Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that stealth gauge is sweet!. i would rather see the holw gauge but that is a very cool way of doing it! not sure if thats been done be fore. im going to be folloing there thread like the bible now lol
Old 02-03-2012, 06:17 PM
SL Member

Main thing was being able to see the top of the gauge, and well the vent is still functional for the most part. You can see the boost clearly, and Lit up with the built in light, it will be very easy to see but also to conceal =P Im very very happy, that was purely my mechanics idea. I can do most, but when it comes to tearing apart the whole motor and rebuilding it ill leave that to the Toyota Master Tech. Will keep you updated!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:17 AM
SL Member

Old 02-04-2012, 04:22 AM
SL Member

with rods and pistons in

Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Just out of curiousity, why did you choose to not sleeve the block?

I've been considering picking up a 'blown' 2AZ-FE to start a build, but getting the block machined for sleeves seems to be pretty spendy. Not sure if it's really worth the effort for a ~350hp motor.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 AM
SL Member

its not, i found it pretty spendy as well 900 to 1200 prices i got as well, i have talked with plenty of people running 350 to 400 on tc1 with stock cylindars walls (sorry do not know tech term) as long as you dont bore they are pretty tough =)

Last edited by ThatGuyAtGeweke; 02-04-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just stoke it to ~2.7l lol
Old 02-04-2012, 06:29 PM
SL Member

lol You could, however i would not boost with walls as thin as paper hehe
Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey this build thread is great keep up the good work. It pumps me up with the hope my auto could one day be cool.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor
SL Member

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
Just out of curiousity, why did you choose to not sleeve the block?

I've been considering picking up a 'blown' 2AZ-FE to start a build, but getting the block machined for sleeves seems to be pretty spendy. Not sure if it's really worth the effort for a ~350hp motor.
We have run stock sleeve's up to 900 whp with out a problem. We also have run it .5mm over with out any problems. If the car tuned right stock sleeve should hold 1000 hp.

WORLD-Motorsports West
2170 W.190th Street
Torrance, CA 90504
p. 310.533.8900 ext:236
f. 310.533.8160
Old 02-11-2012, 05:57 AM
SL Member

Thank you very much for that info, Here is a teaser for the boost gauge mounted in the drivers side vent. The Car is up and running, Manual shifting (slapstick) the tranny shifts amazing. Still learning the (D) mode.

Lower rpm's shifts very smoothe higher rpms it slams the gears, as it should most amazing tranny build i have seen. Thank you Level Ten! Thank you Decendents for the Info! Thank you to Joe at Fastscions.com for being such a great Sponsor.

This is not done yet, i will be posting more pictures with everything back together, still needs some small work to get the bumper flush will post when completed.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:08 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by horsefeathers
Hey this build thread is great keep up the good work. It pumps me up with the hope my auto could one day be cool.
Thanks for the kind words, im sure a lot doubted as this has been almost a year in the works, but it took me that long to be satisfied with all of the research on all the parts and mods and max power for which parts, what should be replaced. It was nice to be able to learn these things with the help of all of you, ScionFred and r2d2michael.

I finally decided to take the leap and i could not be more happy with the outcome so far. Its set at 10 psi right now, after the dyno tune it will support up to 16psi.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Former Sponsor

This is one of our most exciting projects ever. We are proud to sponsor such a great guy, he's literally been raving about the potential of this build for years. You're my boy D!! Lets get it done!

Ill have some 100 octane ready to roll so we can tweek the current MAP for 18-20psi

Hold tranny hold! FastScions Turbo xB2 Dyno Duo 3/2!!!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was wondering if you have any updates? Maybe some photos, your driving impression of the setup and, if you had to do much tuning for the turbo kit. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:12 PM
SL Member

Because of the cams, this is requiring a lot of tuning. VVT-I Seems to be acting very **** with the timing advance that came on the unichip. We tried making some small modification but i am waiting for my mech. to get his toyota scanner for work so we can watch knock feedback and what the timing is doing so we know how much to advance / retard. If i stay out of full throttle it runs 100% Perfect but who wants that =PP i will post the finished pictures along with the tune results should be within the next week. Sorry for the delay! We just were not expecting major timing issues caused by the cams.

Tranny and everything else seems to run super fine. Joe over at Fastscions.com did not need any tuning for his XB When i went down there. However he is on stock cams. I did the stage 2 lift (i think) From BC. Will take a day of full tuning unless you can find a (chip) company (unichip for example) That already has the map. One thing for sure i can tell you is they will when we are done.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member

Hope all goes well I was talking to joe the other day he must of been talking about you going over to dyno said you have one mean setup. If it was you he was talking about . I would love to get cranking on a setup like yours. And r2d2 how much you want for that unichip I'm gonna but it just so I don't have to read buy my used unichip anymore lol!
Old 03-07-2012, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm anxious to hear how things go with the Unichip. I never seriously considered it before because it's so limited with regard to how it handles air/fuel tuning (MAS signal manipulation) and offers no sustainable closed loop enrichment but lately I've become more interested in the speed limit removal. Why limit a 160mph car to ~125mph?

OTOH, despite previous conversations with Unichip support that impressed me, today I spoke with some dufus who suggested that I should buy their universal Q unit and hardwire it because they are out of stock on XB ECU connectors and he claimed that hardwiring it would only take 15 mins! Yeah, 15 mins to scotchlock their universal harness to the main ECU harness maybe. I'd love to meet the guy who can un-wrap the oem harness, find the correct connection wires and then carefully solder the required tap and intercept connections, shrink-wrap them 100% air and water-tight and re-bundle the harness to oem quality levels in 15 mins! LOL

No offense and I love what you're doing but I am soooo glad that I chose the no-buggy-piggy path I'm on. The FIC is buggy garbage, the X1 needs to be re-programmed for the XB to be a viable option, the Greddy E-Mangle is crap and the Greddy Ultimate is a tuner's wet dream ($$$). Still undecided on the Unichip but I fail to see how manipulating MAS signals to tune AFR accomplishes precise tuning when it screws up cam/ign timing and AT shifting while doing so. Oh well, nothing that many dyno and tuner hours can't fix... hopefully. Good luck... I mean it. If you can get it tuned 100%, I'll order a PnP Unichip just for the speed limit removal.

Last edited by ScionFred; 03-07-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:30 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I'm anxious to hear how things go with the Unichip. I never seriously considered it before because it's so limited with regard to how it handles air/fuel tuning (MAS signal manipulation) and offers no sustainable closed loop enrichment but lately I've become more interested in the speed limit removal. Why limit a 160mph car to ~125mph?

OTOH, despite previous conversations with Unichip support that impressed me, today I spoke with some dufus who suggested that I should buy their universal Q unit and hardwire it because they are out of stock on XB ECU connectors and he claimed that hardwiring it would only take 15 mins! Yeah, 15 mins to scotchlock their universal harness to the main ECU harness maybe. I'd love to meet the guy who can un-wrap the oem harness, find the correct connection wires and then carefully solder the required tap and intercept connections, shrink-wrap them 100% air and water-tight and re-bundle the harness to oem quality levels in 15 mins! LOL

No offense and I love what you're doing but I am soooo glad that I chose the no-buggy-piggy path I'm on. The FIC is buggy garbage, the X1 needs to be re-programmed for the XB to be a viable option, the Greddy E-Mangle is crap and the Greddy Ultimate is a tuner's wet dream ($$$). Still undecided on the Unichip but I fail to see how manipulating MAS signals to tune AFR accomplishes precise tuning when it screws up cam/ign timing and AT shifting while doing so. Oh well, nothing that many dyno and tuner hours can't fix... hopefully. Good luck... I mean it. If you can get it tuned 100%, I'll order a PnP Unichip just for the speed limit removal.
You can not hate on it until you try it. I assure you i would have had 0 problems if i did not have the stage 2 lift cams =P Joe owner of fastscions.com is running 300hp 3' exhaust with unichip no real messing with timing and what not. We spent 4 hours road tuning and wow what a difference. The Unichip is actually very elaborate with advanced timing / throttle position and ability to change fuel at every rpm and every position. Why is this good? well we can actually watch when the Stock ECU is trying to cut fuel because its too rich or its adding because its too lean. We really like the options it offers, and while still keeping Stock ECU entact. Unichip is amazing, they also sent me a free tuner kit because it would not run correctly. Just after a couple hours of road tuning it is driving amazing and pulling hard. I will post some videos up and after we get it tuned to a really good point, we will roll it over to the dyno and do some final tweaking. Can adjust tps, and a lot lot more that we really did not need to mess with. (they are all the same to a point) Just been very happy with the chip, its performance and the customer service. 1 in a million.

Thanks also for the kind words Fred, i just dont like in anyway replacing, reflashing, cuting, splicing, of anything or anysort to the stock cpu. Also i have not had any bugs at all with the unichip software. Speed gov has been removed when i first purchased it 9 months ago. Everything works great no codes, no bugs shrug
Old 03-07-2012, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ive just finished getting the EMS-4 to work on the tC. Getting it to work on the xB shouldnt really be any more difficult. All in all I spent under $1000 on the EMS+sensors+IAC+wiring, however I hardwired everything myself and spent a ton of time figuring things out. My setup retains the stock ECU for dbw only. Currently VVTI is disabled, one day I will figure out how to tune it as the EMS 4 is capable of controlling single actuator VVTI. Ill be posting a write-up in the tC FI section soon.

Im already sooo happy I no longer have to fight with the stock ECU over ign timing and fueling.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:17 PM
SL Member

that is the only thing, with unichip you have to constantly watch fuel trim and see how much the ECU is trying to take out vs what the Unichip is putting in, idealy you want Fuel trim to be at 0% on idle and on max load. Just takes a lot more micro managing and programming, however if you have someone who can do it theirself for super custom setups its still the cheaper more effective way. Plus i can always turn it back to stock within 3 minutes. Having full full control would be nice, but this had some nice advantages, was a tough decision. Im very happy just with the few hour of timing and fuel modifications. We will get it ironed out within the next week.

Quick Reply: Please close thread, i will be closing my account. Thank You!