Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2010 Alpine Premium 100% Working in 2008 xB!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've do not and never have owned a Gen1 xB, so take that into consideration when I say this.

If you are able to obtain the audio wiring diagrams for the Gen1 xB (specifically '06 if there are any in-generation differences to be aware of) it could be possible to acquire everything you need to make it work, however since they've obviously changed the plugs between the years, you're most likely looking at a hack-n-splice job to make it happen.

If you can acquire an '06 wiring diagram of the appropriate wiring, I'll happily take a look at them, but no promises.

Originally Posted by twukken
Well I got my Alpine all installed with the custom USB/AUX connector. Just one problem The AUX does not work. You see my 06 XB does not have a pin 14 or 18 on the connector to be able to switch. Also the little connector on the USB/AUX module has a 8 pin connector but my harness is only 4 pin. I plugged it into the 4 top pins of the connector but there is 1 pin out in space. I think this might be the AUX ground but I cannot be sure unless I can get a factory wiring diagram.

Everything else is plug and play and the USB works flawless
Can anyone help?

Jason
Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Default Problem finding wiring harness

If anyone can help

I need the Toyota ppart number for the alpine Video input kit. I have tried all the numbers I have found in this post to no avail. If anyone has the official number so I can order this it would be greatly appreciated.

The dealer seems to be dumbfounded by my request for a video input cable.

Any help appreciated
Jason
Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 AM

Default Alpine / Toyota part number.

I never had a Toyota Part number for the Alpine cord. I had to call Optimize Scion at 1-800-780-2402, give them the name of my Toyota / Scion dealer and then they called the local dealer and told them how to order the part. It seemed screwey but that is the only way that was sucesful.

Good luck.

BTW, the directions that come with the cable are wrong. Read the earlier posts for detailed information.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Does anyone know the pinnout for the USB connector in the image labeled #7? Is it the same 4 connections on a USB cable? Thanks.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scionetics
Scikotics
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Artist
I never had a Toyota Part number for the Alpine cord. I had to call Optimize Scion at 1-800-780-2402, give them the name of my Toyota / Scion dealer and then they called the local dealer and told them how to order the part. It seemed screwey but that is the only way that was sucesful.

Good luck.

BTW, the directions that come with the cable are wrong. Read the earlier posts for detailed information.
I'm gonna have to try this!
Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Alpine Video Input Kit Part Number

The problem with ordering the Video Input Kit is that most dealers are unaware of its existence. It doesn't seem to have an "official" Toyota part number. My parts guy was able to search for it by using the Alpine number that I gave, his dealership has the part number as I have it listed in my PDF on the first page of this post. I did find out though that the "part number" they have listed is just the numbering of the barcode less the first and last number.

Artist had the right idea by calling Optimize Scion and having them educate your local dealer. I called them and they said they've had to make a few phone calls to dealers to get the video input kit ordered. They're more than happy to help educate your dealer if necessary.

Originally Posted by Artist

Good luck.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

UPDATE 11-24-2010 (For Apple iOS Users)

I have not verified this with more than one iOS device, but the latest iOS 4.2.1 update seems to break the compatibility with the device and the Alpine radio. I can only get a "Comm. Error" when I try to use my iPhone 4 32GB via the USB connection. A friend of mine plugged his phone running 4.0.2 and it worked fine, and mine worked fine on 4.1.

If you depend on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch to communicate via USB to this Alpine radio, DO NOT UPDATE TO 4.2.1.

The system still charges the phone, but it does NOT access the iPod features. Now, I have not tried OTHER phones on 4.2.1, but mine doesn't work it only charges.

Thankfully I usually use a 160GB iPod classic so this isn't a big deal to me, but it might be to you!

Hopefully Apple or Alpine will correct this issue in a future update.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Dave, I am curious if you are still making those custom harnesses that give full functionality of the Alpine Premium HU?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I was wondering the same thing.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ok so no response from Dave yet, but I am still hoping for one. I called my local dealership today to see if I could find the parts to make up the harness. So far I have confirmed that part number 86190-53040 is the USB/AUX connector that goes in the armrest (see picture below). I have been unable to find the part number for the cable that is associated with it. I came across the a picture of the cable on a different thread here on SL. The picture is below. If anyone has any idea what the part number could be please let me know. I already checked 86203-12340 and that is not it.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Alpine Premium 100% Working in 2008 xB!-img_4616-large-.jpg   2010 Alpine Premium 100% Working in 2008 xB!-connector-cord.jpg  
Old 01-24-2011, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for my delayed responses, my job has had me in and out of town lately and have not had a chance to check this forum.

According to my notes, that is the part number for the jack only. I've never been able to find the harness part number and have spent quite some time on the phone with a buddy of mine that works at a dealer sifting through the parts catalog. We've never been able to turn up the harness.

I have not been able to get ahold of the connectors I need to duplicate the harness anymore, but will send out some e-mails tomorrow and see if I can source the harness or the connectors to make the harness again.

If anyone else finds the part number, please post it, it's definitely been the missing link to get it 100% working without trouble in the pre-2010 models.

Originally Posted by gemoore
Ok so no response from Dave yet, but I am still hoping for one. I called my local dealership today to see if I could find the parts to make up the harness. So far I have confirmed that part number 86190-53040 is the USB/AUX connector that goes in the armrest (see picture below). I have been unable to find the part number for the cable that is associated with it. I came across the a picture of the cable on a different thread here on SL. The picture is below. If anyone has any idea what the part number could be please let me know. I already checked 86203-12340 and that is not it.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Received an email today back from TRD sparks regarding the usb harness:

Hi Geoff,

Unfortunately that part seems to be attached to the vehicle harness there and is not available on its own. Your best bet is to get it from a junkyard otherwise you'll be spending a lot of money. Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thank you,

Mr. Jamie Sutherland
Sparks Toyota/Scion
Internet Parts

So apparently this cable does not have its own part number, but is incorporated under the general part number that covers a vehicles stereo harness. I dont know how much a stereo harness costs, but I imagine its not anywhere close to cheap.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:14 AM

gemoore, und3rgr0und, Dave90T,

Folks - Toyota does not sell the USB harness from the 2010/2011 xb2 that we need for the ipod USB function of the Alpine premium unit in the 2008/2009 xb2. You can buy just the portion of the USB harness that routes from the USB/AUX adapter in the center armrest console to the area next to the handbrake. This is P/N 86203-12340 and it is only about 15 inches in length. The remainder of the 4.5 feet of USB harness from the handbrake area to the rear of the Alpine Premium Unit is incorporated into the entire 2010 xb2 engine and instrument harness and it is not sold separately by Toyota.

See my prior post in this thread with details of the solution I used on my 2008 xb2. I purchased P/N 86203-12340 and lengthened its USB leg by splicing in 4.5 feet of common USB cable so that its USB connector reaches to the mating connector on the rear of the Alpine Unit. The USB connector on 86203-12340 is not an exact match to the mating USB connector on the Alpine unit but it is close enough that I could lightly shave it with an exacto knife so that it fit perfectly.

This is the only solution for 2008/2009 xb2 until someone can make a custom USB harness available that will extend the entire route from the USB/AUX adapter in the console to rear of the Alpine Unit.

Again, see my prior post in this thread with complete details of this solution which worked for me.

Best regards,

Last edited by DDStrat; 01-25-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am researching something. It appears there may be a harness available that will work, it's just not out of an xB. I've got my parts guy at Toyota spending his lunch breaks looking stuff up for me. The harness that gemoore posted with the pink bubble wrap baggie that has the part number for a jack on it is definitely a Toyota/Scion part, it's just not for a Scion. I've studied that picture in depth and have found that the blue jacketing/insulation on the harness is very Toyota-ish and that the single black wire taped to the harness every so often that has a small pin protected in a plastic baggie on the end is for the AUX audio ground signal that you have to relocate in the C27 connector per my hack to make this radio work.

The harness is out there, we just need to figure out what car. The jack part number (and/or the 15" harness that DDStrat used) is used in the Highlander, Corolla, and the iQ. There may be others too.

Last edited by Dave90T; 01-28-2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Clarification and continuity.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 PM

I'm really hoping that the part number for that pictured harness is located. I'm not using the Alpine unit, but I'm using the 2010 Pioneer unit in a 2009 xB, and also need to get a hold of the iPod wire/connector that plugs into the HU and my iPod. Crossing my fingers. Also, if Dave90T finds the parts for a custom harness, I'll be interesting in buying one.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 PM

Can we find out who posted this pic and ask him/her? Do you remember where you found this gemoore?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I found the pictures on another thread here on SL. It was titled "2009 Alpine Compatibility" or something. I deleted the bookmark I had on it. However, if you go to ebay and search "Scion Alpine" you will find a seller who sells the Alpine Premium for 399$, message him and ask if he is selling the USB connection cord for the stereo still. I did this, and he sent me this picture (see below). I ended up purchasing it for 80$ and it works perfectly. My USB on the Alpine HU works with a flash drive and my iPhone which has the newest firmware. I havent gotten around to posting my details about the install in my car, but I will soon. However, this confirms that the Alpine Premium HU can be installed in a 2009 Scion tC.
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Alpine Premium 100% Working in 2008 xB!-img_20110125_103400.jpg  
Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 AM

Thanks a lot! This is exactly the information I was looking for (and I'm sure several others are looking for). This way others can avoid spending more money on the part(s) and time on the fabrication of a cable such as the one I made in my other post (2010 Radio in 2009 and Older Scion!). Wish I got in on this one!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:04 AM

I know this is a little old and I don't mean to bring a dead thread back but...

I just purchased this headunit to put in my 08 4runner. Plugged in with no modification and all works except AUX. Now I am sure there are differences between pins to move between Toyo and Scion because plugged in without modification my AUX only plays through the left side speaker. Not my concern. My concern is that I do want the ipod feature. I keep reading you need that hardness for the ipod/usb. What I can't tell is what plugs into the other ends. Is there another cable needed or not. I this so from what I read, but I am not totally sure.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2011, 07:16 AM

i currently have a 2011 scion tc and see that the whole alpine video input kit is so complaicated, i order a universal alpine video bypass. once i recieve it ill give it a try to see if the video works. mayb it'll be easier to do that than the video kit thats so hard to get and connect.

Quick Reply: 2010 Alpine Premium 100% Working in 2008 xB!