Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Confirmed: Allan Phillips Racing ECU working on xB2

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:21 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Default Confirmed: Allan Phillips Racing ECU working on xB2

After speaking numerous times to ScionFred about how buggy and inconsistent the AEM FIC is on the xB2, I decided to branch out some and use our shop xB2 to our advantage. I threw on a modified APR in-line ECU middle to late last week to begin doing some testing to see if this would be possible to run like we did on the tC.

The end result was a good to go! I threw it on our shop xB2 and have been running and tuning it all weekend long and I feel confident it's ready for the next phase of testing, which is boost testing. ScionFred has been discussing doing so with me, and hopefully we can get this into his hands for a decent price and help him make it awesome.

Stay tuned!

Pic installed and sitting in the engine bay for the time being. (not recommended)
Attached Thumbnails Confirmed: Allan Phillips Racing ECU working on xB2-aprxb2.jpg  
Old 04-19-2010, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's awesome to hear. It's nice that xB2's are getting some options now.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good for you ScionFred! And Dezod! Awesome!
Old 04-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Good for you ScionFred! And Dezod! Awesome!
Thanks!

Update: I have a pretty solid N/A map coming for the xB2. Definitely some small gains thus far with more left in her. Once I get here close to where I feel we have solid gains, I will do a before and after dyno run with her. Note, I am revving her to 6700
Old 04-23-2010, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats tight! Ive always been curious about n/a tunes. Would this be a map for the stock setup or with bolt ons?
Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by XD40tC
Thats tight! Ive always been curious about n/a tunes. Would this be a map for the stock setup or with bolt ons?
Stock right now. I can do one for bolt-ons though
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome! LMK what stock gains are ASAP! lol
Old 04-23-2010, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Although spending 1800 to improve an N/A with bolt ons would be a bit drastic, I wonder what type of full potential can be released by manipulating the whole bundle of things (a/f ratio, timing, etc) with intake/header/full exhaust.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what will the price be for the unit paul
Old 04-24-2010, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by coryjames
what will the price be for the unit paul
If it's the same as the tC, I'd guess 1800
Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by FromTheOld
If it's the same as the tC, I'd guess 1800
Incorrect. Harness and connectors are MUCH more expensive than the tC ones. This unit will be $2000.00
Old 04-28-2010, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Incorrect. Harness and connectors are MUCH more expensive than the tC ones. This unit will be $2000.00
Oops, my bad. It was just a guess anyways.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First order placed. It is expensive, but in this case I believe that you do get what you pay for. This wasn't an easy decision for me, $2000 is a lot of money, but after living with the FIC for several months I've realized that no matter who tunes it, the FIC is very limited and can never deliver oem driveability. In my case I decided that I couldn't live with the little glitches and hiccups that accompany even a well-tuned FIC setup. It was either this or a new car.

If all goes well I'll have my X1 in a week or so.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my order might soon follow
Old 04-29-2010, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If it works as well as I expect it to, you won't regret it. As the zen master said: "we'll see".
Old 04-29-2010, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah we will see for the time im ok with the fic i seem to have had good luck with it i also use the car now as a race car and it works fine for that lol this and a lsd are in the near future
Old 04-30-2010, 12:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah we will see for the time im ok with the fic i seem to have had good luck with it i also use the car now as a race car and it works fine for that lol this and a lsd are in the near future
It seems like the key to success with the FIC is luck. Luck that it works with your crk/cam sensors, luck that you get a good FIC and luck that your PnP harness is correctly wired. It also seems to work much better with MT cars. It seems to hate AT cars for some reason.

I could try P-Tuning but Toan doesn't like the FIC much and agrees that AT cars are harder to tune well. I'd hate to waste $550 only to find that it still has annoying hiccups, which I believe it would.

What happened to welding the diff? Which LSD are you getting?
Old 05-01-2010, 01:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im the os giken and clutch will be the spec mini twin. I need a better ecu bad to thats all i really have in mind then im done cars paid off in november
Old 05-01-2010, 07:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im the os giken and clutch will be the spec mini twin. I need a better ecu bad to thats all i really have in mind then im done cars paid off in november
I envy the LSD. If I had known then what I know now I probably would have bought a MT but I'm not gonna swap one in. Maybe I'll get a built AT if this one goes bad but I'm trying to make it last. Mobil One works a lot better than that extra thin WS crap Toyota uses.

What kind of FIC issues do you still have? One of mine with no solution is that once I hit the MAF clamp, my AFR will be pig rich at PT, 6psi but dead on or even lean at WOT, 6psi. Since all the FIC sees is MAP, once the maf clamp is in effect, neither the ECU or the FIC knows how much air is really going in. I could raise the maf clamp and solve this but then I'd get a P0101 CEL. I'm basically driving around it for now. When is stumbles rich in PT boost, I add more throttle (air) to correct it.

The X1 reads the actual MAF value so it knows exactly how much air is entering the engine at all times. I assume that it must send a clamped MAF signal back to the ECU to keep it from setting a CEL.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
I envy the LSD. If I had known then what I know now I probably would have bought a MT but I'm not gonna swap one in. Maybe I'll get a built AT if this one goes bad but I'm trying to make it last. Mobil One works a lot better than that extra thin WS crap Toyota uses.

What kind of FIC issues do you still have? One of mine with no solution is that once I hit the MAF clamp, my AFR will be pig rich at PT, 6psi but dead on or even lean at WOT, 6psi. Since all the FIC sees is MAP, once the maf clamp is in effect, neither the ECU or the FIC knows how much air is really going in. I could raise the maf clamp and solve this but then I'd get a P0101 CEL. I'm basically driving around it for now. When is stumbles rich in PT boost, I add more throttle (air) to correct it.

The X1 reads the actual MAF value so it knows exactly how much air is entering the engine at all times. I assume that it must send a clamped MAF signal back to the ECU to keep it from setting a CEL.
Your APR harness is done. Unit should be here to modify any day now.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: Allan Phillips Racing ECU working on xB2