Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

CX-Racing header

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mustb3ds
NYORO

CANT SEE THAT A HEADER RESTRICTS ANYTHING BUT THE CAT AND THE SO CALLED SCUBA TANK, WHICH IS ACTUALLY A SECOND CAT DO 9/10 NTHS OF THE RESTRICTING
Take another look at the oem header. The head pipes are crush bent and crushed even more where they enter the restrictive cat/collector. Independent dyno testing of TC headers showed gains of 7-9whp and 5-6 ft/lbs torque. I'd love to see a scuba tank replacement yield the same results but I doubt I'll ever see that.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I forgot to add this in a previous post.

For what it's worth, I'm glad you've got the guts to try out a product that most people normally would not get. In a way, you're an innovator
Old 04-15-2009, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
There's nothing wrong with the CXR header the way it is now IMO. What they do is how they keep the costs down. If you want better quality, I feel that you should go elsewhere for it. I'm pretty sure it's so cheap because it's produced in large amounts very fast with a lot of cost cutting. Higher quality = much greater cost, IMO, for a mass produced product like this.
You may be right but I have a hard time believing that CXR is selling these headers in large quantities. There are very few google hits for 'CX Racing header'. My guess is cheap labor, cheap materials and the hope of climbing out of obscurity the way Strup and W-R did. According to some, Strup got their start by copying DC Sports and W-R stuff used to be crap.

For what it's worth, I'm glad you've got the guts to try out a product that most people normally would not get. In a way, you're an innovator
Thank you. My intentions really were twofold on this cheapo header purchase. If it worked out okay I saved ~$200 for other mods, if not, I only lost $135 and could probably recoup ~$100 on ebay. I enjoy tinkering with cars so the time involved was never a concern. So far it's working out fine. It's not a great header but it's not that bad either.
Old 04-15-2009, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by mustb3ds
boosty

no i dont have the header yet but im definately thinking about it
you have a better offer somewhere?
No, at first I thought you said you got a WR header for $110, then re-read your post and realized that was not what you stated. lol
Old 04-15-2009, 05:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
There's nothing wrong with the CXR header the way it is now IMO. What they do is how they keep the costs down. If you want better quality, I feel that you should go elsewhere for it. I'm pretty sure it's so cheap because it's produced in large amounts very fast with a lot of cost cutting. Higher quality = much greater cost, IMO, for a mass produced product like this.
You may be right but I have a hard time believing that CXR is selling these headers in large quantities. There are very few google hits for 'CX Racing header'. My guess is cheap labor, cheap materials and the hope of climbing out of obscurity the way Strup and W-R did. According to some, Strup got their start by copying DC Sports and W-R stuff used to be crap.

Thank you. My intentions really were twofold on this cheapo header purchase. If it worked out okay I saved ~$200 for other mods, if not, I only lost $135 and could probably recoup ~$100 on ebay. I enjoy tinkering with cars so the time involved was never a concern. So far it's working out fine. It's not a great header but it's not that bad either.
Good point about Strup and Weapon-R, haha. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

And I'm with you on the liking to tinker with cars and stuff. But I like things to be nice and perfect, which is why a CXR header wouldn't be good for me. If I ever got something like that, I'd have it coated and cleaned up immediately
Old 07-16-2009, 03:14 PM

I went ahead and also ordered me up one of these CXR headers. Looks identical to what was already posted on this forum on page 1 so there is no need for pics. Since I didn't care what kind of finish the pipes had when I was looking into headers for the xb, this one did fit the bill and also had that "plain" stainless finish that I believe helps keeps the cost down as well. I've had polished headers before and the shine lasts for about 3 days so the finish was not an issue. So I ordered some HP color wrap to match my "red" trd theme going on with my car and also to cover the plain dirty metal finish along with the ugly welds. I'm going to be installing the header tomorrow on my xb and will post some pics when its all done.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Cool! I hope you like it as much as I liked mine. It took some bending to get the bottom brackets to mount up but at least it has them, unlike Strup and W-R. The seat of my pants agrees with CXR's dyno claim of +5-7whp. Not as good as the ~10whp from Strup or W-R but for only $135, I'd buy them again.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:44 PM

Ok. So after a long days work and really looking forward to my header install I decided to it on a school night (last night). Everything went very smoothly except for one thing.....those darn mounting brackets I spent an hour and a half on the two mounting studs and still only came with one in...they were a pain in the **** since the metal was at least a 1/4" thick and it was strong. But besides that it ended up looking great. My dual exhaust is noticebly louder and it does have more power but nothing that will throw you back in your seat . Enjoy the pics!!

dirty stock engine bay with manifold, weapon r short ram intake, & trd strut bar
Name:  SNC10514.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  65.8 KB

manifold v.s. CXR header w/hp color wrap
Name:  SNC10517.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  113.9 KB

clean engine bay with header install after 3.5hrs of work......stupid bolts.
Name:  SNC10525-1.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  65.4 KB
Old 07-17-2009, 06:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Looks good! Better add some engine coolant.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so i'm real late on this. but after installing my catback and some heavy ___ rims. i want some more oohph to make up for that. Im assuming that this will kill my MPG as well since adding rims and exhaust took me down to about 22 from 27. Where did you get that color wrap? and to fred i think i PM ed you about this header any final reviews on it??
Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I sold my header but IMO it was decent enough for the money. CXR claims 5-7 whp and I see no reason to doubt that. Strup and W-R headers probably add about 10 whp but cost 2-3x as much and unless you get them ceramic coated, they all look the same after some miles.

As for fuel economy, a header and cat-back shouldn't reduce mpg but bigger heavier rims and tires will.
Old 07-24-2010, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

fred you got a link to where i could get that same header and maybe an S pipe as well. if im gonna do the header might as well change that too. and to what o2 sensor thing you did. so i dont trip any CEL or emssion test type things.