Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

xb2 ecu piggy back supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 08:57 PM

Default xb2 ecu piggy back supercharged

ok i have an 08 xb that im supercharging , this is what i have done so far, 4 to 1 header an wraped,stock s pipe 2.5 back to flowmaster 40 (soundsgreat) ,cai, ported throttlebody, weapon r intakemainfold, bc cams ported head an decked 40 thousandths, street tune aem fic6 , light weight crank stock size

i have low idle at 550 rpm an its auto (wife cant drive stick) help

i have trd supercharger w full kit , 550cc injectors, aem methanol an 9.5pulley an 14psi pulley

questions i have low idle fuel air is good why?
also do i need a standalone or can i use my aem fic when i install the supercharger

i know everyone is saying turbo but its a dd an i want low tq instant power an i got full kit for xb2 for $900
Old 08-28-2013, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team ScionEyed
SL Member

$900!!!!! OMG what a score!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 AM

anyone help with question
Old 08-29-2013, 12:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure if this'll help or not, but a friend is using a unichip with his TRD supercharger kit for his tC.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I also have a Unichip. Contact them and see if they have any solutions.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just saying this because myself personally, and 3 other friends (in the same state), as well as countless others on here that had their gen1 tC's supercharged (and mine was completely stock, as far as the s/c goes, coupled with a TRD axleback) - installed when the car had less than 5,000 miles, from a dealership that had supercharged every vehicle TRD made that had a s/c kit for it (Tundra, Tacoma, tC, ect).

5,000 miles - car was not abused, blew the motor from the s/c grenading the piston into the motor. Toyota warrantied the motor, re-installed s/c. My FIRST s/c blew up completely less than 5,000 miles later. Second s/c lasted 10,000 miles, and destroyed the cat converter as well.

THIRD s/c, guess what? Spun bearings. Blew second cat.

I sued toyota, and won - and got ALLLL of my money back. They would not cover the TRD parts I had, and I was able to take them back off and sell them. (TRD flashed ECY, TRD rims, TRD big brakes, TRD full suspension, TRD clutch, TRD limited slip dif, TRD short shifter, TRD front and rear anti-sway bars ect). Basically, I had built a FULL TRD car, plus every OEM upgraded accessory.

You can search my name, and look on here. Every single person I have MET, has had to rebuild the s/c at low mileage. The camry motor that the tC was built on, does not play well with the s/c, and 100% - turbo charging is the way to go. Not saying a turbocharger wont have issues if incorrectly installed, or beat on really hard - but they are hands down, with out a doubt - the best way to go for forced induction.

I had a 10 year, 100k mile warranty. Toyota flew out 2 head TRD technicians from CA after replacing the 2nd motor/2nd s/c, 1st cat converter. Everything was taken down, and re-installed to factory tolerances.

SAME exact thing happened to my friend Ronnie who was on his 3rd supercharger. Then finally went with the t-netics kit, and 5 years later, 14psi - his car is flawless. And ripped on EVERY DAY.

For the amount of HP your adding, and you running those upgraded pullies (you BETTER be running a catch can first off, not sure if I saw you in that list). I would bet the farm, that within 2 years, or 20k miles, your s/c will bite the dust.

TRD discontinued them for the reason that they ALL blew up. Search on here how many people went through more than 2 superchargers. There are rebuild kits (dont know if still made) from Kikcafeene (spelling?) provides higher tollerance bearings and Gompka (spelling) makes a new shaft.

The TRD unit has several flaws, and while initially it made the car a blast, going through 3 units, was a nightmare. Toyota was VERY lenient with me, and always had a loaner car for me to drive, but to have the car at the dealership so many times was just heart-breaking.

So, let me get to the end of my story (and again, search my name on here, you will find many posts about me suing toyota and winning) when we took the supercharger off (toyota did) and I took it back to 100% stock motor (not even a intake anymore) the car ran better than it EVER has in its whole life (except for the first trouble free 5000 miles).

Your xb2 is the same exact motor. My stuff was installed on a BRAND NEW, I was the only owner, the car had 10 miles on it (because the dealer has to do a PPI, or pre-purchase inspection, and drive the car for at least 8 miles or so). My car was a garage queen. NEVER raced. It was purchased brand new on dec. 16th of 2006 (it was a 07 nautical metallic blue) and ended its life with me, having ONLY put 26,000 miles on it in 6 years. I did not daily drive it because I have 2 streetbikes, and at the time, a brand new yaris too. I was fully dedicated to scions, and toyota as a brand - and spent LOTS of money with my local dealership.

Now, I own a 08 civic SI coupe, with a stage 2 comptech s/c, comptech header, JDM SI RRC intake manifold, mishimoto carbon fiber intake, Berk HiFlow cat, HFP exhaust, mugen short shifter, HFP rims, Hondata Flashpro (tuned by VitViper *best tuner out there for SI's, period*) and pushing 318hp, out of a freaking 2.0 liter motor. I regularly beat the crap out of it for the last year. Just had a compression test done, everything is PERFECT, and the car runs hard as ***** - pulls on pretty much anything thats under 350hp or so, has hondata traction control, and runs 12.5's all day on street tires. Ive beat down new mustangs (they weigh more than my SI, and they run high 13's). My SI is running controlled boost by gear, and traction control, so it doesnt spin, it just chirps as it shifts all the way into 4th. Full boost is available in 3rd gear.

I wish you the best of luck. TRD discontinued the S/C. They didnt make them for more than 3 years. You can not buy them new any more for this exact reason. I loved my tC (as evident by the amount of money I put into it). I wish I would of never got the s/c (was trying to stay all OEM since the car was new). It was the worst decision I have made in my life financially. I would bet the farm, that your tC supercharger will blow up, and even faster with you running the smaller pulley.

And to answer your question - take your car to a tuner, your FIC will be fine, as long as your not running the TRD flashed ECU. You want to tune using the stock ECU w/ the AEM FIC.

On another note - I have a new OEM carbon fiber "TRD Supercharged" valve cover that I would let go dirt cheap. They were $250 new from the dealership. I dont expect to own another supercharged tC ever again, so PM me if your interested.

Lastly, google " tc trd supercharger problems" and you'll see exactly what I mean. If you want to get the most life out of your s/c unit (which, isnt too long) then do not touch that pulley, and run the stock one.

Last edited by torqueTc; 08-30-2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: spelling/grammer
Old 08-30-2013, 11:38 PM

i saw same thing on superchargers thats why i rebuilt w cermaic bearings took forever to find they r good to 100k rpms, i have header straight pipe 2.5 to 3inch flowmaster.

i have a 9.5psi an 14psi nst pulleys

any idea what i will dyno w set up i have rember automatic

read further up to see what i have done

for this set up

future plans 11 to1 pistons, rods, balance delete, sleeve block ,acl bearings, arp crank studs

parts $1600 shipped from real street on ebay that will be when taxs come back next yr

an yes i plan to run 14psi w 11 to 1 compression , love methanol injection
Old 11-19-2013, 06:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure how s/c numbers for psi works vs t/c, but an auto t/c can only go to I believe 8 psi before the auto slips. You will need to build the tranny to go higher.