top of the fender, it really accentuates how far IN the wheel sits. Time for some 20 MM spacers out back - and wheels, of course!
Attached Thumbnails LEVEL OUT the XB?!?!?-xb-before-rear-springs.jpg   LEVEL OUT the XB?!?!?-xb-after-rear-springs.jpg  
Old 06-09-2012, 11:33 PM

How was your camber after doing this? I just bought an 08 and want to level mine out as well. I just need to know if I need to fix the camber afterwards or not.

Thanks in advance
Old 06-09-2012, 11:44 PM

Nevermind... I just went out and looked at it. It won't need a camber kit. Is it really as easy as just dropping the strut bolts out and replacing the springs?
Old 06-10-2012, 12:33 AM

Yep, it's pretty much that simple. Here are all the steps:

1) Jack up the rear and put it on jackstands (on the "frame", so the rear suspension is free to extend)

2) Put a jack under one side of the torsion beam and put just a little pressure on it.

3) Remove the lower shock bolt on that side.

4) Drop the jack down until that side of the suspension is at full extension.

5) Pull out the old spring and transfer the rubber isolators to the new spring (the lower isolator may stay on the torsion beam, which is fine; just leave it there).

6) Install the new spring and raise the jack until you can reinstall the lower shock bolt.

7) Drop the jack down and repeat on the other side.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:41 AM

Dang, that will be cake... I found on ebay that a company is selling just the rear trd springs for $117 shipped. I think I will go ahead and buy them.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Malicoat57
Dang, that will be cake... I found on ebay that a company is selling just the rear trd springs for $117 shipped. I think I will go ahead and buy them.
The only thing that worries me about the TRD rear springs is the 1.5 inch drop. The Eibach Pro Kit springs I'm using have a 1.2 inch rear drop and it has the car sitting VERY level. I'm wondering if the extra .3 inches might cause it to sit TOO low in the rear.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

When I measured from the ground to the center of the fender arches on my 2008 xB, the rears where exactly 1.5" higher than the front. Measure for yourself, but I think the TRD rear springs should get it perfectly level.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:54 PM

When I measured from the ground to the center of the fender arches on my 2008 xB, the rears where exactly 1.5" higher than the front. Measure for yourself, but I think the TRD rear springs should get it perfectly level.
Cionide, I'm sure you're right about the measurements of the fender arches; I was just going by my overall visual impression of my xB (a 2012) after installing the 1.2" drop rear springs. I think the impression of it being level at this height comes more from the rocker panels than the fender arches. I haven't measured them, but they look perfectly level with the 1.2" rear drop.
Also, if I load anything substantial in the back (which I do 5 days a week), it makes the rear appear (at least to me) to be lower than the front. Just my $.02

Quick Reply: LEVEL OUT the XB?!?!?