Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Mild speaker upgrade with stock HU

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Mild speaker upgrade with stock HU

I have a 2012 xB with the stock Pioneer head unit. Overall the sound is OK, but I was wanting a little more. I have noticed the rear speakers seem really weak and muddled.

First off replacing the stock HU is out of the question. My wife likes the complete integration of it. Not gonna happen so don't bother. I know that is the best option though.

I have read mixed opinions of replacing just the speakers with the OEM HU.
I am by no means an audiophile, but I just want a little better sound. I am 43 and do have some mild hearing loss but want a little better sound. I have played around with the stock units settings and just can't get the rear speakers to sound good.

Would replacing the stock speakers with some decent replacements be worthwhile ($200 is the max budget, closer to $150 would be better) , or should I just deal with it as is?
Crutchfield shows both 5 1/4 and 6 1/2 fitting both front and rear. Any suggestions on what to use if it is worthwhile?

On a side note, searching about speakers, I came across a post about the C-pillar mount Bazooka subwoofer. The OP had modified it, but I was wondering about how well it works out of the box (with and without OEM speakers).

I also have thought about some sound deadening material for the future (doors and floor in spare tire area)
Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Problem with stock HUs don't put out enough power for aftermarket speakers. I replaced my speakers at first ( had the alpine head unit) with some kickers and it sounded terrible. If you are persistent on keeping the factory HU with aftermarket speakers an amplifier is a must imo.

Both front and rear can fit 6.5s with home made or bought adapters.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You could do what I did, if you replace the front speakers, take the factory front speaker and make it fit in the rear door. I only used the woofer, takes some cutting and some metal massaging to make it fit and redrill the screw holes I did it in my driveway. I would definitely upgrade to an amplifier, but if you really want some quality sound out of the door speakers it would be advised to do some sound dampening to the door panels and behind the speakers. Essentially if done right you create a speaker box out of the doors. Since I have done that my speakers sound sooo much better, great mid bass. But I am also running an aftermarket deck which powers the rear doors, and a small amp that is powering the fronts. Unfortunately it is about budget and what you are willing to spend.