Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

AEM vs. Fujita CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member

Default AEM vs. Fujita CAI

Both these look pretty much the same to me. I can pick up the Fujita for $50 less than the AEM. So I guess my question is, Is the AEM CAI Worth the extra $50?
Old 01-15-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
Fresh Crew
SL Member

$50 for .5hp. No.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have the fujita CAI on my car and I love it. Its alot louder then I expected though when the engine is in the higher rpm range. HAh its caused my mpg to drop as well because I love hearing it.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You can get that difference down to a little over $20 by shopping around. ultrarev.com
The AEM does come with an oil free filter that supposedly good for 99.4% filtration down 1 micron particle size.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, does the aem one come with a bypass valve?

and if the fujita intake for the xb2 is like the one for the tc, prepare for the extremely high probability of a CEL.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:33 AM
AAG
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Aww crap I was going to buy a fujita intake but what you just said is holding me back now. Why does it throw a CEL on the tc? I've been searching a bit about fujitas intakes on other vehicles and so far most people have good things to say about their quality over AEM & even some prefer it over Injen.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

don't know why, might be something to do with the fitting for the MAF sensor. or the position of the MAF sensor along the piping.

but seriously, get a bypass valve. i think the AEM one comes with one, but you can just buy an AEM bypass valve with whatever one your order.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've had my fujita for a month now or so... no CELs over here. I've actually probably put on about 1k miles since it going on. Install was easy, it said to remove the bumper but i managed to get it on with out doing so. I don't beieve the AEM comes with the bypass valve, none of the pictures show it and I don't recall reading it in the description.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The AEM doesn't come with a bypass valve. I don't think one would be needed in the gen 2 XB.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

meh, i just think cold air intakes should have a bypass valve just for alittle insurance. they aren't very expensive and much cheaper than fixing or replacing a hydrolocked engine.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

You'd have to submerge the front of the car for that to be an issue.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

people have already posted about how they managed to hydrolock their tc's with cai's installed, so it isn't impossible, and yeah, more than likely you should notice that the water is too deep to get through before you drive thru with the car, but it is possible, and this makes it somewhat less possible.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm only referring to the XB2. The area where the CAI goes into is very well protected.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member

You all have some very valid points. As for Hydrolock. There is quite a protected area in the lower part of the engine compartment next to the fender well. It stays rather dry in there. I plan on purchasing an AEM by pass valve as well.

I went ahead and ordered the fujita in the black wrinkled finish. Should be hear next weak.

Does anyone have a sound clip of a CIA on a Stock exhaust? If no, no biggie.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by toober75
You all have some very valid points. As for Hydrolock. There is quite a protected area in the lower part of the engine compartment next to the fender well. It stays rather dry in there. I plan on purchasing an AEM by pass valve as well.

I went ahead and ordered the fujita in the black wrinkled finish. Should be hear next weak.

Does anyone have a sound clip of a CIA on a Stock exhaust? If no, no biggie.
I think there's one on youtube... Search fujita and xb. You're bound to find it. It's a silver xB2 and it's on a dyno. I do believe it has stock exhaust.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chadfo
I'm only referring to the XB2. The area where the CAI goes into is very well protected.
yeah, the tc's is pretty well protected too, since it is inbetween the front bumper and the splash/gravel shield, there was evena post long ago by somebody who said "THE TC DOESN'T NEED A BYPASS VALVE, IT IS SO WELL PROTECTED" then somebody posted about how they hydrolocked their car going ove ra big puddle. pretty much shut him up. so yeah, hydrolock is alwasys a possibility.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I don't know if the Fujita intake uses an oiled filter or not, but if it does that could be a cause for the CEL. Sometimes if a filter is over-oiled, the oil can get on the MAF and cause it to not read or read wrong, tripping the CEL. This was a very common problem on VW's, happened to me once.

The hydrolock debate has been beat to death almost anytime CAI's are discussed. There's potential, but I've never met anyone that has had it happen. And I've known a lot of people with CAI's on their cars. I knew a guy that ran ducting from his throttle body straight down to the bumper with no filter at all, and he never had a problem. I know a guy that "cleaned" his filter by spraying the filter with the hose when he washed his car, never hydrolocked. I'm not saying it's impossible, but even in the crazy stupid setups/methods I've seen, it hasn't. As long as you pay attention and don't drive through several feet of water, the likelyhood that it will happen is pretty low. Just my opionion.