Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

The Supercharger Thread™ (non-TRD)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So it's been a while... I spent forever working on the suspension. I've replaced the control arms, ball joints, tie rod ends, entire steering rack, and an axle, and I'm almost back on the road (hopefully by this weekend) and the build can continue.

Small side note - I went ahead and paid up the $15 for two day access to TIS to download the entire xB service manual, and I have to say it's totally worth it. It has all procedures and specs for everything you could imagine.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It'll be good to see you back at this. Mine been on hold as well. Work, life, and home projects have been getting in the way.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm still taking it slow, but shopping for parts has been enjoyable. Got my 2011 Nissan GT-R BOV(s) and gasket today:

Name:  yKj4bIf.jpg
Views: 2995
Size:  127.4 KB

(yes I know these are technically bypass valves)

I was searching for *the* most reliable BOV, recirculating or not, and it turns out that the 1st generation DSM BOV wins that title hands down. I started searching for one in good shape, only to find that most have 100k+ miles in them or have been modified (crushed) to hold at higher pressures. When I started looking for a new one, I found that Mitsubishi no longer makes them!

Long story and many hours of research later, I found that the current GT-R uses a newer Mitsubishi BOV that is, as far as anyone can tell, exactly the same as the one used on the old DSM. To make things better, these are constantly removed for upgrades in pairs, and I was able to get the pair with 10k miles and a new gasket for under $50. I'll probably sell off the second one to recoup some of that cost since I only need one BOV.

I haven't decided on a mounting flange since I don't have all of my cold side pipes planned out, but weldable flanges and 1" hose adapters are available on eBay.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:25 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Run a similar BOV on my EVO9. Currently at 27 psi & it works perfectly

Appreciate the work youre doing on the S-charger
Old 07-29-2015, 05:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Finally back on the road and ready to get moving again. This is my spare car, but I hate seeing it sitting in the garage unable to move. A couple updates:

* I am considering dumping the supercharger and going turbo due to technical difficulties (still undecided and the build continues either way)
* I did determine that I will use the stock airbox, just raised and rotated 90 degrees clockwise, similar to the Dezod turbo kit (I should be able to easily fabricate the mount). This saves money on needing a new air filter and MAF sensor solution, and retains a bit of the factory look.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Spare ECU is on the way; will do the TRD flash sometime this week (on the spare) and start testing.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:00 PM
5 Year Member

How many miles is on your motor while you are doing this?
Old 08-19-2015, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

About 80k. Compression is good and replacements are cheap if it should blow up.

I got the spare ECU; was able to update the VIN and do the standard poking around, but I can't seem to get the TRD flash to take. I've seen all sorts of reports of getting the CUW to work with a standard generic cable (using a variety of tricks) but so far no luck. I'll keep hammering at it until I figure something out.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow, it's been a while!

Been busy with other things; this is still very much on my to-do list, but no progress has been made.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any updates?
Old 01-02-2016, 10:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VENisME
Any updates?
Life got in the way and I haven't made much progress. After tons and tons of test fitting I decided to sell the supercharger and go with a turbo. I have all the prices except the actual turbocharger since I've been very on the fence about which unit to use. Basically I need the turbo, different injectors, and a few bits of pipe and I have everything I need now.

I did pick up a spare ECU and I'm going to flash it with the S/C flash to tinker around with even though I already have the SSE module - using both seems the safest route short of full management. I'm waiting on my flash capable cable to arrive to do that, though I've already updated the VIN on the spare ECU and given it a full test to ensure its good to go.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh cool. Ty for chiming in.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:16 AM

Did this ever get finished?
Old 04-27-2021, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah! Let's see some timeslips or dyno-charts! Kill videos?
Old 09-27-2021, 11:25 PM

I am new to Scionlife. I enjoyed reading this Supercharger thread. If you are still on line, could you tell me about the ECU re-flash: Is your ECU reflash the same thing as comes in the TRD Supercharger kit (which I'm trying to get)
and is enricher needed for Turbo. I started out not wanting to touch the stock exhaust and fool with the cats, which is why Supercharger is of interest to me, but everyone winds up Turbo. You'd think Supercharger would be easier.

____

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-28-2021 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nigmor
I am new to Scionlife. I enjoyed reading this Supercharger thread. If you are still on line, could you tell me about the ECU re-flash: Is your ECU reflash the same thing as comes in the TRD Supercharger kit (which I'm trying to get) and is enricher needed for Turbo. I started out not wanting to touch the stock exhaust and fool with the cats, which is why Supercharger is of interest to me, but everyone winds up turbo. You'd think Supercharger would be easier.

____

Since Paul hasn't been on in almost a year I'll answer.

Yes, he was going to use the TRD S/C re-flash.

Yes, you need to get larger injectors to properly handle the extra boost.

Most folks go turbo for a reason. It is a lot easier than doing a S/C on these cars. You're option are to go custom build like Paul or I have tried, or to try using the TRD unit. It was discontinued due to reliability issues so getting the upgraded parts for making sure it works long term haven't become few and far between, not to mention expensive. I'm pretty sure Paul ended up going turbo or was switching to a V6 swap, I can't remember now. I'm stalled out on mine due to work, life and having moved. Not to mention that I still need to design and built the new intake for my design to work. If you want to look into going forced induction then i would highly recommend joining the Boosted Scions FB group. The vast majority of the people on it are turbo charged and have a wealth of information about how to go about it.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the reply and the tip to go to a facebook group. A helpful guy called gompka told me about the grease fitting improving bearing life and I came across alignment problems and twisting from engine torque, problems that a turbo would not have. Do you still have your SC unit? I am in the market for parts like the rear brackets and the so called tuba (which may not be necessary, perhaps). I have a never-used SC with the jack shaft, but nothing else. Its been in a box for 16 years. So the bracket is the most important right now, and then engine management. I can find replacements for most other things.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the reply and the tip to go to a facebook group. A helpful guy called gompka told me about the grease fitting improving bearing life and I came across alignment problems and twisting from engine torque, problems that a turbo would not have. Do you still have your SC unit? I am in the market for parts like the rear brackets and the so called tuba (which may not be necessary, perhaps). I have a never-used SC with the jack shaft, but nothing else. Its been in a box for 16 years. So the bracket is the most important right now, and then engine management. I can find replacements for most other things.
Gompka is the go to guy for the TRD SC fixes so you're on the right path there. I still have my SC but it won't do you any good. I went a completely different route than both Paul and TRD. I've got an Eaton M62 that I'll be mounting on the backside of the motor with an air to water intercooler into it.. Hence why I have to make an intake as nothing stock will work. I wanted to try something different and stupidly complex just because.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 09-29-2021 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Awarded 10 Yr Badge
Old 09-29-2021, 10:12 PM

Nice plan, why not try it out, I cant wait to see it. That motor of yours looks new. I was thinking to build a stronger engine; they say boost is addictive and I have not even started yet and am getting ambitious. I wanted to start with squirters, use better rods and pistons and the best piston rings. The squirters supposedly were introduced in 2007 but there must be some designation on the engine number or the crankcase to tell if its 2nd gen with squirters (without taking it apart).
Old 10-01-2021, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice plan, why not try it out, I cant wait to see it. That motor of yours looks new. I was thinking to build a stronger engine; they say boost is addictive and I have not even started yet and am getting ambitious. I wanted to start with squirters, use better rods and pistons and the best piston rings. The squirters supposedly were introduced in 2007 but there must be some designation on the engine number or the crankcase to tell if its 2nd gen with squirters (without taking it apart).
All 2nd gen xBs have the oil squirters. The only Scion without them is the 05-06 tC.

The engine better look new. It's a spare block that I had bored out slightly, machined and painted. I've got a new crank, BC cams, springs, and valves as well as billet rods and pistons. I

Once I finally get enough time to mock up and built the intake then I can actually assemble it. Work and home projects come first, but now that both my kids are in college I might actually have the time to work on it.

Quick Reply: The Supercharger Thread™ (non-TRD)