Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Anyone with TRD CAI answer me this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Anyone with TRD CAI answer me this...

OK, with the open vent in the front, where does all the water go when driving in the rain.

And in the winter with very cold temps. would you close up the front. to cold air and your sucking alot of gas...

and would this work with not installing the vent and just drawing air from the fender cavity.

thanks
Old 07-25-2008, 08:01 PM
5 Year Member

Water drains out a few holes in the bottom of the liner tray. The filter box itself has a shield to keep the filter out of the water as well.

Unless you live in the very extreme north, leave it open. I believe the throttle body has a coolant loop through it to prevent icing.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by xsintrk
Water drains out a few holes in the bottom of the liner tray. The filter box itself has a shield to keep the filter out of the water as well.

Unless you live in the very extreme north, leave it open. I believe the throttle body has a coolant loop through it to prevent icing.
thank you very much. What would happen if i left it closed

and how do you like it. did you get less gas mileage.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nothing but why would you do that a little water in the intake is a grand thing it will ender the cylnder and evap cooling your motor meaning you can add more timing hahahahahahahhahahah i live in co it rained today my car did not blow up
Old 07-26-2008, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member

Honestly, I have seen a few of your posts and concerns with fuel mileage. Not to rain on your parade, but if mileage was my only concern, I'd bank the CAI cash and use it towards gas. In general, you shouldn't expect 'performance adders' to be 'efficiency adders'. I drive with a lead foot, and the increased sound with the CAI has only further encouraged brisk acceleration. I think if you add these types of parts, you'll find you may bury the pedal a bit more too.

I get 24-25mpg during my city commute. My 1st gen xB got 29-30 on the same drive. My commute is 60 miles a day. I just did the math, and for me the fuel cost difference is around 30$ a month at 4$/gal. That's for a 5MPG diff. If I lost 1mpg with the CAI on my new xB, (I don't know, I had it installed when I bought the car), we're talking, what, 6$ a month? I'm not rich, but to me that's not a significant factor when deciding on how you want to mod your car.

I guess what I'm saying is, enjoy the car, drive it as your style demands. Don't overthink the MPG stuff, when talking 1-2MPG differences from mods we aren't talking huge monthly fuel cost differences.