Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

New car

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:34 AM

Default New car

alright this is the first car i have ever gotten ( just got my license) and I'm pretty stoked about it.
I love this car but i have nothing added on to it. I want to trick it out but to be honest i have no idea how the hell to do it or what to begin with. If you guys could give me some tips that would be sweet
Old 01-09-2008, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

congrats. My advice is to read, do research, look at what others have done and then decide for yourself. Your car is an extension of you. According to stats I read from SEMA the most common upgrades are wheels & tires, followed by stereo. Me, I like a little bit of it all, a little show, a little go all with high quality parts and a bit of uniqueness and rarity. Also, why are you 20 and just getting your license?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:52 AM
SL Member

+1 for reading the site and any other info you can get your hands on. Then decide for yourself what direction you want to go in.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

congrats on the license and car and welcome to ScionLife.
To start you off, i'd go browse some of the galleries and general threads where people show off their latest mods and rides to get an idea of what you like personally. from there, you can look start to get a feel for what direction you might want to take your ride. some people like all show, some people like all go, and most like a good dose of both.
for the XB2 crowd, lots of new parts are coming out from the aftermarket. wheels and tires are now very easily accessible, as you guys have the 5 lug pattern.
a lot of people also like to start off with window tints and HIDs. exhaust or intake might be the next logical step if you want to do some performance related mods. other people may upgrade the headunit and audio components in the car.

whatever you like, you'll find that a lot of mods done on here to "trick out" cars are unique, creative things.

welcome.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:16 AM

thanks guys! im actually 16 i just rushed the info part on signing up.. my bad..
i really like the "show" kind of stuff like window tint, different wheels, spoilers, ect. Ive got some money saved up but the problem is i have no idea where to buy this stuff ... should i buy online and let some auto shop put it on for me or what?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^ for tint, go to a reputable, quality shop to get it done. the type of tint and the quality of work matters. you don't want the purple stuff that fades and peels and cracks.

as for wheels and simpler mods, it's always good to do them yourself ( you save money, you learn more about your ride, and you get satisfaction knowing you did the work yourself). for the more involved things, such as maybe a turbo system or a header install or maybe even springs, most would recommend taking it to a good performance shop for installation.

to actually buy this stuff, look in the classifieds section here, where members sell their used parts, or the sponsored sales section (under classifieds), where companies sell new parts at discounted prices since you're on ScionLife.

it always helps to ask around and doing research on these things before you buy. just a hint. people may have connections or might know of a place to get a better price or better service.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:23 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Congrats on the new car! Good luck modding and enjoy the site!!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats! and welcome to SL!
Old 01-09-2008, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Welcome to the site. Glad to have another 16 year old around, although I drive a 1st gen xb. Congrats on the car and your license. I know the license test can be a bit scary, but when you pass, its an awesome feeling. Hope you stick around.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Congrats on the license! 16 here too and I just got mine in October and I know how you must feel, pretty damn good! I went directly to the dealer from the DMV and got my new xB2 and I love it! I just added some subs in the back and it kicks. But if I were you and IF I had the money, I would go with some nice rims first. New rims really changes the appearance of your car and it makes it unique as well! But keep your eyes open and explore the many possibilities there are when it comes to Scion and customization.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
MN Scions

Yea, if possible invest in some rims
Old 01-09-2008, 06:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

to-b

i would suggest spend a day or more looking at all the other rides here on the forums and look at what you want yours to look like. then spend some more time reading rules and regulations for your state you live in. once you know what you can do with your XB . make a list of the most important mods you want to put on them. go out and look at prices of all the stuff. check sales call around to local shops. now on this list mark the ones you think you want to do first. windows are for the most part have a tint to them. so tinting them more might be a lower priority. but like most have said rims and tires would add a fresher look to your box. but also show the list to your parents and ask them what they think. heck your parents might think it is cool you ask them.

now this is my suggestion to you. if your planning a stereo system in your XB. i would suggest an alarm first. next door nieghbor kid was at school when his car got busted into. he had somewhat of a good system in it. well what he could afford. but with some schools they have security roaming the campus.

ok above i mentioned knowing the rules and regs of your state here is why. somestates will not allow you to tint your windows more then a certian %. other things to consider is that if you put a turbo (none for XB 2nd gen as of yet that i know of. but most are hoping and praying) can be illegal do to smog equipment. would hate to see you spend 6g on a turbo kit or 250 some odd dollars on tint just to have to undo them.

also one major thing is that you need to keep all your reciepts of the mods you buy incase of loss of vehicle or car is totaled. let your insurance know if you add anything new. this is more to cover your rear end and not lose money.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:58 PM

thanks guys, i really appreciate it! I bought some new alpine speakers
about a month ago, i guess i should've saved my money now that i realize some new rims would be my first priority cause they look tight. thanks again
Old 01-09-2008, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, personally I am waiting to get my hands on some of Five Axis AD rims. Those are going to look HOT on the new xB! Might want to check those out.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/11/02/s...-wheel-lineup/
Old 01-10-2008, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by fuqua
congrats. My advice is to read, do research, look at what others have done and then decide for yourself. Your car is an extension of you. According to stats I read from SEMA the most common upgrades are wheels & tires, followed by stereo. Me, I like a little bit of it all, a little show, a little go all with high quality parts and a bit of uniqueness and rarity. Also, why are you 20 and just getting your license?
What he said do some research, check out other mods and tutorials. One thing i learned with my first car is dont tear apart what you cant put back together or dont know how. Although you learn from your mistakes, now i can take apart my vw bug 100% and put it back together. Just start with the small things and work your way up.

BTW is there any other vw owners on this forum? , iv got a 69 hardtop, 66 Hardtop, and a 67 Baja.