Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

intercooler on a SC

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default intercooler on a SC

I have the TRD SC and the weapon R header, the question is: is there a way to install a intercooler since the engine bay gets to hot and no heat shield protects the weapon R header like the stock header
Old 08-12-2009, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...that is not what an intercooler is for...you fail...hard...
Old 08-12-2009, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ thats kinda mean man lol. we are suppose to help them out and explain. =D keeping it rated G hahha
Old 08-12-2009, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the heat shield helps protect the rest of the engine from the heat that radiates off the header when it evacuates the hot exhaust gases out of the car through the rest of the exhaust.

the heat shield if anything, is protecting the shaft of the supercharger, but it isn't necessary.

an intercooler helps cool down the incoming air charge that is heated up because compressing air increases its temperature.

if you want to protect your engine compartment from heat, then you either want to wrap the header or have it high-temperature coated.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It sounds like you are going for a performance car. You might also want to try a low temp thermostat as well as a beefier radiator, either Mishimoto or KyoRad. Kill two birds with one stone.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by curtislo9
It sounds like you are going for a performance car. You might also want to try a low temp thermostat as well as a beefier radiator, either Mishimoto or KyoRad. Kill two birds with one stone.
the trd supercharger comes with one already. and the stock radiator is fine for the supercharger.

he really doesn't have to do anything.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

yeah, my question was missunderstood or wasn't the right question, what I meant was how the air intake can get colder air if there is no vent on the Kenstyle lip,
Old 08-12-2009, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

didn't the xb's turbo kit come with a cold air intake that went down the driver side fender? it is already drawing in cold air from outside the engine compartment to begin with.

now, if you want to add a bunch of plumbing to run an intercooler, your are going to lose about 2 psi, which means you lose power.

the supercharger running stock boost or up to 9.5 psi of boost doesn't need an intercooler. if it did, TRD would have sold it with one.

if you want to look into cooling your intake charge, look into water/meth injection.

but you also do not want to put a hole or anything in the bumper since that can increase your chances of hydro lock.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by loneeagle
yeah, my question was missunderstood or wasn't the right question, what I meant was how the air intake can get colder air if there is no vent on the Kenstyle lip,
No, not really.

You could put an IC on your car but you would need to fab all the tubing for it. The only real problem with the SC, as is, is heat soak. The good news is the grill opening is big, with a less ristricted opening recovery time would be much better.

draxcalibers solution is the easiest & a good 1. Water meth WORKS well. With an IC you need to think about location as well as, IC core design & size, tubing diameter, number of bends, couplings, loss of boost & thermal efficency.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Exactly as previously said- by adding an intercooler if you aren't careful in the design you could actually end up robbing power from yourself. It'd be nice if the supercharger ran cooler though!
Old 08-13-2009, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIswTC
Exactly as previously said- by adding an intercooler if you aren't careful in the design you could actually end up robbing power from yourself. It'd be nice if the supercharger ran cooler though!
With the gen1 it's not too bad. I have a no restriction grill & the blower recovers pretty quick. The gen2 has the exhaust but the actual blower is over to the D side quite a bit.

The Eaton in my gen1 car runs quite a bit warmer than the TRD Rotrex but to cool it more I think a cooling duct from the grill or front fender would help. A good CAI would help the cause also. Unfortunately there's no way to see the AIT on the outlet side of the blower so to really know that you helped the heat issue, you're out of luck.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If i were you I would get a heatshield for that header as not having it will adversely affect your s/c shaft and bearings, and I only have 6 shafts left so you may be s.o.l now that there are no more s/c's being sold.