Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Plasti-dipped some Euro racing stripes - '11 xB

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 06:18 PM

Default Plasti-dipped some Euro racing stripes - '11 xB

First time messing around with plasti-dip. Came out pretty good I think.

I may do the rims and side mirrors next.

Plasti-dipped some Euro racing stripes - '11 xB-dsc01126a.jpg

Plasti-dipped some Euro racing stripes - '11 xB-dsc01128a.jpg

Last edited by MR_LUV; 02-27-2018 at 04:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-27-2013, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That looks great I am considering doing something similar what tape did you use to tape it off and how long did you let it dry before you removed the tape?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while cruising the xB
Old 05-27-2013, 10:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

at first, reading the topic thread i was thinkin. oh no.... but then i opened it up and i was suprised came VERY WELL!!!! im impressed and i LOVE IT!

i feel you should do the roof to. and im wanting to know exactly what miloxb is asking....
Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by miloxb
That looks great I am considering doing something similar what tape did you use to tape it off and how long did you let it dry before you removed the tape?
For the lines, I used blue painters tape. I didn't let the Plasti-Dip (PD) dry at all. I watched a video from "Dip Your Car" on YouTube, and he explained the trick to get good lines without pulling up the PD.

Basically, tape off the entire area to prevent over spray. Lastly, put down your blue painters tape exactly where you want the lines to be. Leave yourself a little "tab" at the end of the blue tape so that you can pull it off easily. Then, spray your plasti-dip in nice, even sprays to get the equivalent of 4 or 5 coats on there (without letting it dry). When doing this, you have to be VERY careful to avoid runs and bubbles. It took me about 1 to 2 minutes to spray the surface (I only did one line at a time). Then, before the PD dries, pull the blue tape up with the tab I mentioned. While pulling off the blue tape, do NOT pull it straight up (90 degree angle from the surface of the car)...you need to pull it off at a very sharp angle, down and away from the PD. It is kind of hard to explain in text...so there is a link below to the video that explained it for me.

Also...don't do it in weather that is too hot. The PD will dry too fast and cause issues. Hope this helps, and I'm glad you like it!

Old 05-28-2013, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Brilliant that's exactly what I was looking for and your description was spot on as well. Well done sir well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while cruising the xB
Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

REDACTED

Last edited by pyroman131; 07-21-2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by pyroman131
In those pictures it looks like you did a little something on your rocker panels there, too! Did you PlastiDip those, too?
Oh...yeah. That is plasti-dip also. I'll post a better picture of them (from the side) in a few.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 PM

Looks good. I have been thinking about doing a race stripe from end to end on mine.

Did you use rattle can? I was trying to think how to get high enough and have a good angle of spray while doing this. Especially on the roof.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by MaxTwelve
Looks good. I have been thinking about doing a race stripe from end to end on mine.

Did you use rattle can? I was trying to think how to get high enough and have a good angle of spray while doing this. Especially on the roof.
I don't know what a rattle can is...I'm guessing you mean the typical spray paint can that has the ball inside of it that you shake up? If so, then yes I used a rattle can...haha
Old 05-31-2013, 03:09 AM

Yes that is what I meant.

I have an idea for a stripe composed of smaller elements. I just have to figure out a stencil material I can apply to the paint and not cause any problems. Obviously I cannot tape it and then cut out from that.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:22 PM

I did this on my xb before seeing this thread. After about several months it began to get some worn edges so I decided to peel it off. A discoloration remained even after I used a cutting compound and wax. I love the look though.