Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

2015 Scion xB Oil Consumption Dealer Excuses

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 03:30 PM
SL Member

Default 2015 Scion xB Oil Consumption Dealer Excuses

I have a 2015 Scion xB, Currently right at 50k mark. My car is consuming 2 quarts per oil change at the moment between oil changes. I change my own oil at 5,000 miles with Mobile 1 full synthetic: 0w 20.
I talked to a few service reps my local dealership and they tell me this is completely normal. I have owned many cars and nothing has been this thirsty.

What kind of reasons and excuses have you heard from your local dealer and how did you go about getting it dealt with?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-06-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Moderator
Old 04-08-2018, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have not had to deal with this issue yet. Our 2009 xB is also around 50K miles, but does not have an oil consumption problem. They did issue a warranty extension but that has passed.
One of the things I do while driving is try not to go over 4K rpm and over stress the engine. I have found that revving over 4k can lift the water pump seal and give that pink line under the hood.
Backing off on rpm and the seal holds. The pump has been fine since I backed off on rpm.

For the oil consumption, I have not seen what causes the issue, but I suspect the oil control rings on the pistons. How do they fix this at the dealership???

One thing of interest is the piston ring kits available thru aftermarket companies like rock auto https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...1442497,engine are they pointing toward the problem??
Are the rings failing from over stressing/revving?? Have the pistons been miss-machined in the oil ring area?? Are the inlet valve oil seals failing?? Is there something in the crankcase vapor vent system not working right??
Could be lots of things or a combination...

It is not normal and the car is not designed to loose all it's oil between oil changes. That is crap and something is wrong. I just want to know what it is so that if it happens to our car, I may be able to do something about it,
without dropping a couple of grand at a dealer.

If I had to guess, it could be the rings and you may be able to remove the head and sump pan, undo the con-rod bolts and push the piston-rod assy up above the cylinder head level and re-ring it.
If it's just the rings - but if it's something else????

Your 2015 is still under warranty right? They will do a test to see how much oil it burns and then either fix it or not, is what I heard.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-09-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There is a extended warranty TSB for the oil rings on the 2.4 L Toyota engine. They designed the rings wrong and they let too much oil blow by. The warranty is good for up to 150K miles or 10 years, which ever comes first. The car does have to loose at least 1qt in the first 1100 miles after a drain and refill by the dealer for it to be covered. I'm not sure if the '15 model is covered or not but you can run your VIN on Toyota's site to see if it covered. https://www.toyota.com/recall

Rich, you are still covered on the oil consumption TSB since you meet the mileage and age requirements but the problem usually doesn't appear until at least 60-80K miles so you probably won't have a problem until you are out of warranty with the low mileage you get. Also the 08-09 models had a TSB for the water pump seal. It's not the high revving that's a problem with your pump, it's actually the seal design. The original seal doesn't like the ultra long life pink coolant. The TSB for it is long done and over but at some point you will want to replace the water pump with the newer design.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the input Greg
Just ran my VIN on the site and no open safety recalls or service campains. Those silent recalls are really unhelpful. Specially as I don't like taking the car in for servicing (still a DIY guy where I can).
So do you know about the oil fix? Does Toyota replace the pistons and rings or just the rings?

I may have to bookmark that recall site... Just ran our Corolla thru it and there is a software update for the CVT. Perhaps that will fix the occasional problem with it.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-11-2018 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Corolla service campaign
Old 04-11-2018, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bare minimum is to replace the pistons and rings, more if other parts have worn due to oil starvation. I had piston and rings done, the rest was ok. They of course will recommend a bunch of other work, for mine it was a full work over of the valve train to get rid of the build up on it, but you can ignore it or have it done as you feel. I choose to ignore it as i have a built replacement block that will be getting put in hopefully soon so I wasn't going to waste the money.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by RichBinAZ
... Just ran our Corolla thru it and there is a software update for the CVT. Perhaps that will fix the occasional problem with it.
Just got back from the dealer and they suspended the silent recall. The letter doesn't say why, but the dealer thinks it may come back at the end of summer (just in case anyone has a CVT Corolla)

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-12-2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The Toyota warranty bulletin POL14-12, the revised version from 6-15-2015, lists ALL xB2's as covered under the excessive oil use problem. Of course, any powertrain warranty would come into play first, but there's additional coverage under the warranty enhancement. 10 years or 150k miles from the original sale date. Of course you have to fail the Toyota sealed engine test of a minimum use of one quart in no more than 1100 miles.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...58285-6224.pdf

Last edited by MR_LUV; 04-14-2018 at 04:05 PM.