Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Review of genuine Toyota Rumion Vent Visors

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Review of genuine Toyota Rumion Vent Visors

So, after returning a set of AVS Seamless Low Profile vent visors ($98 + shipping) for out-of-the-box surface scratches, rough cut edges and shallow/flimsy depth profile, I bit the bullit and ordered a set of genuine japanese Toyota Rumion units from Nigel-JDM.com ($258.95 including USPS Priority shipping instock from Kali).

While arriving in a package cobbled together from 3 Flat Rate boxes, everything inside was protected in individual bubble envelopes, bagged and securely taped. Now, the instructions are only in Japanese but you can follow the excellent step-by-step illustrated drawings. Quality is head-&-shoulders above anything I've seen domestically: very scratch resistant, all edges polished, and continuous double-sided automotive tape. And the visors are actually two-tone: solid gloss black along the top edges were they run along the door frame, then lightly smoked below in the window/sight-line.
Name:  RumionVentvisors1.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  67.9 KB

The countour that meets the mirror is perfectly formed, foam-lined and has a internal clip that holds under the mirror housing.
Name:  RumionVentvisor2.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  69.4 KB
Name:  RumionVentvisor3.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  62.3 KB

Attachment via the tape (if it isn't 3M, it sticks/holds just as securely) is easy and then you insert a set of clips, 2 per visor piece, that readily fit under the window frame edge inside the weather-stripping and snap into the visor's inside-face "brackets". It's hard to describe, but easy to install and even more securely holds the center portion of the visors.
Name:  RumionVentvisor4.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  72.0 KB
Name:  RumionVentvisor5.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  76.7 KB

And voila!...
Name:  RumionVentvisor6.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  92.1 KB
Name:  MyToaster.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  85.0 KB

And I couldn't be happier! You get what you pay for...
Hope the details in this review helps those internet shopping.

Last edited by GDubya; 03-25-2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:02 PM
5 Year Member

whats the web site?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

they look pretty sick! i would like to get some eventually, but the price is pretty steep for me at this point.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gorilla369
whats the web site?
http://www.nigel-jdmparts.com/Toyota...ion-xB-2nd-Gen
Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by 2011xb4me
they look pretty sick! i would like to get some eventually, but the price is pretty steep for me at this point.
Yeah, they are a little nicer than the ones I put on my '09 RS_6.0.
However, mine fit just about as good, and cost me a helluva lot less money.......

http://www.speed-element.com/servlet...-visors/Detail
Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree these genuine Toyota versions are way more than I've paid for vent visors in the past. But the quality is really impressive and I like the way the lower border tint is much lighter, avoiding the additional thickness appearance that most regular ventvisors add to your A-pillar, especially at night if you have heavier driver/passenger window tint (mine's 20%T).

Hey, if the knock offs make your budget, by all means go that route. Cost-to-wants are relative; just look at what some folks pay for wheels.
I was disappointed by the quality issues of the AVS/Lunds Seamless but some folks just love their low profile (~1/4" off the closed widow glass).
I also wanted to let folks know that you didn't have to pay Carson's (newscionparts.com) $312.50 + shipping price + wait for JDM.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by risquedj
Yeah, they are a little nicer than the ones I put on my '09 RS_6.0.
However, mine fit just about as good, and cost me a helluva lot less money.......

http://www.speed-element.com/servlet...-visors/Detail

Hows the quality for this?
$39.95 with free shipping... undoubtedly thats a good deal.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by kyleee
Hows the quality for this?
$39.95 with free shipping... undoubtedly thats a good deal.
Obviously, I cannot compare them to the OEM ones that GDubya has, but as far as others I have purchased in the past, I would rate them fairly well. Half of getting a good fit is knowing how to properly install them. Honestly, even though I have the budget, anything over $100 for visors seems like a waste of money to me. But to each their own ;)
Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Obviously, I cannot compare them to the OEM ones that GDubya has, but as far as others I have purchased in the past, I would rate them fairly well. Half of getting a good fit is knowing how to properly install them. Honestly, even though I have the budget, anything over $100 for visors seems like a waste of money to me. But to each their own ;)
I have the same Rumion knock-offs from Speed Element and no matter how good anyone is at installing them, they will never fit as well as the oem Rumion visors. Having said that, the knock-offs do look and fit pretty good and are dirt cheap. I'd gladly pay 2-3x as much for the far superior Rumion visors but not 6x as much.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:21 PM

I'd gladly pay 2-3x as much for the far superior Rumion visors but not 6x as much.
If I could get those OEM Rumion Visors for, as you said, 3X = ($120), I would gladly pay the premium over what I currently have. But to pay upwards to $300.....I don't care how perfect they fit, that's just crazy - ::to me::
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I could get those OEM Rumion Visors for, as you said, 3X = ...
Yes, my brain values about the same. I recall paying $50-60 for my last WeaterTech visors almost 10 years and didn't flinch at $98 for the AVS Seamless because they looked cool. But their quality didn't match even the WeatherTechs (which had some burred edges), so 2.5x didn't seem too bad for JDM...

Again, this post is intented to provide first hand details about what's available to those shopping.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If I could get those OEM Rumion Visors for, as you said, 3X = ($120), I would gladly pay the premium over what I currently have. But to pay upwards to $300.....I don't care how perfect they fit, that's just crazy - ::to me::

I hear ya... I too couldn't bring myself to pay $260 for perfect visors when pretty good knock-off visors can be had for only $40. I do admire GDubya for getting the best, regardless of cost much like the guy who buys a Lexus LFA instead of the almost-as-good-but-cheaper Nissan GTR.

Still, he was a horrible president...

Originally Posted by GDubya
Yes, my brain values about the same. I recall paying $50-60 for my last WeaterTech visors almost 10 years and didn't flinch at $98 for the AVS Seamless because they looked cool. But their quality didn't match even the WeatherTechs (which had some burred edges), so 2.5x didn't seem too bad for JDM...

Again, this post is intented to provide first hand details about what's available to those shopping.

I can't comment on the quality of Weathertech or AVS visors but the overall quality of the Rumion Knock-offs from Speed Element is pretty decent despite a fitment issue at the front edge of the front window visors where they meet the mirror base. I've had mine for about 3 years now and they are still holding up well despite the tape coming loose at the ends. I'm probably going to replace them soon and TBH, as much as I'd love to get the Rumion visors, I'll probably get another set of knock-offs which will last until I replace the XB. But that's just cheapskate me. Kudos to you for buying the best and I am a little jealous...
Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

kyleee thanks for the tip for the $39.00 vent visors,great deal
Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by griecos_xb
kyleee thanks for the tip for the $39.00 vent visors,great deal
SMH
Old 04-04-2012, 02:56 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

nothing beats OEM .... those knock offs fit like crap.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by eight08customs
nothing beats OEM .... those knock offs fit like crap.
That's a bit harsh. I think that my knock-offs fit 75% as well as oem for only 15% of the cost. Most people wouldn't even notice the difference without close scrutiny.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Most people wouldn't even notice the difference without close scrutiny.
I concur.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:08 AM
5 Year Member

Anyone have better photos of the speed element ones?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:07 PM

Hope this link works...... it's pics of my Speed Element "knock-offs"

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150824823483055.472662.592293054&type=1#!/media/set/?set=a.10150824810673055.472658.592293054&type=3
Old 04-19-2012, 06:13 PM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the link! By the way how are those TYC's holding up? :D

Quick Reply: Review of genuine Toyota Rumion Vent Visors