Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Purple gauges?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:54 AM

Default Purple gauges?

Just out of curiosity, has anybody experimented with purple/uv LEDs for the gauge cluster?

Just wondering, since my underdash/seat and underbody LEDs are all purple. But I think they might not be bright enough, and if I did that I'd also have to replace the LEDs in the premium HU to be uniform.

I'm probably just going to do blue, though. Just thought I'd ask =P
Old 04-18-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm, i dont think they'd shine through very well but then again, do you really need do know how fast you're going. nah

do it, it sounds like a good idea. i've thought about doing it pink but that would mean replacing everything else to match
Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ i agree i think that the UV/purple have a too low of a visible lumen to shine through the numbers and needles. it may work for the speedo/clock but at night the numbers/fuel/temp wont light up as much.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:23 PM

yea, thats what i was thinking. and my bad for posting this in the aero and exterior. i lose track of my tabs sometimes.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if you really waned purple........ I would go for it.... make yourself up a custom gauge face using UNITY303 template..... using a pastel pruple color for the backround & white for the letters, numerals & hash marks & circles.. print it up on white photp paper & install it over the purple plccs that you swap. (take out your stock gauge face). 15 of them... try it.. you'll be suprised at the results & mabey even like it.. if not, then go back & put your stock gause face back in... We'd have no way of know ing what it would look like, it would only be a guess.. BUT.. YOU could acytually do it & show us..... remember it's completely reversable....... take it back to stock if you dont like it.. jh
Old 04-18-2008, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Revolt Imports
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Do purple gauge plate if you wanted purple, but UV LED's would hurt your eyes if you look at them for long periods of time.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbbox
Do purple gauge plate if you wanted purple, but UV LED's would hurt your eyes if you look at them for long periods of time.
xxboxx. you really wouldnt be looking at the bare bulb now.... What light he will be seeing will be filtered... the plccs are going to be covered by the printed paper & the diffusers underneath the face.. even the lcd screen have a diffuser not to mention the screen too which is tinted to an extent... I say he should get both......... do say the bottom half in UV & the top half in pruple..... then test...... you can test this stuff anytime....... does anyone even sell U/V plccs??? you know if he orders them form HJJK lamps from Hong Kong........ they are way cheap enough for him to order both pruple & U/V (if he can find them).. I say good luck to him & be sure to post pictures!!!!! jh

PS.. I dont see purple or U/V plccs on E-Bay or Ozinum.. good luck finding them
Old 04-18-2008, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

umm, instead of running off to ebay etc... why not go to an electronics component distributor? Most deal in single and bulk quantities.

Try
www.digikey.com
www.mouser.com
www.newark.com
Old 04-26-2008, 04:51 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xbbox
Uh, what? I had purple led's in my 1st gen xb and had no problems seeing the gauge or hurting my eyes. Just dont try to put a resistor on it to up the light output, you'll set ish on fire, trust me.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm in the process of doing this exact thing, actually. Just gotta find the time to take out the speedo and solder the new lights in.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by detroitbassxb
I'm in the process of doing this exact thing, actually. Just gotta find the time to take out the speedo and solder the new lights in.
do it now, you'll be done and reinstalled in under and hour (and that's going slow)
Old 04-28-2008, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I did it today. The UV PLCC's look pretty darn good. They don't hurt your eyes at all, and light up everything the perfect amount. I ordered mine on eBay. Mine are purple but def have a blue tint to them. The picture makes it look REALLY blue, especially compared to the turn signals and the headlight signal.

Also, I have a brand new set of these purple gauges for sale if anyone is interested:
http://www.customxbgauges.com/index....oducts_id=1027
Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

you ordered them from my guy jeledhk on ebay. great guy great stuff!! awsome. Supa lets play with resistors again!!! LOL
Old 04-28-2008, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what about the speedo and the other gauges? they still look orange.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Defined3
SL Member

the speedo will always have the orange unless you get face plate that's white.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by randomsuper
So did you really put the UV ones (2 per needle) above & below the needle stumps?? That's looks cool!!! jh
Old 04-29-2008, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jimmbomb
Originally Posted by randomsuper
So did you really put the UV ones (2 per needle) above & below the needle stumps?? That's looks cool!!! jh
No, I haven't changed those yet. The only UV ones I did were the speedo and clock, and the turn signals and lights on light. I am putting in a new gauge face and changing the ones behind the gauges shortly.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AAAAaaaaahhhhhh hhhaaaaaaaaaa// cool......... we want to see DAY & NITE pictures when you get it re-assembled & lit!!!! thanks for clarifying what the pics depict!!!... jh
Old 05-03-2008, 10:01 PM

I'd also like to see more pictures. I know that they tend to make them look blue in pictures because I've tried to snap a few of my underbodies, etc. The only real problem i see with the purple gauges is changing out all the bulbs in the premium HU... i'd want them to match.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:16 PM

I'd also like to see more pictures. I know that they tend to make them look blue in pictures because I've tried to snap a few of my underbodies, etc. The only real problem i see with the purple gauges is changing out all the bulbs in the premium HU... i'd want them to match.

Quick Reply: Purple gauges?