Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

Resonator Delete.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lefty29er
Trevor, looks like your two cents aint worth a single cent...
Most people who remove the scuba find the result too loud -- what's your point?
Old 09-24-2011, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TrevorS
Most people who remove the scuba find the result too loud -- what's your point?
My point is that your post started as a correction to somebody saying "Header's" and then you follow with your two cents talking about "Header's" my point is your two cent's aint that good of a deal.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My point is that your post started as a correction to somebody saying "Header's" and then you follow with your two cents talking about "Header's" my point is your two cent's aint that good of a deal.
He's not using the word in the same context within the two paragraphs. In the first he is correcting those that refer to a single 4 into 1 header as plural when it is not, and in the second he is simply referencing the fact that people can experiment with several different brands of header, which is plural.

End of English lesson.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As CIONIDE pointed out, there are several headers that can be tried, just as with cat back exhausts, axle backs, air intakes, turbos, crank pulleys, etc. That doesn't mean that more than one of each can be tried at one time. I suggest reading what I said again, but more slowly.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had the ebay full exhaust. was suprised it sounded good. but after a while my exhaust gaskets blew out and began leaking and my resonator got a big crack in it (prob from me dragging it around town lol) but got that welded up and some new gaskets and gonna put it back on. i've run it with the K&N intake then later added the weapon-r header and s-pipe. sounded great.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by masterbB
i had the ebay full exhaust. was suprised it sounded good. but after a while my exhaust gaskets blew out and began leaking and my resonator got a big crack in it (prob from me dragging it around town lol) but got that welded up and some new gaskets and gonna put it back on. i've run it with the K&N intake then later added the weapon-r header and s-pipe. sounded great.
And for a buck-sixty for that exhaust, not a bad deal.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I should have used my recording equipment to get an exhaust clip of the vibrant ultra quiet resonator + rear muffler. Going 70 on the highway..it was fine..until you touched the gas pedal at all O_0.

I'll put it this way...it was at least 3x louder than my 600cc sport bike with a yoshimura exhaust.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 PM

Just to throw my 2 cents in there, I had an exhaust shop make a complete bolt on section of exhaust, removing the scuba tank portion and replacing it with a new section with a magnaflow round muffler. It did wonders for the sound, and a bit more grunt above 4000 rpm. I have a youtube video with it, just search Scion xb resonator delete magnaflow.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yodabiri
I have a youtube video with it, just search Scion xb resonator delete magnaflow.
Or you could have just attached the link...

Old 10-04-2011, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ i like the sound of that but i dont want to hack the "scuba" i wish there was a complete bolt on replacement for it with a nice deep sound.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:03 AM

Thank you for that CIONIDE, I tried to put the link it, and it wouldnt let me for some reason. I still have the full intact scuba portion of the exhaust with the pipes flanges and everything in my garage. I kept it just in case I want to sell the car, that way I can easily put the car back to stock. Any competent exhaust shop should be able to make a complete bolt in replacement. That way you unbolt the scuba portion and bolt in a straight pipe or any other variant you want. The shop that did mine charged me $100 for the parts and labor, plus I provided the Magnaflow, so overall it cost $160, all said and done. Totally worth it in my opinion. The video doesnt really do it justice because there is no load on the engine. When you accelerate (especially in 2nd) the thing sounds like a beast, deep and throaty down low and very smooth and distinct howl above 3500 or so. I would do a video of that if I had somebody to video me ; ). Tunnels are really, really fun now! Just open up the windows, gun it and enjoy the soundtrack.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Only complication is the "scuba" is not just a resonator, it also incorporates a catalytic converter. Of course, whether this matters depends on your state emissions requirements . My state is kinda particular !
Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm. might have to check out an exhaust shop near me to see if they can do it and how much it costs. i live in cali so the whole bolt in replacement seems way better than having it chopped out and welded in.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:01 PM

I live in cali too. The scuba cat can be put back when it is time to smog. Or if one is environmentally conscious, one could even make the bolt in section with a magnaflow cat, which should make the car totally legal and hassle free when it comes to smogging it.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

which exhaust shop did you go to?
Old 10-05-2011, 10:38 PM

I had it done at NorCal muffler and performance in Stockton CA. Shop is well equipped and didnt charge a ton to get job done. (another shop I got a quote from wanted close to $200)
Old 10-06-2011, 04:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

aww damn im in socal, gotta find a shop down here that would do that work for cheap.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:13 PM
SKI
SL Member

I am just hoping one of these exhaust companies will make a bolt in scuba tank delete pipe in stainless for a good price. Ebay has honda test pipes in stainless all day. I don't want to hack mine because nc is an emissions state. I would like to be able to unbolt and bolt it back in for inspection time. Plus i have RS series so i already have a high flow trd muffler stock, i just wish it was a cat back instead of axle back.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
5 Year Member

Could this be it I have been searching for a setup like yodabiri I hope by swapping my res with a magnaflow it will sound right. The video sounds good so it must be better in person
Old 02-26-2012, 09:24 PM
SKI
SL Member

There is another thread up here, TSUDO is in the process of making a high flow cat or maybe a test pipe that is going to be direct bolt up.

Quick Reply: Resonator Delete.