Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

Wind noise around Side Mirror at Highway speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Wind noise around Side Mirror at Highway speeds?

I mentioned this in another topic, but no one else seems to be experiencing this. My question is:

Does the average 2008 xB owner find that, at highway speeds, loud wind noise becomes present, seemingly around the Side Mirror?

Yes or no?

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-02-2021 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: wind noise around side mirror at highway speeds?

No.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had that noise. so when i took an exit to take a look why it was making it. i noticed that under the front driver side bumber a lil plastic cover thing was loose and hanging down a lil. poped it back up and noise no more. hope this helps
Old 05-31-2008, 01:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

No noise here
Old 05-31-2008, 01:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

We haven't had any mirror noise either. Sorry. We have had a noise in the steering column.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

My Scion does make a noise from the steering column too. If I press down on the middle of the steering wheel (where the Scion logo is), it makes a really loud beeping sound. I mean LOUD, like drivers of other cars can hear it. I noticed this at a stop light where I kept trying it and the driver in the car in front of me gave me the finger.

Anybody else experienced this?
Old 06-03-2008, 01:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

so no one else has this, but the dealer cant fix it...

I am frustrated...
Old 06-03-2008, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tysscion
so no one else has this, but the dealer cant fix it...

I am frustrated...
Other than normal wind nose any car produces I haven't noticed any issues.

I suggest you take the time to really analyze the sound. Is it just wind or is something flapping in the wind? Is it a ratte or rub?

You also need to look everything over on the exterior to make sure nothing is loose and able to catch wind. Look at the underbody too to make sure nothing is wrong there.

Most times it is the burden of the car owner to figure out what is wrong as its hard for a dealer or mechanic to simulate these issues.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

well, I brought my car in this morning early for an appointment to have my dash rattle noise checked out, among a couple of other things. I am loving my Scion, but I am beginning to wonder if mine got put together shoddily No one else seems to have the issues I am having...

1. There is a rattly noise coming from somewhere above the glove box, in the dash. They are working on that at the dealership...

2. No one at all here has the significant wind noise that I am experiencing coming from around the drivers side mirror. It sounds like air is coming in somewhere, into the door frame...

3. Not nearly as big as the first two, but my back seat is rattling over bumps, the noise is coming from the latch.

No on on here has had these problems, and thus no one has a fix. These are not small annoyances, if I had known I would get these, I would have thought twice. I am gonna find out if they fixed any of it tomorrow, I hope...
Old 06-03-2008, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, I brought my car in this morning early for an appointment to have my dash rattle noise checked out, among a couple of other things. I am loving my Scion, but I am beginning to wonder if mine got put together shoddily No one else seems to have the issues I am having...

1. There is a rattly noise coming from somewhere above the glove box, in the dash. They are working on that at the dealership...

2. No one at all here has the significant wind noise that I am experiencing coming from around the drivers side mirror. It sounds like air is coming in somewhere, into the door frame...

3. Not nearly as big as the first two, but my back seat is rattling over bumps, the noise is coming from the latch.

No on on here has had these problems, and thus no one has a fix. These are not small annoyances, if I had known I would get these, I would have thought twice. I am gonna find out if they fixed any of it tomorrow, I hope...
Now my car did have a few mysterious rattles when it was brand new, but after a couple weeks they went away. I thought I had the dreaded A piller creek (only on very early production xB2's), but it seemed to go away too.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

well, I just got a weird phone call from the dealer. They said that guys from Toyota, from corporate in Japan, are going to be looking at my car tomorrow, and asking them to document every step in the fix of my dash noise. The guy I talked to at the dealership said he has worked for Toyota for 20 years and has never seen them come at this stage. So, apparently, the dash noise I am having is something that is either cropping up a lot, or something. just weird. So apparently it will be fixed by tomorrow. Anyone else had weird dash rattle noises from above the glove box? This is not the A-pillar noise, it is something else.

they said they have not even checked the wind noise thing out yet, I hope to god they can fix that...
Old 06-04-2008, 06:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

My mirros do the same but mine is caused by the cf mirror cover not fitting 100% properly. I am pretty sure that what you are experiencing is wind/air passing between a small opening of the mirror cover.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, I just got a weird phone call from the dealer. They said that guys from Toyota, from corporate in Japan, are going to be looking at my car tomorrow, and asking them to document every step in the fix of my dash noise. The guy I talked to at the dealership said he has worked for Toyota for 20 years and has never seen them come at this stage. So, apparently, the dash noise I am having is something that is either cropping up a lot, or something. just weird. So apparently it will be fixed by tomorrow. Anyone else had weird dash rattle noises from above the glove box? This is not the A-pillar noise, it is something else.

they said they have not even checked the wind noise thing out yet, I hope to god they can fix that...
The glove box noise you are describing could have been the noise I heard and thought was the A pillar. Luckily mine seemed to go away without issue after a week.

This is why you buy a Toyota. They are 100% focused on improving their vehicles all the time. It never stops with them. They don't wait a full year to make changes, they make them ASAP. This is why they build the most reliable and best made vehicles.......period.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought I was experiencing some wind noise around my mirrors the past two days until I noticed something just didn't seem right. This weird noise was coming and going at different volume levels while I drove the same speed. It started to bug the crap out of me as I thought about this topic on the board here. Then I rolled the window down and it got even louder than before, and all of a sudden it hit me.....the 17 year cicadas are coming up and they are freeking loud!! I laughed at myself for a minute and thought I'd share it.
Old 06-21-2008, 02:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The more you fold your mirrors in and out the noise will increase..wind whistles over the small gap between the mirror and the arm...noise enineers work like crazy to minimize it but some cars just will make noise..try taping over that seam. Camry engineers gave up trying to quiet down that area which is why currentcamrys side mirrors do not fold. no gap. no wind noise.