Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Does SNS Nav head unit put out a flat audio signal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Does SNS Nav head unit put out a flat audio signal?

I'm pondering some stereo upgrades and the first decision would be to keep or ditch the Scion Navigation System. Has anybody scoped one of these or any of the current Scion head units to see what kind of frequency response it puts out? Thanks.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I doubt that any of the Scion headunits put out a flat freq. response. The reason I say this is because when I swapped out my stock headunit for an aftermarket Kenwood unit, the speakers sounded pretty crappy. (Weak bass response) The bass response isn't really a problem anymore with 1500W going to a 15" in my trunk. :D (Highs aren't too bad from the stock tweeters)

The Scion headunits are internally EQ'd to compensate for the stock speakers frequency response. Likewise, if you add an aftermarket speaker set, it will probably sound very boomy. I would start looking at aftermarket headunits if you want to do any sort of audio upgrades.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand your logic buickid but when I switched out my stock speakers they didn't sound boomy at all. I would imagine ("guess") that if you defeat the SSP and all other digital processing built into all 3 available Scion head units, that you'd have flat output.

The SNS has a 7 band graphic EQ, which i use with all the other "sound enhancements" off. It sounds best this way and the frequency response sounds pretty good, but I just want to know for a fact if it's flat or not.

Anybody know how accutrate it would be to use test tones and a radio shack SPL meter to try and RTA my stereo?

Is there a Mac-compatible RTA program that's free? That would be cool. A iPhone app that could analyze sound would be sweet!
Old 10-23-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm... Were you planning to use a Line-Output converter?

Have you looked at the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.1 or .2? It does exactly what you're describing. You hook it up to your speaker outputs, and play the provided CD. The 3sixty analyzes the output and internally EQs the signal. The 3sixty then spits out a nice and flat signal from three pairs of RCAs for F/R/Subs. From that point on, you leave the HU at its (near) maximum volume and use the provided volume **** to control the volume. Its a bit pricy, but the best way to do a stock-looking install.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Right now I do have a LOC to my sub amp. The main speakers are running off the head unit and it actually sounds pretty good. I want to analyze my current setup (with an SPL meter and test tones) and see how flat it is. If it's off by a lot then I will consider something like the RF 3sixty.1 or JL Clean Sweep and go from there. I'm positive an aftermarket head unit will sound better right off the bat, but for now I'm still trying to convince myself that this is something I need to do.

I think my tweeters are actually a little hot so I'm going to try and attenuate them 3 or 6 dB before I start tearing more stuff apart.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I would definitely invest in one of the OEM interfaces like you've mentioned. Alpine also has one that has a big gangster ****.

Ummm... I doubt that there's any programs for the iPhone or anything other than a dedicated RTA meter like the Audiocontrol meter and/or the Termlab. I'd recommend hitting up a dealer in your area. I doubt many will have a Termlab, but some may have the Audiocontrol meter.

The RF 3Sixty.2 has auto settings... Mmmmm...
Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The 3Sixty.2 is a sick piece. Bluetooth controllable EQ settings, thats pretty trick.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Banned
SL Member

its nice if you can get it to work, there have been issues with the bt interface, i'd recommend the jl cleansweep or the alpine h650 (imprint)
Old 10-25-2008, 05:14 AM
5 Year Member

I run the RF 3Sixty.2 in my car with the SNS. It definitely set some compensation to flatten the signal, even with all the SSP off.

I do recommend the RF unit, if only the iPhone supported the bluetooth profiles needed to program it without breaking out the laptop.

For what it's worth, I still control the volume with the SNS. I use the contrl **** to adjust the subwoofer level.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for posting xsintrk. It's good to hear from an actual user of the SNS + RF 3sixty. How would you rate the sound now compared to an aftermarket stereo? When you say that the 3sicty.2 definitely set some compensation to flatten the signal, is it something you heard right away or does it give you a visual representation on the computer screen? If so, how off was the EQing? For example was cut int the mids, boosted bass and treble, or ?

BTW nice setup! Is that an 11kv.2?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:17 AM
5 Year Member

It's been 6 months since I performed the factory integration, but as I recall, there was a moderate mid-range bump and a fairly sharp bass boost it corrected for. Once the setup runs, it gives you a display of the 31 band EQ with the compensation set to flatten the output. I'm a geek, I love the software/bt aspect. (This would be killer EQ to use with a carputer, btw)

I replaced the front door speakers with eD components, and powered both fronts and rears with an Alpine 50x4 amp. The sub is indeed a 11kv.2 powered by a nine.2. I powered everything up and listened to the system without any correction from the 3sixty for about 10 minutes. It wasn't bad, but, still had the factory stereo mudiness.

Once I ran the RF setup disc, figured out my levels, and especially after I setup the time delay between the speakers, it made an amazing difference. I run the back door speakers with most of the highs and lows attenuated to keep them from going all to hell at high volumes. Once the new eD 9.65i sets are shipping, I'm installing them in the front and moving the existing set to the rear and removing the filtering, and I expect the system to sound even better.

Definitely spring for the .2 model of the RF if you go that route. You can download the Windows software from RF and run it in Demo mode to get a feel for the amount of adjustments it will give you.

I'm very pleased with the system. My idea was to maintain factory looks, and I'm not a fan of the fit kits you have to run with aftermarket head units. I like surprising folks whe they crank the volume expecting factory sounds. I've built a few systems in the past with aftermarket headunits, and I'd say sound-wise, the SNS teamed up with the offboard amplification and 3sixty is as good or better.

It's definitely not the cheapest route compared to aftermarket headunits. If factory looks aren't important, you can get a hell of a hard-based nav system with camera integration etc etc for the same or less cost. It's all a matter of taste.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Good job!
The carputer + RF 3Sixty.2 has been done. Steve Meade installed that combo in an Escalade. If I had the $$$, that would be a definite possibility for my xB.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That install is just awesome...

For now I finally attenuated my front tweeters by 3dB. That was a giant PITA because my crossovers (where the tweeter switch is) are mounted in a very tight spot inside my door panels and they are stuck! Long story short... I was able to flip the switches without even moving the crossovers. It took some creative homemade tools though

The sound flattened out a little, which was a good thing. I took some good headphones (AKG K240 Studio) and compared the sound coming from my iPod though the headphones and through the car's AUX input. I consider myself to have a very good ear for stuff like this so I tried to match the sound of the car to what I heard in the headphones. I got pretty close using the SNS EQ and my amp's bass boost and crossover settings. What I couldn't achieve was that transparency that you hear with good speakers or good headphones. But the difference now is night and day. I'm diggin' it. Music hasn't sounded better in a long time. It might not be flat, but it's very pleasing.

I'm gonna ride this out a while and wait until I get the itch again. It shouldn't take too long...