Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Turboed auto with 2 issues

Old 06-20-2014, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Turboed auto with 2 issues

Hey guys, I'm running a turbo on my '08 auto and ran into two problems recently.

The first one is a seemingly small problem that looks like a vacuum leak. My traction control light and check engine light are on, and my VSC slowly blinks. It flared up about a week ago, went away, and now is back after I removed the low pressure cap of my AC while attempting to recharge my AC in Utah (separate and unrelated but very annoying problem). I read the code the first time and it said "system too lean". I started hunting around and couldn't find any leaks. My AFRs hover right around mid 14s under load and hit 20 when coasting with no throttle, but will occasionally go to 10ish for no reason under no throttle for a second and then back up to mid 14, but sometimes will stay down at 10.

This leads me to my next problem. It initially showed up if I would floor it and let off the gas quickly. My engine would sometimes die during these situations with my AFR hitting 10 and then the engine stalled. Today, however, it started behaving the same way when I had to brake aggressively and died about 4 times from this.

I am running a Unichip piggy back with a tune from FastScions. I have had it turboed for a while now and put about 800 miles on before this popped up at all, and almost 800 today driving from Denver to Vegas with it rearing its ugly head after about 500 miles on the day. My transmission temperatures were healthy for all of the trip, never rising above 185. The car never was in danger of overheating that I could tell. I have the Weapon R CEL eliminator. My oil return line from my turbo is tapped to the front of my oil pan.

If anyone can shed any light on either or both of these problems, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Forgot to mention that each time it dies, I can stop, put it in park, and restart immediately. It displays the normal lights for being in accessory mode.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what i will suggest get rid of the unichip. that computer sucks, did you have it tuned?
Old 06-27-2014, 09:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's a base tune but there are no Unichip tuners near me. I'm saving for an AEM EMS or similar standalone (if anyone has a preference or knows of a good one that's cheaper, I'm all ears) so that should eventually solve most problems.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

EMS2 is the way to go. will run like stock.