Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Drivetrain & Power Engine and transmission discussions...

TRD Knock-Off exhaust on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, just got the exhaust today and installed it. coming from the box, very well wrapped. tubing way larger than stock. some of the welds were very good, but some were not the best quality, but very solid with no leaks. it is infact mandrel bent. there were some scratches on the whole thing, but i drive my car. unless you're under the car, you won't see it. the tip is aprox 2in tall and 5in wide. i think it fits the car well. the fit and finish is amazing for the $160 i paid (to the door). ok, the sound... i've only put about 10mi on it since the install... at idle, its got a LOW rumble. A LOT louder than the magnaflow setup i had. at idle to 1700rpm, there is a noticable in car drone. not too much, but more than it was. it needs to burn in a bit, which will come quick (50mi each way to work). i'll add more later when i get it up to highway speeds.

as of right now... VERY much worth the money. infact, they should be charging more, IMO. if anyone can school me thru uploading pix, i'd be more than happy to do so!!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

sounds good, maybe someone can compare it to the TRD exhaust as far as sound goes ...

for that price, i would almost be willing to get it .. and replace the tip on it.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by whitebreadbox
if anyone can school me thru uploading pix, i'd be more than happy to do so!!
Sent you a PM on posting pics.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Poor me... all mods are off for a while. I just paid a buttload in taxes that trumps my stimulus check by a huge margin, but I'm still interested in reading about how the exhaust sounds as more miles are put on it.

I read in some thread that the TRD got louder over time. This was probably from 1 person though... Is this usually true with exhausts? I had a cat-back on my SUV and it sounded the same for years.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by rockthebeef
Poor me... all mods are off for a while. I just paid a buttload in taxes that trumps my stimulus check by a huge margin, but I'm still interested in reading about how the exhaust sounds as more miles are put on it.

I read in some thread that the TRD got louder over time. This was probably from 1 person though... Is this usually true with exhausts? I had a cat-back on my SUV and it sounded the same for years.
it depends on the packing material ... (the stuff that is used inside the muffler to, well muffle the sounds) ... some just use a series of baffles made out of metal .. those don't change sound over time .. but ones that are packed with fiberglass or steel wool type stuff .. will get louder as they age ... the material gets burned away eventually....
Old 04-15-2008, 12:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The TRD for the Tc just has less baffles then the stock exhaust...idk if the Xb is the same way ^^^
Old 04-16-2008, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds like you ejoying this trd knock off "whitebreadbox" and i was going to give it shot at as well since it looks good and cheap. but how loud is it when you run through the RPM? can't wait till you post some pic and videos that'll be great. also do you feel any performance gains? great job
Old 04-18-2008, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well whitebreadbox whats the verdict? Worth the $$$
Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i am enjoying the new exhaust. the only thing i don't like (which i will be correcting in the next few weeks) is the position of the tip. the bumper curves and the tip comes straight out. the angle is about 15-20 degrees. its not a big thing, i just don't like it. so, i'm going to cut a wedge out right in front of the tip and tig it back on. the sound is very nice. again, there is a low resonance in the vehicle from off idle to around 1700 rpm. after that, you can't really hear it in the car. i don't notice any performance gains, as i had a magnaflow muffler on it prior to this and am running an intake, header and light weight pulleyes. with the stock scuba tank (3 way cat) still under the car, it probably won't do anything for anyone other than look better and have a bit more sound. i think its well worth the money!!! if anyone else buys it, i hope you enjoy it as much as i do.

i'm working on pix and a sound clip... please be patient!!!
Old 04-18-2008, 11:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanxs brother man gonna go buy one :-)
Old 04-19-2008, 02:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hey whitebreadbox, if you can while doing a sound clip can you put the recording device a little futher back and run through the RMP alittle so we can get a better idea of how it sound throughout the rpm range. thanx
Old 04-19-2008, 05:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok, here's some video. hope the sound quality is enough to do it justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_yzWNegBE
Old 04-20-2008, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that sound nice and i'm really thinking of getting vs the TRD.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

from what i can see, its the TRD exhaust minus $200!!! I'm really happy with it!!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

+1 that tip must have been welded on by a monkey. There is no penetration on the weld. It looks like it will fall off in a few months.

It is not worth wasting your money on a knock off brand. Buy a quality piece and buy it once. There is no warranty with that knock off. Most real companies out there will stand behind their products and give you a 1 year manufacturers warranty for defects.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by NurSpec
+1 that tip must have been welded on by a monkey. There is no penetration on the weld. It looks like it will fall off in a few months.

It is not worth wasting your money on a knock off brand. Buy a quality piece and buy it once. There is no warranty with that knock off. Most real companies out there will stand behind their products and give you a 1 year manufacturers warranty for defects.

so what happens in a year when when the warranty is gone and something happens??? buy another super expensive piece? i guess its just your opinion, as me saying that its worth the money is mine. yes, the tip isn't the best weld, but the rest are very good. i still think its a great exhaust for the money!!!
Old 05-27-2009, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone run into the tip rubbing on the rear bumper after everything is installed and tightened up?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by 09XB24
anyone run into the tip rubbing on the rear bumper after everything is installed and tightened up?
Not on the bumper, but I did notice some scrapes on the bottom of the tip (scraped on the ground). I'm on TRD springs.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im convinced...ordering friday!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i got this pice!!! installed it with the scuba replacement part and deffinately noticed a difference! i also turned my cai into a regular intake...and the car feels way better!

Quick Reply: TRD Knock-Off exhaust on Ebay