Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

New xB, wanna put Pio touchscreen in...what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 06:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default New xB, wanna put Pio touchscreen in...what do I need?

Hello everyone! Just bought a new '13 xB and it came with the bottom level head unit. I am looking to move up to the Pioneer touchscreen version. What all do I need other than the unit itself to install it? Is there a separate HD module? Is the hands free mic already in place? Thanks for the help!

EDIT:

Let me be honest, I bought the xB with the intention of a full custom stereo using a stock radio into a Zapco processor so I never even looked at the stock radio at all. I see now it has HD, streaming BT, handsfree, etc. I assume that the touchscreen would only give me those functions with a nicer display? I still want the upgraded look, so if you have a like new touchscreen out of your vehicle that you want to sell, let me know. thanks!

Last edited by GLN305; 11-23-2013 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what's up - welcome the forums. first, a couple of things:

1) look at the build sheet on your '13 xb. if it was built past mid august 2013, it should have come with a touch screen head unit - its a base model head unit but it's just a touch screen. this is the link from scion stating that --- http://www.scion.com/blog/2013/08/15...or-all-models/

2) there are a couple of touch screen options. the one i mentioned in #1 is pretty much the standard head unit but with touch controls - nothing more than the unit you have now. switching to this would not give you any added benefits. this would give you the upgraded look but the touch screen gives you no more functionality than the unit you have now.

3) Scion offers a "BeSpoke premium audio" head unit for $1,200 if i recall correctly. However, just google for reviews on it and you will find tons of unhappy customers. To not being able to connect your device via bluetooth, to the glitchy controls and laggy interface, people all over the US have complained about this head unit. The scion facebook page is sprinkled with tons of unhappy customer complaints regarding the bespoke head unit / iphone connectivity issues. just keep this in mind if you want to go the BeSpoke route. Moreover, as per my last check, the unit does not work with iphone 5 or higher models as per several fb complaints which is ridiculous considering that phone is over a year old.

4) If you want aftermarket, go to crutchfield.com and see what they have available. an upgraded head unit from scion/toyota will be like $1500 but you can get units with far better options at crutchfield and for cheaper.

5) consider putting an ipad mini / android tablet in your dash :D

Anyway, congrats on the 2013 xb! post pics!

Last edited by midtowndesi; 11-24-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the info! My build date is before August 2013, so the current radio is apparently correct for my vehicle. I am really looking for the factory touchscreen for both the look and to replace the lack of intuitiveness of the extreme base unit. I have no desire for an aftermarket source unit due to the hideous spacers that are required to fill the gaps in on the sides. My plan it to route signal from the stock touchscreen straight into my Zapco processor and do all of my DSP work there. Once again, thanks for the info an I'll start my look for a touchscreen source unit.

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
what's up - welcome the forums. first, a couple of things:

1) look at the build sheet on your '13 xb. if it was built past mid august 2013, it should have come with a touch screen head unit - its a base model head unit but it's just a touch screen. this is the link from scion stating that --- http://www.scion.com/blog/2013/08/15...or-all-models/

2) there are a couple of touch screen options. the one i mentioned in #1 is pretty much the standard head unit but with touch controls - nothing more than the unit you have now. switching to this would not give you any added benefits. this would give you the upgraded look but the touch screen gives you no more functionality than the unit you have now.

3) Scion offers a "BeSpoke premium audio" head unit for $1,200 if i recall correctly. However, just google for reviews on it and you will find tons of unhappy customers. To not being able to connect your device via bluetooth, to the glitchy controls and laggy interface, people all over the US have complained about this head unit. The scion facebook page is sprinkled with tons of unhappy customer complaints regarding the bespoke head unit / iphone connectivity issues. just keep this in mind if you want to go the BeSpoke route. Moreover, as per my last check, the unit does not work with iphone 5 or higher models as per several fb complaints which is ridiculous considering that phone is over a year old.

4) If you want aftermarket, go to crutchfield.com and see what they have available. an upgraded head unit from scion/toyota will be like $1500 but you can get units with far better options at crutchfield and for cheaper.

5) consider putting an ipad mini / android tablet in your dash :D

Anyway, congrats on the 2013 xb! post pics!
Old 11-24-2013, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Scion-T...item4acc46ea0a

alternatively, you can call dealers to ask what the prices are on the unit. scour craigslist as well just in case
Old 11-24-2013, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks! I found a couple on Fleabay and think I'll snag one. Now I have to find a pin description for the plugs on the back so I can determine if there is line level audio anywhere. Thanks!

Originally Posted by midtowndesi
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Scion-T...item4acc46ea0a

alternatively, you can call dealers to ask what the prices are on the unit. scour craigslist as well just in case
Old 11-24-2013, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

New touchscreen source unit will be on its way to me Monday!