Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2014 xB-Battery question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2014 xB-Battery question

Hey guys, I just got a 2014 xB with only 14K miles. The xB was babied and is very clean.

The xB is over 3 years old now, how long does the battery should last, or should I replace it now?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-11-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by blueboy
Hey guys, I just got a 2014 xB with only 14K miles. The xB was babied and is very clean. The xB is over 3 years old now, how long does the battery should last, or should I replace it now? Thanks in advance

A few factors here.
Part has to do with the condition and usage of your battery and load. Sort of like how long flashlight batteries last and what type. What is the existing condition of your battery? When was the last time it was thoroughly checked?
Do you have or use a lot of Audio or other equipment? How religious is your Maintenance schedule? What is your budget?

The Basic is to do a Visual Check of your battery and cables for corrosion, contact and tightness. When I buy a New Battery, I get the pair of Red and Green felt discs and use the Anti-Corrosion treatment. Some use a little petroleum jelly. I always check my cables for corrosion.

Generally Speaking your battery should last to it's Warranty (on the label). But, in the Real World it could go less then that. So you should change your battery earlier than that because you don't want to risk it dying on you.

Part has to do with your budget. Money is not an issue with me. So, I Change my battery Every 3 years whether it needs it or not, so I Know I have a good battery. So, if I have a 60-month (5 yr) battery, it should be pro-rated. I get roughly 2 years off the price of a New One.

That's my .02 cents.

MR_LUV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-11-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the input MR LUV.

I just added a subwoofer, portable satellite, dash camera and sometimes I also use a portable GPS.

I'll check the price for a battery at Costco and then the price at Toyota. Thanks for mentioning the pro rated price, I forgot about that.

Should I go with a decent battery from Costco or should I get the one from Toyota?

BTW, all the cables in the engine compartment are clean, they look new, under neat, and inside everything is clean.
You know that sometimes the dealership just wash the engine bay and add all that shiney crap. Not the case here. It seems that the car was garaged based on its condition.

The previous owner went crazy, they even added the leather seats with heat and even a lumbar support. Weathertechs, and more.

Anything else I should stay on top of as far as maintenance on the xB?

Thanks again

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-12-2017 at 06:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-12-2017, 06:48 AM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Personally, I would choose Costco over Toyota.

1. For a battery, you don't have make a Appointment or Go to Toyota Parts.
2. Just go inside the Costco Warehouse where all the batteries are kept. There is a Guide to find the right battery for your car. Example yours might be a J4. They have a handle. Just grab it, throw it in your cart.
Take it home or Install it yourself and next time your at Costco they accept the old battery or Pro-Rated if it was a Costco Battery. Or you can have their Auto Dept do it for you while you shop.
3. It would be hard for Toyota or other stores to beat their Prices. Avoid a cheap battery at Wal-Mart, K-Mart. Costco are Quality Batteries. I THINK there is a Free Exchange if it fails in the 1st year.
Check their Current Policy because they might have change Vendors. You cannot go wrong with Costco and they will honor the Replacement at any Costco location Nationwide.

Follow these 2014 xB Maintenance Guides:

http://www.driverside.com/service-sc...2110-1635440-0

https://www.manualslib.com/products/...b-3782558.html

It sounds like you got a Cherry Vehicle!

Enjoy

MR_LUV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-13-2017 at 06:04 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey, thanks for those two links, excellent info.
The battery is about is three years and nine months, almost four years old.
I read a bunch of info regarding the OEM battery and the pro-rated program, I found out that is not worth it. I read that you have to pay almost full price for the replacement.

Now, on the Costco battery, they are running Interstate and their warranty and exchange program covers three years. So I believe is the best.
I think I'm gonna go this route. Their price is about $84 and you gotta pay $15 refundable after you return the old battery.

I usually change the cabin filter once a year so I already ordered a two pack from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ52ISO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZ52ISO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And while browsing I also ordered a nice set of roof racks too ($67, a steal) I already own a Wind Fairing to fit with this type of rack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCLKHUE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BCLKHUE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-14-2017, 02:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Consumer reports does a pretty good job testing batteries. I particularly like their hot bath test, which simulates the heat from the engine for those cars that put the battery under the hood.
https://www.consumerreports.org/vide...ttery-testing/
Have to subscribe to see results and their indexing system needs work - can't find the article from our stack of magazines.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:46 PM

I have a 2014 Xb and it's got 85 k original miles., I'm looking to put an aftermarket locking Roof Rack then put a Basket...long one that will fit the whole roof of an Xb...any body have any specific where to get a quality rack and basket.,...
Old 08-08-2023, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
SuperMod

Originally Posted by 2014Scion777Xb
I have a 2014 Xb and it's got 85 k original miles., I'm looking to put an aftermarket locking Roof Rack then put a Basket...long one that will fit the whole roof of an Xb...any body have any specific where to get a quality rack and basket.,...
You'd probably have much better luck posting a separate thread about roof racks as opposed to posting it in a nearly 7 year old thread about batteries...given the title of the thread no one's going to randomly look at it and think, "I bet there's a roof rack question in there I can answer."