Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Dezod/APR X1 support group

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Dezod/APR X1 support group

If you have one, you already know we need this. I'll start... does anyone know how to manually modify the default software installation so that I can save tune changes without getting an error code referring to an incorrect path? (XP and W7) How about data logging? Everytime I try to datalog the software crashes.

How do you save to a new file name? How do you save to an alternate location?

Please feel free to post any questions or answers regarding APR X1 usage as well as your own results and impressions of the unit.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hopping this works. Good luck Fred. Thanks for going first.
Old 05-31-2010, 01:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by madmarx
Hopping this works. Good luck Fred. Thanks for going first.
Me too! Thanks. I'm sure this will work but at the moment I'm trying to work out some software bugs. Whenever I make any changes and try to save them, I get this error msg (W7 and XP):

I tried creating the folders specified in the above error msg since the software installation didn't but it still doesn't work. Also odd is that the path in the msg is not the path to the cal file the X1 loads at startup.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Originally Posted by ScionFred
Me too! Thanks. I'm sure this will work but at the moment I'm trying to work out some software bugs. Whenever I make any changes and try to save them, I get this error msg (W7 and XP):

I tried creating the folders specified in the above error msg since the software installation didn't but it still doesn't work. Also odd is that the path in the msg is not the path to the cal file the X1 loads at startup.
Check the response in the tC FI forum.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by paul_dezod
Check the response in the tC FI forum.
Thanks Paul.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

The long and short of it all is that we needed software revisions to make the tC work. I had got with one of the writers there, and ended up getting it done. The V3 runs the Tacoma and FJ stuff.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The long and short of it all is that we needed software revisions to make the tC work. I had got with one of the writers there, and ended up getting it done. The V3 runs the Tacoma and FJ stuff.
What's V3?
Old 06-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

What's V3?
The software revision
Old 06-02-2010, 01:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I suppose you mean the X1's internal software (firmware) since the only available version of Xtune is .03A from APR's website (AFAIK).

BTW, my Xtune gauges don't work anymore. Xtune sees the X1 but that's all. I'm going to try going back to the original Main DAQ file and see if that works.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't have any experience with the program your working with; however, i've run into similar problems with black box equipment. I had to use one program on my desk top to change and save files then clear the memory off of field equipment and reload the altered file. Some programs allow you to monitor and download data and give the appearance of allowing you to change base files then reject the changes. Other programs then allow you to manipulate data and change base conditions but have no ability to communicate with sensors.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by madmarx
I don't have any experience with the program your working with; however, i've run into similar problems with black box equipment. I had to use one program on my desk top to change and save files then clear the memory off of field equipment and reload the altered file. Some programs allow you to monitor and download data and give the appearance of allowing you to change base files then reject the changes. Other programs then allow you to manipulate data and change base conditions but have no ability to communicate with sensors.
Luckily the X1 and Xtune aren't like that. It turns out that my initial file saving problems were a simple folder name error and the more recent problem was fixed by re-flashing the X1. Apparently I have to be careful about using my OBD2 scantool with Xtune. Using both together caused Xtune to freeze and screwed up the X1 programming. I tried re-flashing it tonight per APR's instructions and it froze at 4% several times. Then on a hunch I disconnected my OBD2 scantool and the X1 flashed first try. Everything is working 100% again.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Luckily the X1 and Xtune aren't like that. It turns out that my initial file saving problems were a simple folder name error and the more recent problem was fixed by re-flashing the X1. Apparently I have to be careful about using my OBD2 scantool with Xtune. Using both together caused Xtune to freeze and screwed up the X1 programming. I tried re-flashing it tonight per APR's instructions and it froze at 4% several times. Then on a hunch I disconnected my OBD2 scantool and the X1 flashed first try. Everything is working 100% again.
Weird. I run all the time with both connected. What scan tool are you using?
Old 06-02-2010, 03:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Weird. I run all the time with both connected. What scan tool are you using?
Weird is right! I'm only speculating on what event caused the X1 to stop working but I think it had to do with disconnecting the USB cable while Xtune was frozen. Xtune used to freeze whenever I tried to create a data log but I discovered this was due to not having a 'stc24' folder in the APRdata folder (note that the '.X04' folder name suffix is not required for this folder).

I'm using a ELM327 clone and Palmer ScanXL Pro software.

Everything is working now and I can use my OBD scantool with Xtune and I can synch but I can't flash the X1 with the scantool connected. I can only guess but maybe the scantool was bridging power to the X1 or feeding 5V USB to it which would have prevented a successful flash. The APR manual says that a "stuck" X1 needs to be powered down for 2 minutes before being re-flashed.

In a nutshell, me not creating all the necessary folders with correct naming before using Xtune caused a lot of problems. I've probably grown too accustomed to more typical Windows programs that do all this for you during the installation. I think everything is good to go now.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

Weird is right! I'm only speculating on what event caused the X1 to stop working but I think it had to do with disconnecting the USB cable while Xtune was frozen. Xtune used to freeze whenever I tried to create a data log but I discovered this was due to not having a 'stc24' folder in the APRdata folder (note that the '.X04' folder name suffix is not required for this folder).

I'm using a ELM327 clone and Palmer ScanXL Pro software.

Everything is working now and I can use my OBD scantool with Xtune and I can synch but I can't flash the X1 with the scantool connected. I can only guess but maybe the scantool was bridging power to the X1 or feeding 5V USB to it which would have prevented a successful flash. The APR manual says that a "stuck" X1 needs to be powered down for 2 minutes before being re-flashed.

In a nutshell, me not creating all the necessary folders with correct naming before using Xtune caused a lot of problems. I've probably grown too accustomed to more typical Windows programs that do all this for you during the installation. I think everything is good to go now.
Ok. Keep me posted.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok. Keep me posted.
I will. BTW, I should at least mention that I love your AFR map and the X1's ability to provide those target AFRs perfectly all the time. It's so much more consistent than the FIC and pulls harder without any annoying little hiccups. Oh yeah, not a single CEL or even a pending code.

Gadget from URD describes the X1 as "self-tuning" and IMO he's right on the mark. At least after the correct initial settings are input. Great product!

BTW Paul, what scantool do you use? Hand-held or PC based?

Last edited by ScionFred; 06-03-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

I will. BTW, I should at least mention that I love your AFR map and the X1's ability to provide those target AFRs perfectly all the time. It's so much more consistent than the FIC and pulls harder without any annoying little hiccups. Oh yeah, not a single CEL or even a pending code.

Gadget from URD describes the X1 as "self-tuning" and IMO he's right on the mark. At least after the correct initial settings are input. Great product!

BTW Paul, what scantool do you use? Hand-held or PC based?
Mine is handheld and is about $150 from Pep Boys. I forgot the brand name. It's orange colored.

Send me a datalog and I will see how well you are doing.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

glad i found this posting... very interrested in the APR unit... more and more so..
Old 06-20-2010, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Crippie
glad i found this posting... very interrested in the APR unit... more and more so..
In this case you really do get what you pay for. My only regret is buying a FIC and PnP harness first.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
KAD
SL Member

In this case you really do get what you pay for. My only regret is buying a FIC and PnP harness first.
Your trims are nearly perfect Brett. I am glad to see that base cal was a good starting point.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Glad to hear this is working. Now i know what my next mod will be.