Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Override button hole question.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:25 AM

Question Override button hole question.

Hello. I am new to the group, and I just purchased a 2015 Scion xB.

As I try to get familiar with my car, I will try to find answers in this forum.

Right now, my first question is does anyone know what a P.D.S. operation is? I see that there is a tiny plastic covering cap that appears to be missing from the gearshift cover of my console. Upon looking in the glove compartment, there was a small plastic bag containing a plastic cap that looks like it would cover the hole on the gearshift cover. There is also an insert in the small plastic bag that states:

IMPORTANT TO DEALER

Properly fit this cover into the shift lock override button hole during P.D.S. Operation.

This cover is required by law under regulation FMVSS NO. 114

Remove this label on completion of work.

So I am wondering what is a P.D.S. operation, and will it hurt anything if I install this plastic cap over the override button hole, so that the gearshift cover looks cleaner or will doing this cause some interference with the transmission operation?

I have purchased brand new cars with an automatic transmission for over 30 years, but thus far I have never seen a hole on the gearshift cover with a missing cap cover put in a separate plastic bag with instructions for the dealer.

Help!
Old 09-15-2015, 04:36 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thumbs up

I believe it stands for, Pre Delivery Service.
The cap should have been installed by the dealer prior to sale. Obviously, they didn't do a very good prep job.
Was the plastic bags still on the seats with a label stating, "To be removed by dealer"?

Go ahead and install it, thats what its for.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

^^Yep. what he said.

They did the same thing on my xB too. difference was, mine didn't have the bag still in the glovey.

We call them PDI's or Pre-delivery inspections, but Pre-delivery service is what toyota calls it. Either way, sounds like we both had the same step skipped by someone who was in too big of a hurry to do the job right. :/
Old 09-24-2015, 01:09 PM

Thank you RicRat. I greatly appreciate your help. Since I brought my xB on Saturday morning during the Labor Day weekend, I guess the prep people got very busy, due to the higher volume of customers buying cars due to the typical busy weekend, and due to the Labor Day / year end deals. After agreeing to buy the car and getting my final paperwork from the finance guy, that only took about 1 hour and 15 minutes (I paid cash for the car, otherwise it would have taken a lot longer I am sure getting suitable financing and getting out of the finance office), but for some reason I would guess that it took almost 2 hours for the vehicle prep work (on the garage/service department’s end) . . . but I am not sure what type of backlog of cars they had to prep between the time I agreed to buy the car and until the salesman gave me the owner’s manual and went over the basics of the car, once he got it from the garage/service department folks. However when the salesman delivered the car to me, the car was freshly washed, detailed inside and out. They even filled up the gas tank, which I had never had happen before, because whenever I have purchased new vehicles in the past, I always drove off the dealer’s lot with just gas fumes in the tank. Yet it was GREAT to drive off the dealer's lot with a full tank of gas. However, even at the time of my test drive, the dealer did not have plastic bags on the seats . . . I know what you are talking about, however out of all of the brand new cars I looked at and test drove during the past 4 months, none of them had those plastic bags on the seat.

Now before my reply gets any longer, the bottom line is, I installed the cap on my gearshift cover, and all is still good.

HateNFate, at least I feel better (now) that I was not the only one that happened to. LOL!!!